Author Topic: The Professor's Dioramas updated 3.8.06  (Read 13076 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Professor's Dioramas updated 8.23.05
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Very nice Professor!!! How did you make the tiled floors? And how long did it take you to make this work of art?

Finally, look forward to some new pictures from Utapau and the Invisible Hand some time after Labor Day!

Oh, believe me. I most certainly am. ;D
"This is the way."

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Dioramas at The Jawa
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 08:11 PM »
Very nice Professor!!! How did you make the tiled floors? And how long did it take you to make this work of art?

Thanks, Sith Lord Chaos.  I hand painted the floors the two shades of gray and then used my sharpie and ruler to create the detail to appear like tiles.  I then went back and weathered it using deluded black acrylic paint and a paper towel.  I also used some silver and gold scorch marks.
"Go plug the professor into the back!"

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 08:30 PM »
Much simpler than I thought. It almost looked like they were individual tiles and you tiled them together. They are very well done. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Professor's Dioramas updated 8.23.05 with NEW pictures!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 06:06 AM »
Just have to say, no matter how many time I see these I really love them.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Holy crap those are beautiful!  Yes, that's right, I used 'crap' and 'beautiful' in the same sentence in a positive way. 

bjardkerr = wordsmith

How long does it take you to do something that detailed?

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 8, 2006, 08:27 PM »
I know it's been a while since I posted anything, especially on these boards, but I wanted to give an update on the sets that I've made in the past.  Most of the following are old, some dating to 1999.  So, join me for a journey into the past with some ideas about the future of my dioramas!

STAR WARS Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Watto's Shop and the Skywalker Hovel

Watto's shop is long since finished, but the hovel has been on my list of things to build since 1999.  This summer, expect that to be crossed off my list.

Jedi Temple

I first made a version of the Temple a few weeks before Episode I premiered using a picture from the Insider.  This is a completely new version, and includes a lower level.  Again, these are just previews.  More pictures in the future...

Theed City Playset

This was also a very early project.  I've made some revisions to it, but it's basically the same design I came up with back in the eighth grade.  I hope to do some more updating soon...

Pod Race Arena

Dating to soon after Episode I premiered is the Pod Race arena which has been repainted since its first creation back in 9/99.

Coruscant Skyline

No pics of this yet, but as early as March '99 I was designing buildings for Coruscant that resembled their movie counterparts not only inside but also outside.  To date there are two landing platform, the Jedi Temple, the Senate Office Building, Padmé's apartment, and more!

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 8, 2006, 08:28 PM »
STAR WARS Episode II Attack of the Clones

Dexter's Diner

Unfortunately, I'm at college and have no pictures of this set.  It's very small and honestly not my best work, but it makes good use of a sad, tired piece of packaging styrofoam.  It like the following dioramas date to the summer of 2002 although some have gone through minor revisions.

Naboo Retreat

Previously seen several years ago, this set includes not only the balcony but the dining room and fireplace along with a photoshopped background using movie screenshots.  Not my best work but also not among my favorite locations.

Padmé's Apartment

Also originally dating to 2002 is Padmé's Apartment including living room, elevator, balconies, and bed room.  No verandah...yet.

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 8, 2006, 08:30 PM »
STAR WARS Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Tantive IV

Dating to the summer of 2003 is this Tantive IV diorama.  Because it first appears in Episode III (if you watch the movies chronologically in terms of story), the pictures appear here.  I've seen much better versions, but this is my take.

Vader's Birthplace

A simple diorama featuring my own operating table and background plus some special effects in this picture at least (generated later by a computer...much like most of the movie itself).

Utapau

Simple set consisting of landing platform that be interchanged as the docking bay of the Trade Federation ship.  Expect more shots when I get the Commander Cody figure, and yes, that is the wrong starfighter, but it's the best I have.  And that is a custom MTT that has been revised based on a 1999 version (thus not entirely movie accurate but fitting my eighth grade sensibilities). 

Invisible Hand

I haven't had a chance to take detailed pictures of this set yet, but it's one of my largest.  It includes the hallway, hangar bay (which doubles from the Utapau diorama), bridge, and General's Quarters.  You can see distant shots of each of these in the following pictures.  Expect more detailed shots when Lushros Dofine arrives...

Senate Holding Office

Here's a set I completed this past summer to feature the duel between the most powerful Jedi and the most powerful Sith.

The Galactic Senate

This is the same set featured at www.thejawa.com/nuke but now features a sturdy base, new paint on the walls, and a larger podium for the chancellor...err...emperor.

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 8, 2006, 08:31 PM »
STAR WARS Episode IV A New Hope

Mos Eisley Spaceport

This wretched hive has been on the backburner for a while.  I have no shots, but I made several buildings back in 2003 and am in the midst of working on a Docking Bay 94 diorama.  So, expect a finished work and set by this summer.

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 8, 2006, 08:32 PM »
STAR WARS Episode VI The Empire Strikes Back

Echo Base

This set like many has been on the backburners for years.  I've had the design and made a fair start at the hangar.  Look for a change this summer.

Executor

As much as I like my Star Destroyer diorama, it is in great need of an update as the bridge (but not the other half) is five years old.  Seeing some of the recent great work inspires me to make a change...

Medical Frigate

Simple set duplicating the end of the movie.  It is built using styrofoam that stores test tubes as a base.  Also, it has a surprise when conveniently flipped around (see ROTJ!).

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 8, 2006, 08:37 PM »
STAR WARS Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Sail Barge

I have made both the sail barge and a skiff but have photographed neither.  This summer though...

Home One

One of the projects that had been on my list for years was the Rebel Briefing Room.  It was finally completed in 2004.  I would post more pictures, but I need to take new photographs with the new Madine and Calrissian.  Also, that surprise from the Medical Frigate was the bridge of this vehicle!

Emperor's Throne Room

Made in 2000 and revised several times since, this diorama, featured at www.thejawa.com/nuke is in need of some changes that might take shape soon...

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 8, 2006, 08:39 PM »
Wow....That looks like a ton of work! :o

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Professor's Dioramas updated 3.8.06
« Reply #27 on: March 8, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Wow Professor, I don't even know where to start with these.  Some of them I remember seeing before.  I love how you expand the Star Wars scenes with these awesome mini playset dioramas.  You really have a knack for these.

Too much for me to absorb at once, so I'll pick out a couple that really stand out to me.

Senate Holding Office - Wow, that looks like it's right out of the movie.  I wish I was so detailed in my backgrounds when I make them.  Got any more pics of this?  It's so cool!

Jedi Council - Really looks about perfect.  I like the ariel view of it a lot.  This had to take a lot of work.

Invisible Hand - This is a location that seems to get overlooked in ROTS.  It's a great area and you truly did it justice.  I would really like to see more pics of it if you have time.  Simple amazing.

:P

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #28 on: March 8, 2006, 11:19 PM »
I have to echo CHEWIE here. All of these... just WOW. You've posted so much, I don't even know where to begin!

I wish I had just a few of these... I'm thinking of ways I could stage scenes for a PN left and right :)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 8, 2006, 11:25 PM »
Um.... wow.... um nope... um  Holy Freakin' Cow!  Waaaaay to much to comment on at once.  First, my favorites:

Rebel Briefing room (too bad you can't get some of the background guys to sit with bended legs!)
The Medical Frigate
Tantive IV (ROTS)
and the Senate Holding Office.

Wow Wow Wow.   I can't imagine the time and effort that you put into these!