Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

Of course we should buy the new TVC repack waves

(1/8) > >>

StBrianOfMinneapolis:
Hear me out on this one.

I am a guy who generally opens every toy I buy and leaves almost nothing in the package, so buying repacks that come on cool TVC cards has not been too appealing.

I am also a guy who has stated I would happily pay around $20 a figure for a new subscription line of 3.75” super articulated figures designed for collectors.

The opportunity before me is to tell Hasbro they screwed up by boycotting the first two waves of the TVC relaunch, or realize that “buying in” to a relaunch of a non-exclusive line I really want is a steal priced at $12.99. Two waves of repacks will run about $110. With my previous comfort in paying $20 a figure for a hypothetical toy line, that $110 cost will be absorbed into the first 15-16 new sculpts I buy as the line continues. After that the line will be smooth sailing while enjoying continuous waves at $12.99.

All this is true even though I did manage to pick up an extras of 3.75” TBS from Walmart including two extra Reys, Finn, Poe, Kylo, and a bunch of Stormtroopers when they were marked down to $5.84 this past summer. It has been hard to overlook how excessive these new repacks will be, but I have pulled my head out of my butt and now I see the light.

Scockery:
You must do what you think is right, of course.  ;)

I'm of the mind that if someone spends more than they feel they should and/or buy things they don't like (for whatever reasons) that will lead to burn-out.

I'm also the guy who would not support a figure sub service unless I got rich. I understand why people would get rich but I don't get enough (whatever it is) out collecting action figures anymore to routinely spend $20+ each on them.

Dave:
Hasbro is making their own product management decisions.  If they need to milk existing molds they should understand the supply and demand curve and make fewer of those figures if they think there is less demand (FYI Hasbro - I will not be buying repacks).

I'll be buying every truly new figure they make at whatever reasonable price they charge, and hopefully they'll make more of those as I'm guessing there will be plenty of collectors that only go for the new stuff.

I'm only giving Hasbro the money they deserve and not writing them a blank check for products I don't care for or personally buying up piles of overstock just to support the line.

StBrianOfMinneapolis:
Dave, I agreed with everything you said until I realized I don't have to approve a blank check, instead it's just $110 or so to vote in support of this line to ensure the releases of Yak face  Sim Aloo, and maybe the Tonnika Sisters.

Rob:
I can think of about 1,000 other places I'd rather use that $110 than to show support for line being made by a company that I've already spent thousands of dollars with over the years, and made a $788 million profit on revenue of over $5b last year. 

But hey, it's your money!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version