Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 127304 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #465 on: June 9, 2005, 12:21 AM »
Matt, I'd say Brent's poor attitude should disqualify him from receiving one of those.  I'm a much better alternative to get one.   :-*

But seriously, if you do manage to get an extra, I'd love to have it. 

[chaneling Colman] bite me [/Colman]

I'm bending the corners on your clones :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 25, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Anyone out there still seeing the Borders Chewbacca (cola colored version)?  I still need one and they just haven't been popping up on ebay.  Can anyone lend a hand please?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #467 on: June 25, 2005, 01:39 PM »
Ditto!

Brent, did you get the Holo Palpy, or whatever that second one was that they stuck in a package set?  Don't have that one either.

Nor do I have my Holo Sith Lords, that are STILL sitting at your house, 3 years after they were released...   ::)

:-*

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 13, 2005, 01:38 PM »
Series 5 preview from Gentle Giant:

Look good, I just don't like the ice base.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 13, 2005, 01:55 PM »
Actually, I like the ice base.

Snowtrooper!  AT-AT Driver!  Wampa!

This things seriously kick ass.  I was considering slowing down with the Bust-Ups, but not after seeing these pictures!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2005, 01:56 PM »
I personally like the look of these, especially seeing some more OT-based bust ups in the mix.  This wave might be the one that breaks me into this line.  If the Unleashed line is indeed ending, this might be a nice (cheap) alternative for me, and I'll probably mainly focus on the OT ones anyways.  Overall a pretty nice looking wave though I think, of course I always was a fan of the Hoth stuff :).

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Wonder what the variants will be?  Probably different arms for the troopers.  I'm hoping they have Han with a lisghtsaber in his hand for one.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Hoth Leia as a chase figure?

Thanks for posting those, they look awesome.  To be honest, I like this line better than the Hasbro 3 3/4" figures.  Limited number per year, low price, great sculpts.  I don't play with my figures at all, so the busts are completely satisfactory.  I don't miss having legs and a crotch on the figures at all :P

Like Jesse, I think the ice base is cool.  I'm sold. 

I have all the bust ups so far, except for two of the black hole stormtroopers (I do have one and that will do) plus the holo emperor and cola chewbacca.  Need to get those to catch up.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 13, 2005, 02:24 PM »
I just noticed in GH.com's report on this wave that they mentioned seeing two versions of Darth Vader with this wave at Comic-Con, one with a red "flame" base.  Maybe the only difference is that the "ice" is red, but that might be one variant.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2005, 03:36 PM »
I saw that too Brian, but it didn't make much sense to me.  They suggest a red and blue flame base as being the difference, but that's clearly ice, not flame.  I'd think that would be a fairly lame and unexplainable version.  GG usually isn't that strange with their selections, they tend to be fairly well reasoned.  Even the early prequel Yoda with OT figures was corrrected by putting an OT Yoda with wave 4 of the bustups to compensate.  In talking with the GG guy at C3 he basically admitted their error and that the inclusion of the OT Yoda in Series 4 was to make up for the earlier version for the OT purists.  They seem aware of their market much more so than some other companies.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #475 on: July 13, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Awesome.

This line will probably supplant 3.75" for me. I'd much rather chase down variants in this line than stupid repaints in Hasbro's line.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 13, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Awesome.

This line will probably supplant 3.75" for me. I'd much rather chase down variants in this line than stupid repaints in Hasbro's line.

Funny, I am starting to think the same thing. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #477 on: July 13, 2005, 10:59 PM »
I keep an eye peeled on Bust-Ups for customizing possibilities...  Their heads are GENERALLY a slightly larger size than Hasbro's sculpts, which is good, and that Hoth Luke hat is looking damn spiffy for removable hats on Hoth Troopers for the first time. :)

I'm always amazed how sloppy some of Hasbro's likenesses are in comparison to the mini-busts.  A shame really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2005, 09:25 AM »
I was always interested in this line, and even more so with this new wave announcements.  Then, after seeing what Hasbro is going to have to offer and where their products might be heading, its even more likely I head this way.  Like Ben mentioned, I'd rather look for the chases here than chase down repaints and repacks from Hasbro for the most part.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2005, 11:23 AM »
Packaged pick of Jango: