Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135927 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2007, 03:40 PM »
Good God, that is one horrendous looking costume.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2007, 04:59 PM »
I think that's more Marvel trickery.  Lately, they seem to be taking an upcoming summer comic cover and doctoring it up for "fun".

Newsarama showed off a Cap teaser image last week too...

New Captain America?

Based off this Real Marvel Cover:

I don't think they'd give it away so soon, I think the "Cap is Dead"  story will play out a bit longer before someone else replaces him...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2007, 03:18 PM »
I was curious, for those of you who buy/read comics these days - how many titles do you end up picking up each month?  Much like collecting, I'm really looking to see if I can scale things back a little bit - but there just seems to be so many titles I'm interested in.  Ideally, it would be nice to limit it to 10 (or less), but honestly - here's the comics I've been picking up at least somewhat regularly recently:

Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
Astonishing X-Men
Ultimate Spider-Man
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
Sensational Spider-Man
Captain America

Star Wars: Legacy

Justice League of America
Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Flash: The Fastest Man Alive
Superman/Batman
Brave and the Bold

That's around 17 total, give or take, as well as the occasional other book I'll pick up here and there.  I'm more of a Marvel reader overall, and I'm more familiar with that universe, but I've been picking up some DC stuff as well.  I cut back to one Superman book (Action instead of Superman), and I'm attempting to do the same with Batman (but that's been tougher).  I enjoy reading all the books, and would probably read even more, but I've just got to make some tough choices and cut some.  Anyways, I was just curious for the comic readers here - how many books do you usually pick up each month.  How do you decide which to keep and which to skip?  If I didn't collect other stuff (action figures/etc.) already, it wouldn't be a problem - but I spend enough there that I feel kind of bad spending a lot on comics as well.  What do your lists look like?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2007, 03:32 PM »
What do your lists look like?

Batman
Detective Cmoics
Nightwing
Robin
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Justice League of America

I started to read the "Flash: The Fastest Man Alive" relaunch, but I dropped it after 2 issues of "Bart-Flash".  ::)  He was tolerable as Kid Flash, but I miss Wally (why'd they ditch him anyway? >:()

I pick up the occasional special and tie-in books, but those are my core.  No regular Marvels or Dark Horse for me, but I do pick up things on referral here and there.  For the SW comics, it's totally story dependant (for example, I'll read a Vader or Han story arc, but I skip the "random Rebel EU story" arcs).

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2007, 03:32 PM »
Simply because of cost, I really limit myself on what I buy!! Also because of the length of comic books these days!! It seems like half the pages that they used to be, but yet 4 times what they used to cost!! >:( I know why, because of the limited nature of comic shops!!

Anyhow, here is what I try to pick up on a monthly basis:

Exiles - has been one of my faves since I can remember. Always a fun adventure book.

Thunderbolts - Even before the big changeup I tried to pick up this series. Sure not the best artwork, and the writing isn't on par with some of the other popular books, I like it because it reminds me of the good ole days of comics.

Amazing Spider Man - Just got back into the title because of Civil War, very good writing, and fresh artwork will probably have me sticking around till the change up the line up!

JSA/JLA  - The only 2 DC books I pick up. I like em, have most of the major characters, so I don't have to pick up individual titles!! ;D

Young Avengers - Another great book, too bad it never comes out on time. I picked up the Runawaywas/YA book during Civil War, hopefully YA comes back!!

Mini Series

Civil War

Phoenix Endsong/Warsong

X-23 (I have loved both mini series, the artwork is always gorgeous, and the story is always gripping!! That lil girl is a death machine on 2 feet!!)

Books I'm no longer buying:

New Avengers - Just didn't like the artwork, in fact I hated the guest artists, and don't like the current one!! Finch you need to come back, no one can draw Spider Woman like you!! ;)

Books I will be giving a try:

Mighty Avengers - Want to see what, IMHO, traiterous Avengers team is going to be like!!

