Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2008  (Read 86903 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2008
« Reply #210 on: December 1, 2008, 04:05 PM »
The details (whether true or not) are flowing now...was Derrick Ward at the club too?  Does it even matter?

A few interesting tidbits... it is reported that it was a Glock .40 Cal that he was "fumbling" with (the reporter's words not mine).. he is real lucky he didn't hit something vital, I would guess it just grazed him.

I don't see this affecting the Giants too negatively...sure they will get more questions about this than the game Sunday.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 2, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Listening to Bloomberg talking about Plaxico today left me with the strong impression that Burress is looking at a minimum of 3.5 years in jail.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #212 on: December 2, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #213 on: December 3, 2008, 01:55 AM »
He has a permit for the weapon, but not a permit in NY.  NY (NYC particularly) have very strict gun laws...he could be facing jail time.

I don't think the Giants will just cut him and leave it at that.  They care about the players there and will do everything they can to help him.  The Mara family is good about stuff like that.

IMO, you won't see Plaxico in a Giants uniform again.

At least not this year.  He's now on Non-football related Injured reserve and will not play the rest of this season.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 3, 2008, 09:54 AM »
At least not this year.  He's now on Non-football related Injured reserve and will not play the rest of this season.

If Burress is ever going to play in the NFL again, he'd better pray for a plea bargain, and even then he's likely to be in jail for a decent amount of time.  I doubt he's playing next year either.

Link

New York law requires a minimum of 31/2 years in prison for a conviction of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, the charge Burress faces.

"I don't think that anybody should be exempt from that," Bloomberg said. "It would be an outrage if we don't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

Not prosecuting celebrities would make "a sham, a mockery of the law," the mayor asserted.
The mandatory sentencing would not necessarily apply if Burress is offered a plea bargain.

Defense lawyers said prosecutors are loath to cut a deal. "The DAs . . . have been very hard-nosed on this," said veteran criminal defense lawyer Martin Geduldig. "They expect jail time."
« Last Edit: December 3, 2008, 09:54 AM by Rob »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 3, 2008, 05:41 PM »
I'm sure that they'll plead it down to something where he does no time.  I'm just glad that the Giants have the best TEAM going right now and can win without him.

All the other receivers have stepped up and the offense looks great.  I never thought that the Giants would win two Superbowls in a row (Historically, they never make the playoffs after winning the Superbowl), but this year it just might happen!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 3, 2008, 11:07 PM »
I'm sure that they'll plead it down to something where he does no time. 

I'm not so sure about that.  Did you hear the quotes from the Mayor?  He basically said there is a mandatory jail sentence for this crime and asked what we would be teaching our kids if we dished out something less than this for someone just because he's famous.  When the mayor singles you out as someone to make an example of I think you're going to do jail time, but we'll see.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 4, 2008, 01:38 AM »
I'm sure that they'll plead it down to something where he does no time.  I'm just glad that the Giants have the best TEAM going right now and can win without him.

Like I've been saying and has just been echoed, Bloomberg is on the war path over this.

Plax is going to jail - I'm as sure of this as Dressel was of a McCain victory.   :-X

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 4, 2008, 02:20 AM »
All the other receivers have stepped up and the offense looks great.  I never thought that the Giants would win two Superbowls in a row (Historically, they never make the playoffs after winning the Superbowl), but this year it just might happen!

Why do you have to go saying something stupid like that and possibly jinx it all?  The fact that the Giants are doing well is why I keep mum in this thread.  I'm happy that the Giants are putting most of the competition away in the first half of most of the games.  But that Cleveland loss was just a disgrace.

There's no excuse for Plax.  And if teammates were involved in covering things up?  That's even worse.  Teammates are supposed to stick together, but Antonio Pierce should've been trying to police Plax and not cover up for him.  There's also word that Ahmad Bradshaw might be facing charges for being involved in the coverup since he's on parole.  Things get even stickier since there's a rumor circulating in the NY media that teammate Steve Smith might have been held up at gunpoint last week, and that could be why Burress was carrying a gun.  It's still no excuse since NY City has some of the strictest gun laws in the country and you have to have some serious juice in order to get any kind of concealed carry permit for a handgun.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 4, 2008, 07:38 PM »
I'm happy that the Giants are putting most of the competition away in the first half of most of the games.  But that Cleveland loss was just a disgrace.

I think that Cleveland loss was the best thing that ever happened to them.  They were pretty cocky after the big win over Seattle the week before (they always have a tough time in Seattle and also after the bye week).  They've played a tough schedule and have come out well.  I just hope they can keep it up....it's been an exciting year to be a Giants fan!   :D

Any more news on that Minnesota judge that put an injunction against the NFL from suspending those Vikings players?  I haven't checked the news today.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 4, 2008, 11:16 PM »
Seattle is part of a tough schedule? ???
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 4, 2008, 11:55 PM »

Sure, for the Auburn Tigers.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 6, 2008, 02:02 AM »

If you play in the NFC West, yes. 

I think the win over Pittsburgh was much more impressive.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 6, 2008, 06:38 PM »

I think that Cleveland loss was the best thing that ever happened to them.  They were pretty cocky after the big win over Seattle the week before (they always have a tough time in Seattle and also after the bye week).  They've played a tough schedule and have come out well.  I just hope they can keep it up....it's been an exciting year to be a Giants fan!   :D

Read the whole sentence y'all.  The Giants seem to always have trouble when they go to Seattle and they also tend to lose after the bye week.  That game this year allowed the Giants to get two annoying monkeys off their back.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.