Author Topic: The Playset Thread  (Read 85172 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Playset Thread
« on: February 10, 2007, 03:37 PM »
With the news from Toy Fair trickling out slowly, I found it interesting the news on Gentle Giant's Bust-Up line and it moving to full figures and possibly scenes.  Scenes could equate "sets" or something nice to display figures in if the Bust-Up line stays at the current scale it is at...  right around 3.75" sized.

Could it be Gentle Giant are delving into an area they know Hasbro will not?  Since no photography of these unfinalized items was allowed, it's tough to say, but even if say the Death Star set with Tarkin (I must have this) and a Gunner is just a section of hallway it'll be something pretty bitching to display Death Star figures with I think.

The Endor one could be cool too... 

I'm at the least intrigued at how these will mesh with the basic Hasbro line...  I know I use bust-ups in customs, and sometimes the weapons are fantastic to mix into the Hasbro figures (Bossk's gun kicks much ass, as do lightsabers you get).  I was already looking forward to pilferring some of those Clone Wars Clone weapons like the mini-gun and Sae Sae's armor pieces.

I might be doing some ordering on GG stuff for once if this turns out to be some compatible items.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:41 PM by JesseVader08 »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 04:42 PM »
No.

I take it all you guys are familiar with star wars bustups but not familiar with the Simspons line?  In that picture are what I think are Simpsons versions of what they are planning on releasing in the Star Wars line.  Regular SW bustup on the left, regular TAC 3.75" figure on the right.  Playsets, if you will, in the middle.

I'm guessing you're all way too optimistic about this and what size these things are going to be.

I also think that if they move to full figures, they'll be half sized rather than a direct competitor for Hasbro.  I'd think Hasbro has something in their license that would prevent a competitor from doing something remarkably similar in plastic at a similar price point.  Attakus isn't the same because it's metal and about 10 x more expensive. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 04:44 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Playset Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:30 PM »
Good points Brent...  Definitely could be a letdown.  There might be something useable to them but perhaps not if that's any indication.  I'm not familiar with anything GG really, even the SW stuff to a great extent, so that could be a downer for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Jesse, I really, really... really, really, really hope that Gentle Giant is answering the playset call.  Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, I don't know.  I just hope that Gentle Giant is making mini scenes that are in scale with the 3-3/4 line... I know some people think it's foolish to think that we'lll ever get playsets or dioramas and are sick of hearing some people push for them... but I really do think that they could be a great addition to our collections and be beneficial for the company that produces them if they are made right.

I think if they did, given the quality that Gentle Giant is known for, that we would be very happy with it and Gentle Giant would cash in on market that just isn't being tapped.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but not going to be let down if Morbug's right, which he very well may be. 

:P

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 12:49 PM »
I would bet my money on Morbugs assessment as well, but I would be ectstatic if someone/anyone made some decent diorama/environments for the figures. I'm one of those people who has kept harping about these things (Hasbro Q & A be damned), so don't give up Chewie.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 03:30 PM »
I saw the diorama pieces that Gentle Giant was showing as part of their Bust Ups line.  Morgbug's comparison photo was pretty dead on in terms of the size of these pieces.  They're quite similar to the Tomy mini-dioramas of a couple of years ago, and those aren't all that fantastic.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Playset Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Given GG's precedent with the Simpsons line I'm not hopeful.  I used the exact wording of "Playset" (in quotes) in the title because I never was intending to imply actual playsets, but more possible "environments" if you will...  Something useful for display.

Like I've said to Brent though, if the floor's useable I think I'm fairly happy with that...  It's like the Bust-Up 3PO coming with part of the oil bath chamber...  That's cool to me.  But that's hardly constituting a playset by any means...  I'd have been happy with just something small/useable out of it though was more what I was running with in this thread.

Brent certainly makes every case WHY that won't happen, this is just speculation...  Not wishful thinking even or anything, just considering what could come of the sets.  Same as I'm always hoping for certain things from the Bust-Ups line to use with figures.  GG's not doing playsets though I'm afraid...  Best I think that can be hoped for is something that makes a nice elaborate stand for figures, or can be integrated into a diorama/custom if someone wanted to go the extra mile with a piece.  I'm ok with that though...  Like I said, I love the 3PO Bust-Up Oil Bath thing.  That's cool to me. :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:30 PM »
I love that piece too for the 3PO.  It's very cool.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Hasbro try something along that line someday with old golden rod.  Look at the big drum coming with Umpas (or whatever his name is) and the moisture vaporator with Luke.  They could make 3PO's oil bath too I would think rather easily.

As for what's going to come out from Gentle Giant, I don't mind saying I'm wishful thinking on it.  If these were to be in scale with Hasbro stuff these wouldn't really be playsets, but more of an enviroment to display figures in.  But we'll just have to wait and see.  I think most people would like to see something like that available.  Those that don't want them could pass on them. 

And yeah Dylan, I won't give up on this.  Someday, I think a company will finally come through.  Imagine that Attakus thing done by Gentle Giant, I wonder how much it would cost then if it was in plastic... it would be so damn cool... I know I'd shell out a few hundred bucks for it.  Heck, I'd pay a hundred just for the walls/hallway area of the Death Star that they made.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Not trying to be a party pooper, but how would Hasbro respond to someone infringing in a more or less direct way on their 3.75" license (direct as in plastic, same scale, same rough price point)? 

I know you want them and don't misunderstand, I would probably buy some too if they were what you and Jesse are envisioning, but between what they've (GG) already released, the licensing conflict potential and cost issues that Hasbro surely must have with this, I just can't expect these to be anything but what has already been released in the Simpsons/Corpse Bride/Hellboy bustups from Gentle Giant.

Be an optimist, and no one knows if I'm correct yet, but I'll side on the not happening the way you'd like version.   

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Thanks for ******** on everything, Brent.

>:(
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:33 PM »
Not trying to be a party pooper, but how would Hasbro respond to someone infringing in a more or less direct way on their 3.75" license (direct as in plastic, same scale, same rough price point)? 

I know you want them and don't misunderstand, I would probably buy some too if they were what you and Jesse are envisioning, but between what they've (GG) already released, the licensing conflict potential and cost issues that Hasbro surely must have with this, I just can't expect these to be anything but what has already been released in the Simpsons/Corpse Bride/Hellboy bustups from Gentle Giant.

Be an optimist, and no one knows if I'm correct yet, but I'll side on the not happening the way you'd like version.   

DAMN YOU, YOU OLD, SON OF A (just kidding).

I know you're probably right.  I just like thinking about these sort or things.  I think that Hasbro is very nervous about the playset/environments because what they've made in the past hasn't gone over too well... but I think a lot of that has to do with them making bad product...

BUT - I do think that Attakus potentially broke new ground with their Falcon/Death Star scene and has maybe opened the eyes of other companies.  Seems like a lot of collectors who see the Attakus set say they'd love to have it if it were more affordable... am I wrong?  Companies like Gentle Giant might be looking at doing something similar, but at a more affordable pricepoint.  And to counter it being used for Hasbro figures, perhaps they could do what Attakus did - make a line of 4" figures that are pre-posed statues for the scenes - you can use the setup with the new Gentle Giant 4" figures OR populate it with your Hasbro figures.  That's what I want to see. 

Maybe they could start with smaller sets, and move up from there if the smaller ones take off.  Or make them modular.  I'd be all over this. 

And I've given up on Hasbro making these.  I no longer want to see them try playsets.  If they make them, they'll screw them up.  They have proven that they have no idea how to make playsets that will sell.  For vehicles they've improved but they really don't seem to have a clue when it comes to playsets (or mini scenes).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 11:21 PM »

You sir, are welcome. :-*

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 12:03 AM »

You sir, are welcome. :-*

You owe me double in the next Secret Santa.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 12:29 AM »
I see it as a possibility after what has happened with SSC and the 12" line.  It's counter-intuitive to what you might think a toy giant like Hasbro is willing to spend money on, but it seems these smaller companies are making accurate products.  Let Hasbro make the figures and vehicles, and license out the diorama/playsets.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Playset Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 03:03 AM »
I'm all for that DB, but some food for thought on that is this...

The basic and 12" lines were really separated within the already separated SW group...  Hasbro works under a sort of bracketed "team" business model...  I can't recall the proper name for this from my school days off-hand though, but basically it separates things a lot.  I think what Hasbro would see is a part of a team being handled by another division instead of an entire team's project being handed off to someone...  if that makes sense how I worded that.   :-\

I think the playset sell-off is a much more distant possibility than handing off an entire figure line/sub-division of the Star Wars line would be.  Either way though, that's just some other thoughts on the matter.