That's it, not one X-Men book!! That used to be my life as a kid, but no longer!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2007, 03:44 PM »
started to read the "Flash: The Fastest Man Alive" relaunch, but I dropped it after 2 issues of "Bart-Flash".    He was tolerable as Kid Flash, but I miss Wally (why'd they ditch him anyway? )

I was in the same boat Jeff.  I picked up the first two issues, then dropped it until the last two (9 and 10) came out.  There was a new writer (Guggenheim) that took over at #9, so I decided to give it another shot.  It is much better than the previous writing team, but I'm still considering dropping it too.  I'm just more of a fan of Wally West (I agree, why did they get rid of him?) as Flash, and its not the same to me this way.  I think I'm just "settling", and buying it because "its Flash".  Your pull list looks a lot more manageable than mine though, I need to really think it through again.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Well since I don't get to the comic shop that often, my buy today was more than usual!! Had some catching up to do!!

X-23 - Ok, if you haven't picked up this or the previous series, why?? Why do you read comics in the first place if you don't pick up this must read comic!! The artwork is gorgeous, some of the best stuff I have ever seen, clean, simple, but colorful and detailed. However it doesn't end there, the story is phenomenal!! I mean this is the kind of stuff Wolverine should be doing, but isn't!! The kind of stuff this lil girl does is unbelievable!! Check out the kitchen scene from issue 4 if you don't believe me!! Best part, is that you care about the characters, you really do. So when something bad happens, you feel sorry for em!! I can't stress enough, a must read book!! I will pick up anything the team Kyle, Yost, and Choi do with this character!!

Amazing Spider Man - Well gotta say, I'm back into Spidey, and I'm loving it. Takes me back to when I first got into comics and he ahd the black costume. Of course that was the symbiote costume, but that's a different story. Anyhow, sharp story, great drawings, and a darker Parker now that...well read the story to see what drove him back the Black costume. What he does is whoa!

JSA

JLA - Very good issue with the JSA fighting Amazo, that's one tough ass robot, and Red Tornado taking on a very smart and sadistic Solomon Grundy. Loved seeing that even the heavy hitters could not take out Amazo. who does and how they do it, is very, very cool!

The Mighty Avengers - I'm hoping the team for this book stays for a while!! I left New Avengers cause the artist left, I don't like Yu, and hated the interim artists until he got there! So this will be my only Avengers book for now!! Interesting start, a bit wordy with the dialogue between Ms. Marvel and Shell head. The introduction of Ares, quite funny. The battle with the villain is done pretty well. I like the book so far, and will give it a try for a while!!

I have a few more, but haven't got to em yet,

Thunderbolts 111 & 112

Exiles

Fantastic Four

"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 2, 2007, 10:35 AM »
So, what's everyone been reading lately?  I heard that the Sinestro Corps special released last week was pretty amazing (I thought of you Jeff), and it sounds like Green Lantern stuff might be getting pretty interesting.  I'm starting to consider what comics I want to continue reading, and setting up a pull list at our local store.  I haven't ever done that before, but the little one will be here soon, and I know I won't get over there as much (also the reason I've started preordering more SW stuff too).

I'm subscribed to a few comics from Marvel, and I'm kind of excited to hear that Amazing will be going to 3x a month now (replacing the other two titles).  I bought all three most of the time anyways, so its not much difference to me I guess, and I like that it might allow for a more tightly woven storyline/continuity with one title.  I might be in the minority with something like that though.  I've also continued to read Fantastic Four, Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate Spidey, and the Avengers books.  I picked up the first issue of World War Hulk and enjoyed it, so I'm planning on continuing that as well (just the main book though).  I'm more of a Marvel reader overall, but some of the DC stuff is getting interesting as well.  I think if I was more familiar with the DCU history, it might be ever more tempting.  I pick up Detective and JLA regularly, and I'm considering jumping back into Flash since Wally will be coming back this fall.  I also pick up Star Wars: Legacy, which I think has been really good.  I'm thinking about jumping on board GI Joe: America's Elite with Issue 25, since that is starting the big World War III storyline from what I understand.  Anyways, just curious what everyone's been reading/enjoying.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #129 on: July 2, 2007, 12:55 PM »
I was reading the Civil War, World War Hulk, and Annihilation stuff. I just dropped everything though. Before Civil War i had not bought a comic in at least 10 years. I didnt want to get completely sucked back in. I am curious how WWHulk and Annihilation play out though.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 2, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Yeah, there are times I think I should have never started back up again too.  Much like Star Wars, I started only with Amazing Spider-Man, then added Ultimate Spider-Man, then Fantastic Four, then X-Men, and so on.  I keep telling myself, if I need to drop it I could, and just continue my subscription to Amazing and be happy with that.  Then I make it worse by wanting to start something completely new like the Joe comics.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: July 2, 2007, 09:16 PM »
I heard that the Sinestro Corps special released last week was pretty amazing (I thought of you Jeff), and it sounds like Green Lantern stuff might be getting pretty interesting. 

