Author Topic: 2024 TVC Wave 2 (New TVC Wave 34) [Fan Channel]  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 TVC Wave 3 (New TVC Wave 35)
« Reply #15 on: November 1, 2023, 01:44 PM »
The timing of the release suggests that Dooku was almost certainly in the works before the March Madness tournament even took place.  And Dooku had placed pretty well in the previous year's March Madness.  I think he was on a short list.  I heard Chris Reiff mention checking forums during a livestream and was genuinely surprised.  But I think the social media segment of the collecting community is definitely getting more of Hasbro's attention these days - likely because Hasbro can scrape more data about the customers from those platforms.  And data is everything.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 1, 2023, 01:56 PM »
All of us here, in this antiquated forum, are the outliers. 

Why Dooku?  Because he won a fan choice poll over on Instagram.

Instagram seems to be Hasbro's go-to source for "what do the fans want" these days.  Try as I might, Hasbro doesn't really care about us "forum folks" anymore.

Wow.  I read the Bantha Skull Post.  I guess I'm not much in to social media so I missed this, but it clearly wouldn't have mattered with their final four:
- Luke Skywalker
- Count Dooku
- Sabine Wren
- Asajj Ventress

Lame.

I hope somebody at Hasbro has some fresh ideas as the Instagram masses clearly don't.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2023, 04:09 PM by Dave »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 1, 2023, 05:12 PM »
There’s definitely layers to that conversation.  The audience here might be a bit over the criteria that’s become important in some circles because most here have seen so much over such a long time.  Among the criteria that’s important with a lot of that crowd?

-FINISH THE 96 - In terms of Hasbro having re-made the Original 96 Kenner figures in modern form.  Some have expanded on the idea, and want all of the O96 figures specifically within the Vintage Collection.  That’s where they lose me in some respects.  Because the conversation gets fractious because they don’t consider VOTC or VTSC to be the Vintage Collection.  SMH….

-DEFINITIVE VERSIONS OF CORE CHARACTERS - Hasbro has touched on most core characters.  But with a good deal of them their most recent versions could be 10, 15 or 20+ years old.  Another aspect of this is how well have previous versions of the character represented them in figure form?  I know that Hasbro really struggled with Mark Hamill’s likeness for a long time. And only in the past few years have they gotten pretty good at delivering figures of Luke that look like Luke.  Farm boy Luke has stuck out in the social media crowd because he really hasn’t been done well compared to current standards. 

-LOST CAUSES - This one irks me to a degree.  When I was reporting for a couple of collecting sites there was all sorts of talk about the Tonnika sisters.  I think I figured out what the deal was, and I maintain that it seems like a lost cause, no matter how many petitions circulate. 

-CHARACTER CAMPAIGNING - Sometimes this actually works.  Because there was a pretty substantial petition for Velken Tezeri that got some traction in the community.  Lo and behold, now we have him.  And numerous people on social media have been trying to find that next character to launch a social media campaign to get them made.

-OBSESSING OVER SOME DETAILS - In some of these crowds it seems like some people think they’re design engineers.  And the obsessive focus on hyper articulation is over the top.  The conversations about hip joints have been farcical.  When the TVC Endor Leia was released you would think that Hasbro had committed a war crime because the figure didn’t have wrist articulation, but did have swivel forearms. 

I think part of the reason that the conversations have evolved along these lines is because of how the line has been shaped during the Disney era.  5POA figures were launched as a cost cutting measure, but also to keep prices down.  We also learned at that time that backgrounders were far less likely to sell with casual buyers.  The trooper focus has gotten pretty crazy.  And tooling dollars seem to be scarce, so we get more repaints and reissues.  But we have also gotten some amazing figures.  I didn’t think Hasbro could really improve on Darth Vader.  But then the version from the OWK series came out and it was a game changer. 

I don’t think all of the social media conversations are ridiculous.  Some are definitely out there, and they’re missing the forest for the trees.  But some of it has brought some positive developments.  Yet I agree with a core point here - the line lacks the richness of character selections that we got pre 2013. 

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 1, 2023, 05:22 PM »
-LOST CAUSES - This one irks me to a degree.  When I was reporting for a couple of collecting sites there was all sorts of talk about the Tonnika sisters.  I think I figured out what the deal was, and I maintain that it seems like a lost cause, no matter how many petitions circulate. 

I would love to have the Tonnika Sisters in TVC, but I think the BTS photos of them being called Star Whores probably makes it tough for Hasbro to touch...  I do wonder if the two showed up on a D+ show if that would change that, but that history might be hard to wash away.  You are probably right that it's a lost cause, Nick, but one can only hope.  I suppose that's why I still pick them in my wishlists.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2023, 06:02 PM »
I maintain that it's so absurdly dumb to have that be the reason.

