Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135943 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 9, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Nightwing - It's kinda floating in a strange direction now, but I'm hanging in to see where it ends up...

Teen Titans - SEE ABOVE COMMENTS ON GEOFF JOHNS.

These are a couple of other titles I've been considering picking up lately.  I've always thought the Nightwing character was kind of cool, but haven't ever really read the comics.  It looks like he'll be getting a new look with issue #113.  Titans have always seemed like a pretty cool team to me too, and according to the "secret files" area of DC's site, Superboy is involved with the team too, so that's cool with me.  I've heard pretty good things about TT, and it seems like many of you here are reading it as well.  I'm just trying to sample a few things new and figure out a "core group" of monthly titles that I enjoy.  I can't get too crazy with a bunch of titles, because I can't afford it really.  Comics could be a pretty affordable hobby overall though, if it wasn't for all the Star Wars spending too :P.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2005, 12:02 PM »
I picked up a few comics this week, and decided to pick up an issue (the latest) of Nightwing to see what it was like.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but thumbing through it doesn't look too bad.  I am really enjoying the JLA comic right now, and the newest issue was pretty good I thought.  I'm looking into making this a monthly buy, depending on where things are headed.  I might give Teen Titans a try as well, when the next issue comes out (24th I think?).  On the Marvel side of things, I picked up the latest House of M (#5).  It wasn't too bad, but it is still building it seems.  Still waiting for it all to break loose.  I won't go into it further in case others haven't gotten it or read it yet.  I'm interested to see what will happen next though.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2005, 12:15 PM »
House of M continues the Scarlet Witch saga...correct?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Yeah, basically spinning out of the events of the whole Avengers Disassembled thingy, I think (I didn't actually read those issues).  Here's the little "summary" that appears at the beginning of each House of M issue.  I don't think any of this is spoilers at this point since it is old news, but I'll leave some space in case people don't want to see:

Magneto has lost the war against ordinary humans for which he sacrificed the well-being of his children.  Now he is forced to watch his daughter Wanda, the Scarlet Witch, suffer a loss of control over both her powers and her grip on reality.  Quicksilver, Wanda's brother PIetro, pleased with their estranged father to help her.

Mutant leader Charles Xavier, who is unable to help the Scarlet Witch, gathers the Avengers and X-Men to decide how to proceed.  The heroes are not convinced that killing Wanda is the only solution, so they travel to the mutant nation of Genosha to confront her, in the hope of discovering what it is that she wants.

When they get to the island, Wanda is missing, as are Magneto and Pietro.  The world the burns to white.

The rest of the summary covers what various characters wake up to, basically an alternate reality...or altered reality where lots of things have changed.  Again, I won't detail them here if people don't want to know.  As a side note, I saw that ComicBookResources.com has posted the sales numbers for July, if anyone is interested.  Sometimes it is interesting to see what are the "top sellers", or the ones the "majority" of the population seem to be interested in anyways.  Clicky Here

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2005, 02:27 PM »
I picked up a few comics this week, and decided to pick up an issue (the latest) of Nightwing to see what it was like.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but thumbing through it doesn't look too bad. 

The Nightwing book is headed in a really odd direction at the moment.

After a really bad decision (or rather a moment of in-action to prevent something), Dick's life took a very strange turn.  This, coupled with the recent War Game cross-over in the Bat-Books have taken Nightwing down a very strange road.  I'm still not sure where they are taking him.

His fall into crime and now team-up with Deathstroke ahve me going, "huh?"  Hopefully there is a payoff at the end of this story, I'd hate to see Dick become yet another "Good Guy fallen to the Bad Guys until he's saved" shtick.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2005, 03:26 PM »

The Nightwing book is headed in a really odd direction at the moment.

After a really bad decision (or rather a moment of in-action to prevent something), Dick's life took a very strange turn.  This, coupled with the recent War Game cross-over in the Bat-Books have taken Nightwing down a very strange road.  I'm still not sure where they are taking him.

His fall into crime and now team-up with Deathstroke ahve me going, "huh?"  Hopefully there is a payoff at the end of this story, I'd hate to see Dick become yet another "Good Guy fallen to the Bad Guys until he's saved" shtick.

Jeff
|

*SPOILERS*

I hear that Jeff, as I just picked up the latest Birds of Prey based on curiousness, and there's Nightwing and Huntress, and Dicks a criminal. Think this has anything with Bruce running for President (rumored)?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2005, 03:02 PM »
Just thought I'd check in and see what everyone is reading now, and what you're really enjoying?  I just made a run to the comic book store this week and picked up a handful of books, although I haven't read them all yet.  Here's a few things I've been reading lately:

Astonishing X-Men - Picked up the first TPB, and I really enjoyed it.  I hope to pick up the rest (2nd TPB) in a few weeks.  I did read the "finale" issue last month, and liked that quite a bit.  I'm looking forward to this series starting up again in 2006.  I'm trying to focus in on one X-book to keep up with, and it might be this one.

