Author Topic: johnboy walton's customs updated 9/3/06 with Improved VSTC Greedos pg 9  (Read 38125 times)

Offline johnboy walton

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: johnboy walton's customs updated 7/31/06
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2006, 03:23 PM »
Here's a Tusken Chieftan I made last night.

I think he turned out pretty well, considering it was based on a cheap dollar tree or Big Lots skull-guy figure.  I wanted him to be a head honcho of some of the Tusken Raiders.  He had been captured and banished by Gardulla the Hutt, however with time, eventually broke away from his chains to come back and torment the illegal shipping of the Hutts through the Tatooine wastelands.

Parts used:
VTSC  - sand person head, hands
Dollar tree body, arms
POTF - hoth trooper feet
Saga - mastiff chains
and various other parts, bandoliers from some Kermit the Frog, cartridges, and kerchief...

Thanks for looking!  8)

Offline GGPiKE

• Youngling
  • ppka
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Toll Drank: That is incredible. I've always wanted to see a Sakiyan other then Djas Puhr again and again. That dollar tree figure seems to be an excellent platform for muscualar/barechested customs.  Great use of the parts from POTC! I keep wanting to pick some up to use, but wasn't sure what parts exactly would be usable, so now I know! The highlighting job looks good and is a lot more dynamic than plain old black Djas Puhr. Good work!

Tusken Chieftan: WOW. This is one of the best poses I have seen a sand person/Tusken Raider in. It looks like a great paint job, made to look that much more indimidating with the torn fabric of the arms and weathering you've done. What dollar tree figure did you use for this? Also, how did you ever think of looking to The Muppets for accessories?!

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2006, 03:31 PM »
That cheiftain is one of the coolest ciustoms I've ever seen.  I love the pose and the frayed fabric.  Almost looks like an unleashed figure.  Incredible work!
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline johnboy walton

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Thanks GGPiKE.

I wish I had taken a work-in-progress pic of the parts I used.  The dollar tree figure, was all black, with a glow-in-the-dark skull for a head.  I'll look for a picture at some point, but essentially a Skeletor looking guy.  I like that he had armour, and I used a gold leaf paint, then weathered it, bit I think it reflects the look of the female tuskens from the first saga line. 

As for muppets, I'm always looking for figures and potential parts at my local goodwill.  It was from a colonial-looking kermit - I'm sure from one of the movies. But I can get alot of stuff at goodwill for pretty cheap.    For instance, a POTF complete, loose Slave 1 the other day for $0.25.  Not too shabby.   ;D

Thanks again for the compliments.  8)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2006, 06:14 PM »
I agree about that torn fabric making this guy look more intimidating! That is an amazing Tuskan! Would be cool to see a diarama of this figure and his underlings plundering!
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline johnboy walton

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 3, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Here's a custom I made a little bit back, but wanted to share it.

I based it off of an old Joe Johnston sketch from the ESB Sketch book.

Here's a scan of the main influence:

And the actual figure:

8)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Nice, I like that.   The Japanese influence is quite apparent, in fact, that helmet basically looks like TMNT's Shredder.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006, 08:51 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
That is a great concept figure! I never knew about the ESB sketch book.
Did you add a cannister to your figure that is like the one on the belt of the sketched trooper?
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Whoa. Plain awesome  8)! I have the Art of ESB book. It's in there as well, along with other cool concept drawings.

What parts and materals did you use to make this one?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
I totally missed the Tusken.  He just kicks major @%&.  I love everything about him.  Of course, I kind of have a thing about tuskens myself.  I just wish you had a camera that could get you better photos.  Your customs deserve better images :) :) :)

Offline johnboy walton

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comments guys.  he does kinda look like Shredder.  ;)

Straxus - I did put a cannister on the back, I think it was from a 21st Century Soldier, I think.  I can try to take some new pics.

T65 - the parts for this one were a real mish-mash.  The torso and upper arms are from AT-AT pilot with Veers chest piece, lower arms ROTS Bail Organa, legs are from ROTS Plo Koon - sans boots, then added dollar tree boots, knees (I also cut the feet off a Gi Joe to give him the "stacked" stilt shoes).  The head was built around a #41 clone head, using parts from Veers, Cpt. Typho, and CC Pilot helmets. 

BrentS - I defintely want to get a new camera, but I'm trying to taske some better pics with the one I have until I get can afford it.   ;)  In case you missed it - I also posted a Sakiyan Jedi on pg. 7- -- I made the other day about the same time as the Tusken Raider.

I'm off and on working on a new helmet for an new version of the concept trooper, but want to use a ROTS Neimoidian Warrior for the body.  I don't suppose anyone has one they'd sell for cheap? ;D
« Last Edit: August 4, 2006, 10:28 AM by johnboy walton »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
I'm off and on working on a new helmet for the concept trooper, but want to use a ROTS Neimoidian Warrior for the body.  I don't suppose anyone has one they'd sell for cheap? ;D

On of my KMarts still has on on the shelf - $7 if you are interested :)

Offline johnboy walton

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
I'm off and on working on a new helmet for the concept trooper, but want to use a ROTS Neimoidian Warrior for the body.  I don't suppose anyone has one they'd sell for cheap? ;D

On of my KMarts still has on on the shelf - $7 if you are interested :)

You can always count on Kmart, huh?  :)  I was thinking something a little cheaper, I wish the KMart closest to me still had some of the Clone Wars figures.  I bought a couple for cheap a while back -  then they disappeared. ::)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Curious if you chose the canister that was part of the accessories of the "Pvt. Hugo Wolff" from the C21 Battle of the Bulge. I kept looking at the canister that came with that figure thinking how cool it would be on a clone, and after seeing your figure and reference sketch it was based on, I realized it would have been the perfect size as well!

Offline johnboy walton

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Straxus -   Good call.   
It did come from figure - though I think it was from an earlier release (as I bought it a good while back, but it's still the same figure, just popped the cannister right off the backpack).   It worked well, I added some white paint on his gear (I also used the ammo pouches on this figure), and it definately makes a good look to have some "snow" stuck around on it.  I need to try to get some better pics of the figure.