Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 161579 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #570 on: July 10, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Things that make you go "hmmm."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 10, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Regular is around $3.05 down here in NoVA.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 11, 2006, 09:35 AM »
It has gone up about a penny a day here from $2.90 now to $3.05 here in New England.  I heard on the news that the Hurricane SEASON is causing prices to rise.  Remind me again- what crucial-to-oil area was hit by a major hurricane this year?

Smoke and mirrors, and fat cats get fatter.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 11, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Let's hope the gods are nice to us this hurricane season...I'd hate to see what an actual hurricane would do to the gas prices considering "worry and speculation" have driven us past $3.00.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 28, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Can someone explain how yesterday's posted record proffits and record high at the pump prices aren't connected? Is it the tax breakes? ???
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 28, 2006, 12:36 PM »
I can't explain anything related to oil, gas prices and the Middle East - it defies all logic.

The only thing I can tell you is that I'm not one of the guys making money off of this!

>:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #576 on: July 28, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I can't explain anything related to oil, gas prices and the Middle East - it defies all logic.

The only thing I can tell you is that I'm not one of the guys making money off of this!

>:(
:) I am...my company has two oil refineries.  Thanks to them alone, we met all corporate profit goals in the 2nd quarter of the year.  And also, because of them, the other divisions in the company (including mine) will be getting large amounts of capital to pump in to make us a better, more efficient operation

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 28, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Gasoline costs roughly 40% more than it did a year ago.

A barrel of oil costs roughly 20% more than it did a year ago.

Yet Exxon is making $1,318 per second in PROFIT, $79,000 per minute.

BP is making $55,000 per minute.

Hmmm.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 1, 2006, 04:29 AM »
Our gas just went up today, from 99.9 per litre to 107.9. ******* bastards!  >:(

$1.189/L in Kelowna.  Ouch.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 1, 2006, 07:15 AM »
Our gas just went up today, from 99.9 per litre to 107.9. ******* bastards!  >:(

$1.189/L in Kelowna.  Ouch.

Welcome to civilization, Jesse! ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 7, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Jesus - part of the Alaskan pipeline is offline because of "corrosion" and the execs at BP don't know how this will affect gas prices.

I do - they will ****** increase.

Offline mousedroid

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 7, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Jesus - part of the Alaskan pipeline is offline because of "corrosion" and the execs at BP don't know how this will affect gas prices.

I heard predictions of an increase in oil prices of up to $10/barrel, which would probably translate to at least a $1/gallon increase in gasoline.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 7, 2006, 11:25 AM »
I paid $2.86 yesterday for 87 octane.

I am fortunate that I only fill-up my car 2 or 3 times a month, and my wife's truck about twice a month.  I can only imagine for you guys that drive 50+ miles a day.

But at this point, I watch the prices with ironic glee.  There is absolutley nothing we can do about it.  Not while we have a Prez & government supported by the Big Oil executives.  They simply do not care, the very people we "elect" to represent us.

Prices will never go down, b/c Big Oil will never letgo of the record-breaking profits.  They couldn't spend enough right now to even be considered wasteful.  At least we are all contributing to the owners * stockholders great grandchildern's education.

I personally am boycotting Exxon gas ever since I heard that their CEO retired with a 400 million dollar package, or whatever it was.  Doesn't really matter, since all Oil companies are making these record profits.

"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 7, 2006, 12:45 PM »
There is absolutley nothing we can do about it.

I don't know if I agree with that statement.  There's a lot we can do to conserve oil and try to keep prices under control.

-Trade in our gas guzzling SUV's and trucks for fuel efficient vehicles - see the new Yaris and Caliber for starters.  In 2008 DaimlerChrysler will be offering the Supercar to the States which averages 60 mpg (but is a death trap on wheels)!

-Carpool when possible.  Traveling to work with two other people reduces the amount of gas used considerably - especially if you factor in large populations.

-Only makes necessary trips.   I try to do this on  the weekends.  We'll get our grocery shopping and all other errands done on one trip vs. multiple trips during the week. 

-Use a bicycle for short trips. 

-Try not to speed.  I can't remember the numbers but for every 5 MPH over 65, your gas mileage goes down considerably (I'm thinking 10%).
« Last Edit: August 7, 2006, 12:47 PM by ruiner »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 7, 2006, 01:19 PM »
But at this point, I watch the prices with ironic glee.  There is absolutley nothing we can do about it.  Not while we have a Prez & government supported by the Big Oil executives.  They simply do not care, the very people we "elect" to represent us.

Prices will never go down, b/c Big Oil will never letgo of the record-breaking profits.  They couldn't spend enough right now to even be considered wasteful.  At least we are all contributing to the owners * stockholders great grandchildern's education.

I personally am boycotting Exxon gas ever since I heard that their CEO retired with a 400 million dollar package, or whatever it was.  Doesn't really matter, since all Oil companies are making these record profits.

i think the actual service you receive from the president always declines during a 2nd term.  they really have no incentive to do anything except try to push what ever agendas they have and maybe try to make a name for themselves in the history books.

with no govt intervention, SA is right that gas will not go down significantly.  our best hope for that is a candidate making big promises and maybe coming thru a little bit after the next election.

ironically, i almost always use Exxon because they almost always have the cheapest gas (without having to drive 50 to a flying J or something like that).  i don't mind a guy making some money for running his company well.