Amazing Spider-Man - Subscribed, and haven't read the latest one yet.  Currently on a Hydra story arc, and it hasn't been too bad.

Superman/Batman - I always enjoy this book, and just picked up the latest (#22) this week.  I haven't had a chance to read that one yet either, but the story has been good.  This book does seem mighty inconsistent with its release dates though, which is sort of annoying.

House of M (and tie ins) - I've been reading all the House of M issues, as well as the F4 and Spidey tie-ins, and I've been enjoying it so far.  I know reaction has been mixed on the whole House of M thing (isn't it always?), but I'm liking it so far, and really looking forward to the pay off.  Two issues left.

JLA - I just read the final book this week of the "Crisis of Conscience" storyline, which leads into Infinite Crisis.  I've really enjoyed JLA lately, and this arc in particular has been good I think.  Definitely looking forward to Infinite Crisis, to see what this is all about.  I've seen a number of different rumors, it will be interesting to see.

Superman - Another subscription, but its always a couple weeks late.  The last one had Bizarro (and Zoom) appear, and it wasn't too bad.  Not a bad book, but I'm enjoying JLA and Superman/Batman a little more right now.

Flash - I skipped this week's issue so far, but I've been enjoying them otherwise.  The whole rogue's arc was quite good I thought.  Johns just ended his run on this title, and I was kind of disappointed to see him go.

Fantastic Four - Subscribed.  Haven't received the latest issue yet, but it should be here any time.  I'm debating whether to renew or not, but I probably will.  Nothing overly exciting right now to me, but it hasn't been too bad either.

New Avengers - I started off with this book, and then didn't buy any issues for awhile, and then bought the last two again.  They are just starting off the "Ronin" storyline this week, delving into who exactly that mysterious ninja is.  I'll continue through this arc, then after that I'll see.

Star Wars - I haven't read a lot of Star Wars for quite some time, but picked up the TPBs of "A New Hope" and "Empire Strikes Back" this week because I found them cheap.  I also picked up Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Leader #1 yesterday just to check it out.  Otherwise, I'm waiting to see what titles will be there after the new year comes I think.

Ultimate Spidey - I have a number of the TPBs, but haven't bought any for awhile.  I picked up a single issue this week just to check it out again, but I'll probably stick to the trades with this as it just seems easier.  I haven't read the newest one I picked up yet (#83), but it had Moon Knight guest starring and I thought I'd check it out.

Anyways, that got wordier than I planned...but what have you been reading lately, or what's been good?  I honestly need to try to narrow my "regular" books, since it seems like I'm picking up more and more comics each week.  There are just so many that interest me, its hard to know where to cut off:

Marvel - Amazing Spidey, Fantastic Four, House of M (ending soon), Astonishing X-Men, New Avengers - as well as "Ultimate" titles like Spidey, and considering checking out the others (F4, X-Men, Ultimates).
DC - Superman, JLA, the Flash, Batman, Superman/Batman - upcoming "All Star Superman", Infinite Crisis

I'm looking forward to the whole Infinite Crisis thing (especially after the ending of this week's JLA), and to continuing House of M (and the aftermath).  There's a big Spidey event coming up (The Other: Evolve or Die) that I'm considering whether I want to check out or not.  Anyways, just wanted to get the ball rolling on some comic discussion, and see what everyone is enjoying.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2005, 02:39 PM »
Some good stuff out today, at least that I'm interested in (and picked up at lunch today):

JLA #120 - First post-Crisis of Conscience issue.

House of M #7 - Mini-series "Event" continues...

Infinite Crisis #1 - DC's big event begins.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 - New title, beginning of "The Other" storyline.

I also picked up the latest issue of Ultimate X-Men, just to check out the title.  Otherwise, I'm mainly excited about the big "event" issues, Infinite Crisis and House of M.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2005, 05:11 PM »
The titles I've been getting regularly are House of M, Ultimates 2, New Avengers, and then the occasional cross-over or What If? or Elseworlds.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Just thought I'd check in and see what everyone is reading now...what is good, what isn't, etc.  For me, its been my "regulars" -

Subscribed Titles:
Amazing Spider-Man - I've actually been picking up Friendly Neighborhood Spidey and MK Spidey as well with this whole "the Other" storyline which has been a bit...different...so far.  I am thinking about picking up FN Spidey regularly after this though, as I like the team of Peter David/Mike Wieringo.

X-Men - After House of M, I've been reading the "adjectiveless" X-Men title fairly regularly, and checked out New Excalibur and some other titles as well.  I'm waiting for Astonishing to start up again, as I really enjoyed the first run.

Fantastic Four - Another "subscription" for me, always seems to be pretty good to me.

