Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 367211 times)

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #720 on: July 15, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Yeah, I know.  Thing is, I've got a couple non-imperials as it is (bossk, gammorean, 3p0), and I'm planning on getting the Yoda.  But, if I do stray too much from imperials I would rather get the characters in their "classic" outfits (which in my mind is ANH).
Bossk and the gammorean don't really fit that mold, but Bossk has always been my favorite bounty hunter, and the Gammorean...
...well, those guys always amused me I guess.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 15, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Classic Lando from ANH?  Just kidding, were I to get a Lando I'd prefer the cloud city with a cape. 

Bossk and the GG are fantastic busts but I just refuse to get into them. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 15, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Classic Lando from ANH?  Just kidding, were I to get a Lando I'd prefer the cloud city with a cape. 

Bossk and the GG are fantastic busts but I just refuse to get into them. 

Yeah, don't you remember?  Lucas added him in for the special edition  ;D

Multiple costumes is just too expensive with the mini-busts.  Mind you, I'm kinda torn on which Luke I would prefer - the tatooine outfit from ANH or the black Jedi one.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 15, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Shhhh, don't give Georgie any ideas >:(

And shhh on those other suggestions, they both sound great.  Of course that's making me rethink the basic Han bust which thus far I've passed on.  But it is awfully nice as well :-X

Rather than a bust I'm hoping GG does a Luke Jedi statue, I think it would go great with the Vader statue (which btw I have now, so if you want to come over this weekend and see it, just give me a call).  If they do a basic Luke like either you suggested, I'll be really tempted. 

I veered out of the Imperials only as well for Yoda.  Luke Stormtrooper is also somewhat outside the mode, but since about 80% of him (and Han stormie) are Imperial in sculpt, that's ok.  I'd buy a Chewbacca in shackles to go with them. 

But basic Luke, Leia, Han, C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca and OB-1 busts from ANH are really, really tempting.  I want a bust of Alec Guiness with his hood up holding a lightsaber (like the Sideshow statue for next year). 

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 15, 2005, 05:00 PM »
I hadn't realized you picked up the vader statue.  Mind you, I suppose I'm not surprised.  Envious, yeah.  Surprised, no.  I've definitely got to come by and check that one out.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 15, 2005, 05:11 PM »
More money than brains.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 11, 2005, 09:14 PM »
I wanted to ask the opinion of some Gentle Giant vets here.  I think I might have my wife talked into letting me pick up the upcoming Han Solo mini bust (this would be my first), but I've been considering both the "bust ups" line, or picking up mini busts here or there.  We can't really afford to do both, so I've been trying to make a decision.  I know both lines have their appeal, but which would you recommend over the other?  Is it a toss up?  Bust ups are obviously more affordable individually, but also have a lot more releases.  The mini busts seem to pretty much be universally praised for their high quality, and seem to be nice collectibles.  I can't really afford a lot of "high end" stuff, so I thought a mini bust here or there might be a way to start to dabble in that area.  I'd probably only be interested in OT either way, and if I did get into the busts, I'd probably be very selective (starting with Han, and then maybe getting one or two a year if they looked nice).  Obviously, I'm probably not going to be able to get the past pieces, because I know they can be quite pricey (mini busts)...but with bust ups, that isn't the case.  Without considering chases, the regular releases seem to be pretty affordable.  Long question short, if you could only afford to do one line or the other, which way would you go?  Thanks for any advice.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #727 on: August 11, 2005, 09:31 PM »
Hmm...  I collect both lines, and due to the affordability factor and my personal tastes, I go OT only on the Busts, but everything on the Bust-ups.  If you went OT Bust-ups only, it'd be even cheaper, and easier to collect, and obviously playing catch up on those things is a piece of cake too, with or without the "chase" pieces.  Another factor to consider is space.  The Bust-ups are a lot smaller (though there's more of 'em), and are probably easier to display.   A lot more variety with the Bust-ups too, and maybe a little more "fun" collecting them.  They're cheap, and would likely be pretty easy to stay "complete", if you're into that at all.

Obviously the regular Busts are a higher end, more "mature", colletible.  So if you want to go with something much nicer in quality and presentation, that might be the way to go.  I guess the cost factor would depend on how many busts vs. Bust-ups were released in a given year.  You can grab each series of Bust-ups (in peson) for about $30, easy (excluding chases).  Each regular Bust would likely cost you $40-$50 shipped.  If you'd rather avoid the headache of chasing stuff, just one or two busts a year might be the way to go.

Kind of a toss up really, Brian.  I think it may really boil down to - do you want to have a lot of different characters in a smaller version, or just a few (fancier) characters in a larger size?

I'm a psycho completist, so my answer is biased in that if I was forced to choose one or the other (according to your all of the Bust-ups vs. just a couple Busts), I'd have to go with the Bust-ups so I could have the entire line of them, as opposed to just a couple regular busts.

Tough call though.  Good luck...  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 11, 2005, 10:41 PM »
I'll mostly echo what Matt said, it's a toss up.  For ease it's the bustups.  I love them and am missing only a couple in total.  Cheap for the most part, with only the black hole stormtroopers commanding any real premium and even that has dropped dramatically. 

The busts are limited, but boy, you'd be in a tough position already.  OT Han and Yoda and a Vader that while not OT is rather hard to differentiate.  And those are three of the six busts scheduled out in the next 4.5 months :-\  The other three are OT as well (Leia Boussh and two sandtroopers).  But I warn you now, once you have one you'll never look back.  I realize that finances are an issue, but these are fantastic pieces and the Hasbro stuff pales in comparison. 

Good luck with the choice. :)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 11, 2005, 11:28 PM »
I'm not sure if you guys have comes across these production #'s yet because I'd swear they weren't listed a few days ago on GG's website, but here's what they list now.

Sandtrooper Squad Leader (orange pauldron) - 7500 pieces
Sandtrooper Sergeant (white pauldron) - 7500 pieces
ESB Yoda - 15,000 pieces
ROTS Darth Vader - 20,000 pieces

They sure are cranking them out now!

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 11, 2005, 11:32 PM »
Holy sh-t! They're not even limited anymore. >:(

Everyone and their grandmother will have one.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 11:32 PM by Commander Cody »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 11, 2005, 11:37 PM »
By the way, does anyone remember what month C-3PO was released in 2004?  I realize this is a long time ago, but it's the only bust that I can't nail a date down on.  :(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 12, 2005, 12:33 AM »
Holy sh-t! They're not even limited anymore. >:(

Everyone and their grandmother will have one.

Certainly takes the rush out of ordering one, doesn't it?  15-20K? ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 12, 2005, 12:40 AM »
It's the side effect of the original issues being so scarce.  The orders must have been there for them to produce so many.

In response to Mosnab's question, I would probably go for the mini-busts.  I think they're more striking than the Bust Ups.  Also, since there are fewer mini-bust releases than Bust Ups it makes a complete set more likely.  While the older pieces are quite pricey (I'm in the market for 3 to complete my set and it will probably cost $700 +), the mini-bust line is finite.  And just generally I think they look better on a shelf.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 12:45 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline SilverSpyder

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 12, 2005, 04:23 AM »
Personally if U could only do 1 line it would be the mini busts.  Bust-Ups are great (I own them all), but they are basically just half an action figure.  Now busts on the other hand are a mid to high end piece of art IMO.  Buy the busts, you won't regret it. 

But, I do have some advice.  If you are only buying OT, but the IG-88 or Leia Boushh bust first.  They are both easily found for retail or less and are great pieces.  The Han IMO is kinda weak as far as GG busts are concerned.  Not a bad piece, but definately not one of their best pieces.