Author Topic: 2024 HasLab - TVC Project, Coming Soon!  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 2024 HasLab - TVC Project, Coming Soon!
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2024, 05:02 PM »
Looks like we're going to have a little more time to speculate.  Hasbro has just delayed the Haslab reveal.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2024, 05:04 PM »
Per Hasbro Pulse’s post on Instagram, the launch of the new Haslab campaign has been delayed. 

I have to think there are too many high profile things on the promotional calendar for the franchise.  I’m thinking this could get launched at SDCC.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2024, 05:26 PM »
This was just going to be the reveal, correct?  Or were they going to start taking orders right away?  Seems odd to delay it if they were just planning a reveal.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 06:37 AM »
Generally, the Haslab campaigns have started within 24 hours of the announcement. 

SDCC is really the ideal place to launch a campaign.  There’s less on the promotional calendar for the franchise.  And Hasbro gets loads of free promotion because of all of the collector media that’s on hand to cover the announcement and take countless photos. 

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 09:32 AM »
Excellent execution, Hasbro!  "Hey collectors, get excited for the next TVC Haslab reveal...  uh, actually, nevermind - we'll tell you later." ::)

I'm guessing Nick is probably right that they changed their mind and wanted some kind of reveal in-person to fans at something like SDCC.  That makes me think that whatever they picked, it is more impressive to see it in person and get a true sense of scope as opposed to just being able to rely on pics/fanstreams.  (Mos Eisley Cantina playset?)

Or I guess it could be as simple as someone dropped the fragile 3D model and they need to print a new one. :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2024, 09:43 AM »
Maybe Steve came back into the fold and didn’t think it was up to snuff.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 1, 2024, 08:31 AM »
Everyone seems convinced now it’s the Death Star.  :P
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 1, 2024, 09:14 AM »
All because Steve Evans posted “Almost there”?

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 1, 2024, 09:26 AM »
Everyone seems convinced now it’s the Death Star.  :P

A modular Death Star would be sweet.  I would be interested in both a cantina and Death Star, assuming its done well and not just bottles, pillows, etc. for $450.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 1, 2024, 09:49 AM »
That would make sense but also when had Jayson ever been wrong about this stuff.   Maybe it’ll be like last year where there’s the Ghost but there’s also Jabba’s Palace as a regular, expensive release.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 09:49 AM by Rob »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 1, 2024, 09:57 AM »
That would make sense but also when had Jayson ever been wrong about this stuff.   Maybe it’ll be like last year where there’s the Ghost but there’s also Jabba’s Palace as a regular, expensive release.

That'd be cool.  $450 HasLab Death Star and $255 pre-order cantina.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: May 1, 2024, 02:41 PM »
Based on all the comments I've seen and read over the last few years, the Death Star and/or the ME Cantina are going to be really interesting choices for potential HasLabs.  Probably way more controversial than anyone is expecting for two OT popular locations.

There are so many personal visions of what a Death Star playset should look like (a giant ball, a throw-back to the Kenner set, a throw-back to the palitoy set, something customizable/stackable) and then the cost expectations that go with it.  A lot of people say "$450-500 max", but the renders and info Jayson had seen for the mega-ball render he had seen and sketched would cost in the $800-1000 range. That's going to be a LOT for some folks.  How much detail does it need to be a HasLab "dream" project?  How far can Hasbro push that "dream project" angle before they price themselves out?  If it costs more than most can handle, that will cause a lot of anger and jealousy from the segment that can't afford it.

And the Cantina.  The cost would probably depend greatly on what it looks like.  Is it the whole thing, like the LEGO version?  Should it just be the main bar section with chairs/stools and bottles and bits that the Instagram collectors would LOVE posing figures in for photos but make the old timers complain "who needs all these bottles and pillows"? (Hi, Dave! :P)  And what about pack-ins?  Again, going back to the JD Twitter polls - you'd get some kind of "no oola, no moolah" type reaction to the Cantina if they finally make it and there are no Tonnika Sisters in the tiers ("No Tonnika, No Thanks"?  "No Sisters, No Sale"?).  What about a new Wuher or Chalmun the Wookiee Cantina owner?  Are they "must haves"?  Are you willing to pay extra if Hasbro goes all out on lights/sounds/electronics? 

I feel like you could do a crazy "dream level" Cantina for $500 with electronics (the droid scanner at the door, the cantina band soundtrack) and go crazy with the pack-ins - 6-8 figures instead of 3-4.  Do the alien weirdos that have ZERO chance at getting into the main retail line these days - Tzizvvt, new Wuher, Chalmun, Baniss Keeg, new Lak Sivrak, etc.  Support it with a new Greedo, Hammerhead, Ponda, Snaggle carded 4-pack at Hasbro Pulse. 

OR, maybe the Cantina doesn't need to be a HasLab?  Maybe Hasbro could go the Hasbro Pulse way with the Cantina like the Jabba's palace set - you'd have to sacrifice the pack-ins down to one (likely Wuher) and then sacrifice all the electronics and sounds to get it down to that $250 range.  Tricky decisions to get right and get the biggest bang for all involved.

(after all this fun speculation and talk, watch it turn out to be a HasLab Bad Batch Shuttle, launched months after the hype of the Series finale when they could have capitalized on that hype if they stuck to the original reveal this week... :P).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 1, 2024, 03:40 PM »
That sketch is insane.  I wouldn’t even know what to do with a death star like that and I have an entire basement’s worth of space.  It’s filling up though. 

As for the Cantina, I wouldn’t want it to work like the Lego one which displays terribly.  It might work well as a playset but it wouldn’t for me.  The genius about the Jabba’s Palace is that it was designed to fit on a shelf.  I hope they’re smart enough to let that be the max size for playsets.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 1, 2024, 08:13 PM »
All because Steve Evans posted “Almost there”?

That and the thing about keeping your comlinks open, which people apparently think is a callback to the trash compactor scene?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: May 2, 2024, 12:35 PM »
Maybe the "Cheers" comment still means something and we are still getting a bar...

Just not the bar anyone expects (or would really want in this format). The Haslab will actually be the New Republic pilot bar on Adelphi from The Mandalorian Season 3. It will pair with the upcoming X-Wing Pilot Troop builder pack. Unlocks will be Carson Teva & Trapper Wolffe w/ their jackets and hat, the Snivvian bartender, & Zeb in pilot gear (reusing some of the new Zeb toolings). The "Comlink" comment was supposed to be a reference to Carson Teva talking to Din.

(I say this mostly jokingly.)
« Last Edit: May 2, 2024, 12:36 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."