Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 7  (Read 45946 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 7
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Given the recent firestorm over the 'where's the female figures Hasbro?' question that came out of the JTA TF Q&A, I feel compelled - why I don't know, because I absolutely don't have the time in my day to stop and ponder the inequities facing adults with disposable income - to comment on the reaction to the possibility Ceremony Leia is cancelled today. I suppose it's my concern with where the hobby is headed. I've collected SW and SW toys since I was 3 years old. I'm 40 now. I'm like a lot of people that care about this mythology and these toys enough to have it be part of my entire life. I said before regarding the Q&A that women in SW is a problem with the brand itself. As a writer of fiction, as an avid reader and cinephile, I advocate for better female representation in media, especially Hollywood. I advocate for it in SW. My initial reaction to the TFA cast announcement was the same as a large number of people - wow, there's one girl. Hasbro can always do better by female figures - still waiting on Dorme, Satine and Night Sisters, FYI Hasbro - but what percentage of female characters in SW media get figures? Without being very scientific about it, I'd wager it's a much, much higher percentage than the number of women in SW vis-a-vis men.

I love my hobby, I love enthusiasm, but I don't like the rampant negativity or inattention to the facts that breeds undue speculation and further negativity. In all likelihood, this figure is not in wave 8. But before we attack Hasbro again for what it isn't doing re: female figures, and pile on a controversy that was created by the people currently piling on, can we:

1) Confirm with Hasbro that the figure is delayed/cancelled/whatever before saying it is? I understand that since 1995 most of this hobby has been rumors (and totally BS ones) but with the Toy Fair debacle, the hobby veered blindly into a cultural issue where speculation has no place. Debating a real, serious issue like female representation in media demands you have context and facts.

2) Understand that this is one of FOUR 3 3/4 inch Leia figures that will be available this year alone. When was the last time, outside of the Princess Leia collection back in '98, that this ever happened? Never, that's when. That doesn't take into consideration the Leia(s) we'll see from TFA this fall, of which we can be assured. These four OT Leia figures also comprise a group of 6 total female figures that are/will be available this spring/summer, including Sabine and Hera. When was the last time that happened? It could be it did with one of the prequels, not sure, but when you step back and take a look at the boy's aisle today, that's pretty uncommon if not unheard of. Most of these figures are in a segment of the line aimed directly at kids and not collectors.

3) Since The Black Series / Saga Legends lines launched in 2013, there have been 11 female figures including the ones mentioned above. Someone correct me if I've left any out.

4) This is all in addition to the Boushh Leia in the 6 inch range due soon. Now that wave was pulled for solicitation recently, but I'm thinking that has more to do (maybe Wave 8 does too) with the fact that there's this little movie called The Force Awakens coming out and Hasbro is running up against itself with product dropping 9/4. It's March, basically April, and we're looking at A LOT of TBS having a very limited shelf life before retail moves on. That sucks for the figures in these waves, and not just Leia.

I don't know. I think this is much ado about nothing, but I dislike strongly the type of internet 'post and it's journalism!' mentality that is currently running rampant through this hobby. 99% of this I shrug off because it's my hobby and I like my hobby, mostly, but lately I feel something has changed. Perspective is always healthy, especially when it comes to TOYS, and anyways. My two cents.

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 02:16 PM »
At this point I'm kind of hoping that wave 8 gets delayed until after EVII. Between the price hike and "last wave syndrome" the four new figures that are at one per case (Mosep, Han, Jawas and Boussh Leia) are going to be almost impossible to get at anywhere near a reasonable price.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Assuming this all pans out as said, I've ordered enough of the Wave 7 individuals I'm splitting with a local that it'll work out fine for us...  Either I'll order a case of 8 and just be done, or individuals, or whatever.  I'm not terribly concerned either way, but the 8 case breakdown is total ass.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 04:16 PM »
So Leia is dropped from waves 7 AND 8 now, YakFace is reporting. I'll still order a case of Wave 8, but there's very little from 7 that I want now.

Leia is delayed due to production issues with the soft goods still - coming later this year.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 04:25 PM »
The delay sucks I guess, but glad to know that at the end of the day Chewbacca is going to finally get his medal. :P

More interesting to me - if she's still coming "later this year", is that confirmation that there will indeed be "collector quality" 3.75" figures somewhere in the plan for the Fall? 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 04:59 PM »
I'm sure there will be plenty the closer we get to TFA.  But all the waiting and not knowing sucks balls.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 05:40 PM »
I wish we had a "favorite" option here because I'd have done so for Jeff's post.

I would also add to your post that an OT figure could be in the mix with TFA figures...  That's interesting too.  Mixing old/new together in a movie year will be interesting and maybe ease up that ice jam of figures and how we'll get our (Insert wished for OT figure here) when a new movie is out every year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I like the idea of the intermixing of OT and ST trilogy characters in assortments. I could see them doing a ultimate galactic hunt type thing where they insert one character from the original trilogy as a flashback figure that ships along side their TFA look.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Yeah I'm cool with it, and it helps collectors not freak over those obscure guys we've not gotten and the remakes we still want.  I'd love to see them kinda avoid OT over PT on it, but they paid for all of it so it is what it is.

Seeing some old guard mixed in with the new though, that'll be neat if it comes to fruition.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 09:39 AM »
They have been doing an ultimate galactic hunt for the last couple of years by not selling these at retail.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Finally got around to checking out the Viperskingdom auctions that Jesse posted to the front page.

Um... WTF went wrong with that Dagobah Luke/Vader?

For your consideration: 
- The SDCC press photo and the loose auction photos

- Is it just the angle of the pic that makes the head look out of proportion? 
- The production cape looks horrible compared to the SDCC cape.
- The SDCC pic did a great job of using the skirt to hide what looks like... unarticulated legs?  Really?  On a $13 'collector' figure?

After the awesomeness of 2014 #03 Vader, this new one...  just kinda sucks.   :(

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 9, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Umm, what is going on with the distribution on these figures?  Just saw that EE has a case of these for pre-order for $165!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've seen any replenishment of TBS figures at Target or TRU since Christmas.

Mission Series and Legends have been coming through (at least at Target) distribution for the past month, but nothing from TBS.

Anybody know if we're going to see these figures at retail or if these are all getting dumped overseas?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: April 9, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Just saw that EE has a case of these for pre-order for $165!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that would be the new $13 price tag plus EE pretty much hiding the shipping cost into the case this time (the extra $15 on top of the $150 BBTS and others are charging).

This wave was still planned for retail last time I checked, but at the rate we're going, no one is going to care -

- $13 price is pretty terrible for the repacked figures - Hoth Luke, Imp Navy Dude, Stormtrooper
- Ceremony Leia got punted into Fall 2015 (at the earliest, if not 2016)
- Chewbacca is pretty much just a new head on an old body for $13
- Dutch Vander is pretty much just a new head on an old body for $13
- Dagobah Vader is horrible for $13
- the scale on the clones is all over the place

:-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Holy ****balls...just saw some pics of the three clones standing next to each other...three different Heights.   I've been pretty silent on all of the Hasblow bashing of late but it is this kind of stuff that has me really doubting the thought process and Quality Control happening over there

I also saw a pic somewhere of Boushh and Slave Leia, there is a noticeable in those as well

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2015, 12:17 PM »
  :-\