Between the GL "Sinestro War" stuff, the JLA "Lightning Saga" (including the return of a certain someone to the DCU) , and the stuff going on in Flash, I have been in full DC mania mode.

My list looks like this:
- Countdown
- Batman
- Detective Comics
- Nightwing
- Robin
- Flash
- Green Lantern 
- Green Lantern Corps
- JLA

upcoming:
- All New Booster Gold
- JLA GreenArrow/Black Canary Wedding Special Stuff

I'm loving Johns work on GL -

SPOILERS

The Sinestro book was fantastic.  I can't wait for this thing to kick into high gear - the worst five villians in GL/DC history uniting to do battle with the entire 7200 member GLC?  *drool*  It was crazy to see the Anti-Monitor again...

And Flash?  Don't even get me started on Flash #13, poor Bart Allen, and the return of the Wests!   ;D

I'm also digging Countdown, though it seems to be a bit slower paced than 52 was...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2007, 12:29 PM »
I finally picked up all my books that have been in storage for 15+ years and started bagging an boarding all of them.  I was quite surprised to what I had and the condition of most.  I faithfully collected Marvel from 1975 through 1991 and all my titles are complete runs with no missing issues.  Would like to complete the 70's at some point since that was my favorite era. I quit collecting in '91 when the art just went in a different direction and I quickly lost interest.  Here's some of the hightlights

Fantastic Four #170-325
Hulk #200-350
Cap America #200-350
Avengers #160-325
X-MEN #110-275
Daredevil #115-250
Iron Man #90-250
Spider-Man #125-350
Star Wars #1-107
Defenders #5-125
Ghost Rider #20-81
Power Man & Iron Fist #20-125
Thor #275-350
Doc Strange #20-75
Peter Parker #4-75

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2007, 01:42 PM »
I've been a Marvel whore since day one of me reading comics.  I'd grab the occasional DC book, but Marvel was it for me.  I can't say that anymore.  The majority of my monthly pulls are now DC books.  I guess it goes to show what good writing and stories can do.  Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-man are my only two Marvel books I grab every month.  I recently dropped Ultimate FF, the 616 FF and Civil War and all its tie ins were pretty underwhelming.  I'm interested in WWH, but didn't read Planet Hulk, so I'll probably wait for the trades to come out and read it then.  I've also decided to drop the Star Wars books.  Rebellion is boring me to tears, the good Clone Wars stuff that was in Republic is no more and Legacy just doesn't grab me (it really doesn't feel like SW to me).

From DC I grab each month:  Teen Titans, Justice Society, Justice League, Outsiders, Batman and Countdown (and grabbed each week of 52). 

GIJoe and Savage Dragon (which is way behind schedule) are the only two non DC or Marvel books that I grab.  I don't get the monthlies of Powers or 100 Bullets, but starting to read the TPBs and will read them that way. 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:56 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2007, 03:13 PM »
I quit collecting in '91 when the art just went in a different direction and I quickly lost interest. 

Boobs over plot, that era beginning in the early 90s? ;)  Or are you referring to the multiple cover era?  Has Valiant resurfaced as a company yet with the old titles :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.