They can write anything they want about those two and what they're doing... make them ambassadors, undercover agents, bounty hunters just like everyone else...  All they have to do is put a bio on the package or a website and voila, that's what they are.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 1, 2023, 06:09 PM »
To me the Tonnika situation comes across more as a workplace harassment incident linked to one of the most important movie franchises in history, and far less about an EU backstory that was seedy.  Why expose the Star Wars IP to that kind of potential PR problem in order to make an insignificant amount of money on two action figures?  I’m not even in risk management and I can see that it’s an avoidable issue. 

If people want them in a collection?  There are people making custom kits of them.  I would be okay with going that route.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2023, 06:10 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: November 1, 2023, 06:20 PM »
We are straying way off topic but...

I think the BTS photos of them being called Star Whores probably makes it tough for Hasbro to touch...

This pic makes me laugh every time...

make them ambassadors, undercover agents, bounty hunters just like everyone else... 

They already did - even gave them the classic EU connection to OT main characters....
https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-sisters

"The duo worked odd jobs for anyone who would hire them. They were in the cantina that fateful day on an assignment from Jabba the Hutt to bring in Han Solo. (The sisters were well-acquainted with the smuggler, as well as another infamous scoundrel, Lando Calrissian.)"

I think they even had them in the most recent EU book with Han and Leia getting married, whatever that was called.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2023, 08:11 PM »
Ok fine I give up. 

I’ll get the Stan solo ones in a few months and that’ll be that.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 3, 2023, 10:03 AM »
And tooling dollars seem to be scarce, so we get more repaints and reissues. 

This is not just with 3 3/4.  As a Black Series helmet collector, the repaints are pretty frustrating.  Potential repaintability definitely factors into their choices.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 3, 2023, 10:13 AM »
And tooling dollars seem to be scarce, so we get more repaints and reissues. 

This is not just with 3 3/4.  As a Black Series helmet collector, the repaints are pretty frustrating.  Potential repaintability definitely factors into their choices.

I can definitely appreciate that.  I have to think that the Scout Trooper helmet will eventually lead to an Ezra Bridger helmet. 

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 3, 2023, 10:16 AM »
Ok fine I give up. 

I got tired of figuratively banging my head against the wall on the topic.  And I think it’s time to try to find a custom builder that might offer a good Tonnikas kit.  It would give a sense of closure on the topic. 

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #26 on: November 3, 2023, 10:22 AM »
Ok fine I give up. 

Can you elaborate on that? Are they 3d prints?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 3, 2023, 11:49 AM »
Ok fine I give up. 

Can you elaborate on that? Are they 3d prints?

Stan Solo makes vintage Kenner style figures, both characters we didn't get back in the 80s and bootlegs.

His figures are factory made in relatively small runs.

For the Tonnika Sisters he is using another creator's designs that are available to 3D print (I forget who, but think maybe it is the Trash Compactor design?) and putting them through his factory process.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 3, 2023, 12:47 PM »
Yeah they'll be factory produced and will slot in with the Kenner stuff perfectly. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 6, 2023, 08:37 AM »
We are straying way off topic but...

I think the BTS photos of them being called Star Whores probably makes it tough for Hasbro to touch...

This pic makes me laugh every time...

make them ambassadors, undercover agents, bounty hunters just like everyone else... 

They already did - even gave them the classic EU connection to OT main characters....
https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-sisters

"The duo worked odd jobs for anyone who would hire them. They were in the cantina that fateful day on an assignment from Jabba the Hutt to bring in Han Solo. (The sisters were well-acquainted with the smuggler, as well as another infamous scoundrel, Lando Calrissian.)"

I think they even had them in the most recent EU book with Han and Leia getting married, whatever that was called.

I stand corrected regarding my theory!

I went to Providence, RI over the weekend for Rhode Island Comic Con.  When I was at one of the hotels for a party I recognized someone in the lobby who was taking part in a GI Joe podcast.  Lo and behold it was someone who used to work at Hasbro and has a lot of experience with the topic.  He and I had a reasonably good relationship when I was reporting on Star Wars for a couple of sites, and at SDCC 2009 he made a point of showing me Hasbro's pitch for a Funeral Pyre Darth Vader that never came to pass. 

Having said all of that...I put forth my theory about the possible reasoning behind the ban, along with talking about the scrubbed Official Site article.  He was able to say definitively that was not the reasoning behind the ban on the T sisters.  The hold on them is definitely coming from Lucasfilm.  While the team at Hasbro has completely changed over the past dozen years, the licensing people at Lucasfilm have not, and the position does not appear to have changed.  And Hasbro's goals of releasing 1 Cantina alien per year have been dashed by the shifts in the industry.  He also mentioned that a  big part of what has hurt the line was the demise of Toys R Us.

He was also aware of the current push from some segments of social media for the T sisters.  And we discussed just how prominent they are in the scene, as well as having been in the famous Adidas commercial.  But I think the point stands that they are are still a lost cause.  All of that being said, it was great to run into someone who was such a driving force behind the line during what was a golden era for Star Wars collecting, and has always been really friendly and helpful.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2023, 08:39 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback