Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 100427 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #390 on: October 9, 2009, 03:14 PM »
That is not from this year...two years ago I believe since the Vikes have worn their retro alternate jerseys against the Pack the last two years

Typical Dressel - living in the past.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 9, 2009, 03:21 PM »
That is not from this year...two years ago I believe since the Vikes have worn their retro alternate jerseys against the Pack the last two years

Typical Dressel - living in the past.   ;)

Examining your last 3 seasons is better than overexamining your 1st 4 games of a new season.

Ohhhhhhh.

You tell me which is a better sample size.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2009, 03:27 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 9, 2009, 03:37 PM »

Typical Dressel - living in the past.   ;)

Examining your last 3 seasons is better than overexamining your 1st 4 games of a new season.

Ohhhhhhh.

You tell me which is a better sample size.

A better sample size for what?   ???  If you're looking for data on how well a team performs in general, then sure, prior years are a great stat.  If you're gauging the strength of an exisiting team, then it makes no sense to look at anything prior to this season.  Not sure why we bother talking about it though - I'm confident I'll be in the playoffs and Scott has the utmost confidence in your team, so it looks like we're both safe until then.   :-*
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #393 on: October 9, 2009, 03:50 PM »
To answer your questions Justin,

I believe the Pens had a couple, I can't recall.  Hockey's different in that regard though, I think.  The refereeing in hockey makes the NFL look flawless, really.  The NHL has players very capable of selling things to the ref more than the NFL seems to have, as well.

Philly is a relatively goonish team...  No clue on their prior game's penalties to the current one, but it's Philly so I'd say they were pretty goonish in both games.  I wouldn't describe them as over-penalized last night really, but they had a few. 

Suffice it to say the game ended with one of their "stars" biting one of our defensemen on the hand...  It's Philly.  They're goons...  What are you going to do?  :-\  A good night of discipline for them is probably no one receiving anything above a misdemenor.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 9, 2009, 10:42 PM »

Did you by chance attend reading/comprehension in Canada?   

Keep dreaming Jedijman, you still haven't figured out the point in the fantasy thread.  You think Dressel's the only one that brought up outperforming.  You agreed with my argument about out/overperforming only because you think it supports your argument against Dressel.  Which is true, but it also therefore runs counter to the argument you were having with me.  If you think Dressel was exaggerating or out of line discussing your team outperforming itself to this point, and your response was that you were just being sarcastic to him, you can't then go and totally ignore your claims my team didn't meet the "gurus" expectation and suggest my D and K outperformed:

You had a nice score this week, but biggest point differntials versus the Guru came from your Houston defense and a kicker.  Talk about a team "over performing"

You can't be on both sides of the same argument sport.  So either the out/overperforming stuff is bunk for Dressel AND you, or it's valid for both.  What was that about comprehension? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 10, 2009, 12:20 AM »
Jesse - biting a guy's hand?  Holy crap.  Seriously, that's insane.

Brent - Dressel claimed my fantasy team was not in his top six because they were outperforming themselves.  I don't think it was in reference to the guru - he just thinks my guys are getting lucky stats or something and won't be as successful down the road I guess.  I don't buy into the outperforming arguement - the stats align to players performances and that's the end of the story.  It's pretty silly to say that a guy who had 15 TDs should have only had 7-8 because he's outperforming himself.

You came along during that discussion and said that you would have beaten me if not for having two of your top picks out.  I'm sure it sucks to lose F. Gore in the same week that Owens goes without a catch and that was definitely an advantage for me in our match-up.  However, I still won the game by 22pts and I don't think you could have caught up with the average stats of those two even if they were healthy and playing well that week.  How many points do you think you should have received for those two the week we played?  It's really a moot point because we'll never really know what would have happened if Owens played better and Gore wasn't injured.

Lastly, the quote you mentioned was a jab back at you and Dressel.  Your score really was aided by strong output from your kicker and defense.  They both scored 14pts, which I'm guessing is the season high for both of them.  But, the "over performing" bit, which I put in quotes to help signify the sarcasm was intended to be a comical reference back to DR's silly rationale behind my top-ranked team, as I already explained in the FFL thread. 

Look, we're talking about fantasy football here, so it's really not worth any hard feelings.  I personally think part of the fun about FFL is talking Smack - if your team wins or is doing well, then go talk big and have some fun with it.  I even posted to the effect that having a little smack talk would be fun.  I guarantee that if Dressel was in the #1 spot and 2nd in points, we'd be hearing something about yet another DR fantasy championship on the way.  That's the way it ought to be, but for some reason a few people seem to take every little comment as a personal attack instead of just having fun with it. If you'll read thru the discussion in the FFL thread again, I think you'll find that most of the comments in there are putting down my team first and foremost, so don't dish it out if you can't take it.  In fact, you may recall that my comment to you about over performing was a response to your post...