Superman - This, along with most of DC, is usually tied in with Infinite Crisis nowadays, which is a good thing.  I've also been picking up Action Comics and Adventures of... every so often.

Limited Stuff

Marvel - House of M finished up awhile ago, and I enjoyed it.  Lots of various titles dealing with the "aftermath" of things now, with some Decimation tie-ins, etc.  I've also checked out the X-Men: Deadly Genesis stuff, and that could prove interesting.

DC - Infinite Crisis: seems like it has been forever since the last issue, but that's probably partially because I've really liked it so far.  Can't wait for the next one to see what is going to happen.  I also picked up the first issue of "All Star Superman", and I hope to continue reading that.

Other Titles

Flash - In the middle of an arc right now, and sounds like the comic itself will be coming to an end in 2006...at least for awhile, maybe they'll do a "restart/renumbering" thing with it or something.  I just know that it isn't in the solicitations past February or so.

JLA - I'm reading the "World Without a Justice League" stuff right now, and it hasn't been too bad.  Nothing outstanding necessarily though.  This is another title I've heard rumors of leaving, but I'm sure it will just get a new title or something, because I can't see DC without a Justice League.  We'll see where it goes.

Superman/Batman - Always enjoy this comic, but it has been quite a break since the last issue.  Nothing new here.

New Avengers - I picked up/read the "Ronin" arc, and it was alright.  I do kind of like this book overall though, although I'm hoping more will start happening soon.

Batman - I've been picking it up here and there, but not as much lately.

Otherwise, what has everyone else been reading or enjoying?  I'm trying to figure out what comics I want to stay consistent with going into next year, as the Mrs. thinks between these and SW, I'm spending more than enough (and she's right).  I always try to stick with my big 4 (Spider-Man, Superman, X-Men, Fantastic Four) and I'd also like to add Friendly Neighborhood Spidey to the "regulars" as well.  Flash, JLA, and Superman/Batman are all regular buys for me too, but those titles seem to be a bit up in the air right now.  As far as stuff I'm not reading, I've been interested in getting back into some of the "Ultimate" titles again.  I've heard amazing stuff about Ultimates 2, and it has really gotten me interested in checking it out.  It seems to be one of the most universally praised comics nowadays.  I read quite a bit of Ultimate Spidey, and I'm thinking about starting that up again too, but we'll see.  I really need to narrow things up a bit, as always :P.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Hey Brian,

Have you heard about DC's OYL Project (OYL = One Year Later)?

That is the reason that some of the titles are ending in February and "disappearing" - titles like Flash, JLA, Wonder Woman.  Plus they gotta end some titles to keep the speculation going for who dies in the InfCrises story.   ;)

It will be interesting once March gets here and we see a drastically re-vamped DCU with many heroes replaced/renamed.  All kinds of rumors abound on the net about who's getting the axe (Flash/Batman) and who will replace them...  :o
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2005, 04:10 PM »
I had heard a little bit about the OYL stuff, but wasn't sure where it was all headed.  It will definitely be interesting to see what the DCU will be like come springtime next year.  I've also heard about the "52" series coming from DC, that should "fill in the gaps" so to speak with that missing year.  The rumors have been crazy, it will be fun to see.  Definitely some good stuff coming out of DC, and I'm jazzed to hear that it sounds like Geoff Johns will be taking over Superman next year as well.  I'm really curious to see what will happen with "the Flash", he's always been one of my favorites and I'd hate for there to be no comic out.  We'll see I guess.  Too many good comics, too little money :).

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2005, 07:15 PM »
Is anyone reading the Multi-title cross over entitled "The Other".  It's going through a bunch of the Spider-Man titles right now.  I only really read Amazing Spider-Man due to Joe Straczynski's writing (you may remember him from Babylon 5).

The story is pretty good, although I'm missing a couple of issues and need to track them down.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Is anyone reading the Multi-title cross over entitled "The Other".  It's going through a bunch of the Spider-Man titles right now.  I only really read Amazing Spider-Man due to Joe Straczynski's writing (you may remember him from Babylon 5).

The story is pretty good, although I'm missing a couple of issues and need to track them down.

Yeah, I've been reading it throughout.  I usually just read Amazing as well, but have picked up the other issues to read this whole crossover event.  I'm actually thinking about picking up Friendly Neighborhood Spidey regularly after this too, as Peter David will be writing and I'm a fan of Ringo's art as well.  It has definitely been an interesting...if different...story so far.  From what I've seen, some like it...some hate it.  I'm interested to see where it ends up, I've heard rumors of a new costume later on as well.  We'll see.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2005, 10:45 AM »
HOUSE of M

Can someone please send me an PM filling me in on what the whole House of M thing is?

I read a bunch of comics, but didn't feel the need to go and get all the other titles that I don't read to see this whole House of M thing since it started 4 months ago and didn't want a bunch of comics that I don't collect laying around.

Thanks
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!