Author Topic: Guitar Hero / Rock Band  (Read 50696 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Guitar Hero / Rock Band
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2009, 05:23 PM »
Guitar Hero: Metallica may or may not be on sale at Target next week for $37.

Also, I may or may not have just sent $45 to Rob for picking me up a copy of the same game at a store down in Dallas just a couple days ago.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2009, 06:34 PM »
Well, even though you paid for shipping and some Paypal fees, at least you got it for $2.00 cheaper on the base price.   :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Waiting on a review.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I kinda reviewed it earlier, but yeah, it's good stuff.  Played all the way through guitar on Hard, and played enough of Expert bass to finish the career.  (It's setup a little differently than the past GH games--you don't have to beat every song to open up the next tier or complete a career.)  I'll be starting on either Easy or Medium drums once I play some more Expert bass.  I may even tackle vocals once I get through with drums (and if I ever get around to picking up a microphone.)  It's also the first GH game to show you where you are in terms of stars (similar to what Rock Band does), so that's a good thing to have.

Songs themselves sound phenomenal and the setlist is fantastic--really centered on the good old stuff.  Something like six of the eight songs from Master of Puppets.  The only song I'm missing is Jump in the Fire--it's got a great riff that would be really fun to play.  Other than that, they hit on pretty much everything you would expect them to hit on--no complaints and even the non-Metallica songs are done well and fun to play.

I guess I should also mention that the difficulty is toned down quite a bit from GH3 (more like the difficulty in GH3 was an anomoly).  It was really refreshing to finally be able to get all the way through One this time, instead of ******** the bed about 85% of the way in like what happens in GH3.

The extras are very well done and this is where GHM really blows the Aerosmith game out of the water.  Many of the songs have what they call "Metallifacts", which is a trivia track that plays during the song, similar to Pop Up Video.  Many, if not all of the songs have lyrics you can read, and there are several live performance and behind-the-scenes videos you can watch if you want.  There's also a little picture gallery which is kind of cool.

My only real complaint with the game doesn't really come from a gaming perspective, and more as a Metallica fan, but aside from a few mentions in the Metallifacts, Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted are virtually ignored throughout.  And I kind of understand why (they didn't want to slight the new guy), but those guys were important parts of the band's history (well, at least Cliff was, anyway  ;) ) and there should have been a little more about them.  Not saying they should have been playable characters or whatever (that would be weird), but something more would have been nice.  Like, I was going through the photo gallery yesterday and they've got all these group shots from the old days, where it's just James, Kirk, and Lars, and Cliff was cropped out.  Why do that, you know?  They arguably wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for him, so why go out of the way to exclude him?

Anyway, I'll wrap up by saying that this is easily the best Neversoft Guitar Hero game to date.  Easily better than Aerosmith, much more fun to play than GH3, and the slight improvements it makes over World Tour makes it better than that game.  I still don't know if it's worth $60 (I have a hard time paying that for any game these days, especially ones that don't feature---wait for it---exportable tracks), but it's great at around $40 or less.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2009, 01:37 PM »
I remembered the earlier comments but was still keen on hearing a more in depth review after you had some time, so thanks.  I look forward to getting this in 3-6 months. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 2, 2009, 09:15 PM »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 3, 2009, 01:19 AM »
I was pretty impressed by the trailer.  But the musician in me still finds the whole game concept counterintuitive.  Especially since I've played a good deal of those songs with actual rock bands in front of audiences.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #247 on: June 3, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Damn, there's barely any love in here for real guitars.  So I'll show ya mine!  ;D

I tried the game at Best Buy.  It's really silly if you already know how to play guitar.  In fact, it seems very counter-intuitive if you already know how to play guitar.  Witness me trying to play "Surrender" by Cheap Trick on Guitar Hero, a song I've jammed on numerous times.  Hell, I've even been paid to play that song.  But can I play it on this stoopid game?  Of course not.

Feh.  I'll stick to playing for actual audiences in bars and clubs...not in my living room.

I'll play a silly video game, but certainly not guitar player.  Maybe that makes me middle-aged?

The game is counter-intuitive for musicians or anyone who's got even a little training on the instrument.  The skills don't translate.

I was pretty impressed by the trailer.  But the musician in me still finds the whole game concept counterintuitive.  Especially since I've played a good deal of those songs with actual rock bands in front of audiences.

"I'm too cool for these games, but not too cool to post in this thread multiple times to make sure that everybody knows how cool I really am."

We get it, Nick.  You're the coolest.  You win.  Not that anybody gives a ****, but you win.  So please **** off out of this thread and let the rest of us enjoy our lame music video games in peace.  Thanks.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #248 on: June 8, 2009, 01:34 AM »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 8, 2009, 05:48 PM »
We get it, Nick.  You're the coolest.  You win.  Not that anybody gives a ****, but you win.  So please **** off out of this thread and let the rest of us enjoy our lame music video games in peace.  Thanks.

Sorry for the redundancy Matt.  I'm not gonna **** off out of the thread that easily, but I will offer something a little different this time.

The Beatles angle was a big draw for me with this newest rock band game.  And it made it a whole lot cooler in my eyes.  Especially just to see the conceptualization of the later material that was never played by the Beatles in concert.  I think you're going to draw some of the really fanatical Beatles fans with that alone.

I think it's cool that the game is giving kids who were more interested in video games some exposure to music, and the idea that making music is one of the most rewarding things around.  I've also heard some anecdotal reports that the game has gotten more kids interested in playing music, and musical instrument sales may be up thanks to the game.  I think that's a great thing.  But I also think that a lot of those kids might be in for a rude awakening when they learn that actually playing the instrument can be a lot harder than the game.

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #250 on: June 8, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Sorry for the redundancy Matt.  I'm not gonna **** off out of the thread that easily, but I will offer something a little different this time.

Thank God.  If you've got something relevant to add about these games, then by all means, post away, but please spare us all the "I can play these songs for real" bull**** from now on.  Nobody's impressed, nobody cares.

The Beatles angle was a big draw for me with this newest rock band game.  And it made it a whole lot cooler in my eyes.  Especially just to see the conceptualization of the later material that was never played by the Beatles in concert.  I think you're going to draw some of the really fanatical Beatles fans with that alone.

Yep.  It's gonna be huge.

I think it's cool that the game is giving kids who were more interested in video games some exposure to music, and the idea that making music is one of the most rewarding things around.  I've also heard some anecdotal reports that the game has gotten more kids interested in playing music, and musical instrument sales may be up thanks to the game.  I think that's a great thing.

You're right.

But I also think that a lot of those kids might be in for a rude awakening when they learn that actually playing the instrument can be a lot harder than the game.

Yeah, so?  The ones who bail out due to it being too hard will go back to their video games, and the ones who are really interested in playing will stick with it and go on to learn their instrument.  You know, the same way it's been since, oh, forever.

You've always seemed to be hung up on this "real guitar vs. video game guitar" thing, almost as if there's some sort of conspiracy out there to get kids to put down the real instruments and pick up the fake ones.  It's just an old, tired, baseless, bull**** argument.  In the end, it's just a video game.  For fun.  But if it motivates just one kid out there to grab a guitar and learn a few chords, then everybody wins.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 8, 2009, 07:03 PM »
If it gets kids motivated to pick up a real instrument a create something because of Rock Band or Guitar Hero?  I find that to be a fantastic prospect.  Maybe it'll be the vehicle to inspire some genuine talents.  And bringing people together in a social setting is cool too.

One thing that irks me about the game is that bars that may have once hosted live music are now hosting Rock Band nights.  I think that's totally and utterly ****ed.  A bar decides to make a one time expenditure of a few grand on a pretty cool Rock Band setup with some big plasma monitors rather than hire actual rock bands.  This isn't just happening in isolated areas where the talent pool isn't that deep.  This is going on in MAJOR CITIES with viable music scenes.

Granted, some of these places may have already given up on live music already and decided to host a karaoke night before they went with Rock Band.  But when I see an entertainment format that bar and club owners view as a much cheaper alternative so that they no longer have to employ real musicians, I've got a problem with that.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2009, 07:17 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 8, 2009, 10:06 PM »
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Maybe real bands weren't bringing in customers. . .?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 8, 2009, 10:44 PM »
I don't think it's that.  I think bar owners just wanted cheaper entertainment.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #254 on: June 8, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Oh no....what's next....Karaoke?
This is the way.

I have spoken.