Take it from someone who's been in the last 3 consecutive JD super bowls - JMan's squad is currently outperforming themselves, and the bubble will pop.  The best 6 rosters, despite what the scoreboard says after 3 games, are Rob's, Bug's, mine, Ruiner's, Ryan's, and JayDouble's.

Dressel - have I made your top 6 yet or is the #1 team still "outperforming themselves?"   8)

I'm sure not worried about your team.  I lost Gore after one play and had a stinker of a TE.  I played you without my 2nd and 4th round picks essentially plus TO stunk out the joint having his first game without a reception in 185 games or so (though he may stink out the season if he keeps going).  And then you got Golden Girls without her 1st and 3rd round picks (on bye week).  I'm going out on a limb and suggesting you're too cocky at this point in the season.  :-*

And Brent - I whooped you by 22 points, end of story.  Add in the Guru's 8pts each for Owens and Gore and you still would have lost that game.  Owens had what, 60 yards this week?  Sorry, but he is not an elite receiver anymore.  You had a nice score this week, but biggest point differntials versus the Guru came from your Houston defense and a kicker.  Talk about a team "over performing" - Cutler and Gould only get to play Detroit twice my friend.

Come on - let's all agree to lighten up a little here guys.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #396 on: October 10, 2009, 02:29 AM »
Jesse - biting a guy's hand?  Holy crap.  Seriously, that's insane.

Hey, it's Philthydalphia...  All I know is I'd be getting a lot of medical tests if I were the guy bitten.  Rabies, all that stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2009, 10:42 PM »
So it is week 5 this year that I get fed up with players (on any team including the Cowboys) crying for a flag before they even get up off the ground after missing a pass or any other whiny Soccer-ish cry for a call. (and I like Soccer more than American Football at times).

Please let me be commissioner for a day.  Or let me run the rules committee, I just want to eject every player who even hints that they need a call.

Oh and who knows what the criteria is for when the "Booth" decides there needs to be a review?  When a team is driving down the field in the final minutes of the game and has few or no timeouts left but is disorganized enough that they may not make it but still complete a pass that NO-ONE seems to be disputing, is that when you call for a booth review, give the offense time to get their acts together and right personel and play called?  Does it matter if it is the home team?

Oh, and that is a question about real live football, not the pretend what-if stuff you guys are arguing outside of that thread in now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #398 on: October 12, 2009, 12:14 AM »
Heh...

Steelers looked ok, but man we've got some serious secondary issues.  Things are messed up because Polamalu is the keystone to that, but still it's really embarassing regardless.

3 sacks in a row and not one was Harrison.  That was surprisingly and impressive to see (a rarity).

Our offense is clicking, and Mendenhall is running his ass off...  I like his style better than Parker, though Parker's beloved here.  He's a nice guy I'm sure, but I've never been a huge fan because I prefer a different type of runner...  Especially with a line that seemingly worked a lot on pass-blocking and zilch on opening up the holes for a small/speedy back.  Lots of talk locally that, should Parker return and not look any different and before the turf-toe, he'll likely not even get an offer from the Steelers in the off-season.  I doubt he'd go unsigned, but I don't think he's proven reliable enough to earn the huge money in another city.

Our d-secondary, I don't know wtf is going on...  It looks bad.  Cleveland, our rivals, next week.  Always a good game here locally...  Cincy beating Baltimore sort of shocked me today too.  Also Denver over the Pats surprised me a little, though Denver's playing monster defense.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #399 on: October 12, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Vikings dominated the Rams yesterday...yawn...5-0...

Is anyone else surprised that the Titans after losing Haynesworth is 0-5?  That is an absolute shocker!  I knew Collins was a mirage last year but that team was 13-3 last year....ouch

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 12, 2009, 01:40 PM »
Vikings dominated the Rams yesterday...yawn...5-0...

Everyone dominates the Rams.

I thought Donnie Avery's garbage time TD dance was hilarious.  Down 4 TDs, and celebrating.

The Vikings are good, but the Giants are still #1 !
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 12, 2009, 02:34 PM »
I only saw bits and pieces of the Vikings game, but I'll give that defense some well deserved kudos.  They had two big goal line stands that were pretty amazing.  It's the Rams, so it's not like they were going to win regardless, but that was impressive.  Allen is a monster.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #402 on: October 12, 2009, 05:01 PM »
Is anyone else surprised that the Titans after losing Haynesworth is 0-5?

Yes, very much so.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 13, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Good game last night. Henne sure looked good.

And I got to see Brady play for the first time this year and it sure is hard to watch him as just a mediocre QB. I guess it shows how hard it is to come back from missing a whole season.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:08 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 13, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Man I wish I could have seen that game last night, it look like a very good one.  I work the night shift so I don't get to see or hear the Monday night games at work, unless the Vikings are playing. :P  I am glad that my Dolphins are finally starting play good (except the defense) and Henne's play is great and shocking. :) :o  When Pennington was lost for the year I thought we would be in trouble with a 2nd year guy like Henne in there, but so far so good with him at quarterback. :-\