Author Topic: Jabba's Throne w/Oola  (Read 209656 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Jabba's Throne w/Oola
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2010, 10:34 AM »
It's more than I expected, so kudos to Hasbro for delivering a really detailed and comprehensive piece.  I still kind of think the original Oola figure is nice for what it is (plus, it's the original) so I'm sort of meh on that, but the rest of it is gangbusters.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2010, 11:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure he's a lot greener than he looks, look at closeups of him and Leia for starters

One thing I never knew...his tail has a huge cut on it

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:06 AM by Scott »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Nice surprise to see that the pillows are not molded to the base.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:24 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I think the whole set looks pretty great, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.  Time to retire the Ultra Jabba on vintage dais that I've got going in the display right now.  Hopefully this isn't too tough to find, since it is an exclusive.  Between this and last year's Dewback/AT-ST combo, it really seems like WM is getting the lion's share of good exclusives the past couple years - with "all new" stuff instead of just repaints.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2010, 02:49 PM »
Nice surprise to see that the pillows are not molded to the base.

I don't really know why everyone was so worked up over this.  I never thought it made any sense for them to be molded parts of the base because it complicated that sculpt and added paint apps, two things that could increase price.  By having them as separtate pieces, produce them in the color they need to be and save the paint apps.  It's less manpower and molds for them are rather basic, seems like it would be cheaper.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Actually it's been my understanding that the separate molds for the pillows (or other extra pieces) would increase the costs E, over simple splotches of paint on details added to the dais itself.  Not that paint aps don't cost money of course, but just that tooling for anything costs more generally.  The mold toolings are almost always the highest initial costs though, even if they're simple.  Extra pieces = extra moolah.  So that's partially why I'm surprised they're coming at all.  I figured we'd just get the dais like in the vintage days, and no pillows or whatnot.  Nothing separate or sculpted on/painted on.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2010, 04:21 PM »
I'm actually surprised we're getting the pillows as well, I didn't expect them.  It's just that once I saw them, I didn't really think that they were sculpted as part of the dais.  Not so much here, but over on the otheR Site, people were about to boil over on the topic.

My thought was that separate pieces that don't have to be painted don't cost additional manpower to paint.  They get molded, spit out and packaged.   Plus it gives Hasbro the opportunity to throw them in with another set or action figure if they wanted.  Probably I'm making the assumption that they are part of their own mold and don't have other parts of the dais with them.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2010, 04:46 PM »

One thing I never knew...his tail has a huge cut on it

Is there any EU stories about the cut? It's probably because the foam skin got cut during set dressing and they had to cover it up as a wound.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2010, 04:48 PM »
That's another detail I've missed all these years.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2010, 01:15 AM »
I was wondering what that nasty-looking thing on his tail was. I was tripping up for a while while looking at those pictures from Sandtroopers.com.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2010, 02:19 AM »
actually the tail cut IS a joint in the tail's design...  I seem to recall it in a documentary it coming apart or something, and getting "touched up" as a wound of sorts.

I think there's no story going with it, but I like the thoughts that it's a scar from his younger days, or something like that.  Like Capone's or Luccianno's on their face and whatnot.  Just part of the job. ;D

Jabba's one of those guys that, when you see him in other things (Clone Wars 2008, EU, etc.) you almost sort of think he's got a cool background and maybe isn't 100% a ******bag like he is in ROTJ...  Much like Boba I guess, or Jango.  Douchebags in the movies, but their EU and backstory makes them much less black/white as characters.

Hell, Bounty Hunter made you almost root for Jango in the Arena then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2010, 11:27 AM »
I may have misssd it in the discussion but is Oolaa a new sculpt or a re-pack? I'm def glad they are making Jabba but wouldn't it have made more sense to do him in 3 years for the 30th ann of RotJ? Nevertheless, glad they are making him.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I may have misssd it in the discussion but is Oolaa a new sculpt or a re-pack? I'm def glad they are making Jabba but wouldn't it have made more sense to do him in 3 years for the 30th ann of RotJ? Nevertheless, glad they are making him.

She's new.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2010, 05:17 PM »
I'd love to know the size specs for the throne, vs. the vintage one. This set looks excellent though...I'm totally ready for this.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I'd love to know the size specs for the throne, vs. the vintage one.

Sandtroopers neglected to do a side by side with the vinty version in their recent write up.  Hopefully that will come soon?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN