Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 192293 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #705 on: December 24, 2014, 12:43 PM »
It definitely sounds like some shill bidding is taking place. Does the seller have any previous auctions with similar bidding activity?

EDIT: I would definitely recommend contacting eBay. Also have you paid for the item yet?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:44 PM by Greg »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 24, 2014, 02:16 PM »
I did pay. It's been shipped. I decided that against "my principles" I wanted the toy enough to just pay, get it and then decide if I want to do anything after the fact. That may hurt me in the long run, but again I wanted the item.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #707 on: December 24, 2014, 02:36 PM »
I'd leave a neg.  "Shill bidding seller.  Ripped me off!"
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 24, 2014, 03:00 PM »
This was the first item he has sold on ebay. 15 feedback as buyer. I wonder if he'd refund me anything if I called him out. Or if I should go to eBay first?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 24, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I'd leave a neg.  "Shill bidding seller.  Ripped me off!"

Can Ebay penalize you for leaving potentially false feedback? It would suck if Nick leaves a comment like that and somehow ends up having his account banned. I still think contacting ebay is the way to go, only because it would have the least possible backlash.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:55 PM by Greg »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 26, 2014, 11:55 PM »
Received the item today. Glad I own it.

That being said I called eBay. The guy I talked to said it would be passed on to the "violations" department or whatever it was called. I would like my $9.50 back (first auction had a legit bid at $4 over starting price), but even if I don't get money back I want this a-hole banned from eBay. I'll keep ya updated (even if you don't care  ;))
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:56 PM by GrandMoffNick »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #711 on: December 27, 2014, 07:44 PM »
I do.  This was my first instance ever ( albeit as a bystander) of a potential cheating seller in that manner.  I find it curious.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 28, 2014, 01:29 PM »
I do.  This was my first instance ever ( albeit as a bystander) of a potential cheating seller in that manner.  I find it curious.

Yeah, I do too. As a frequent buyer/seller this is not something I have experienced firsthand over the years (that I know of) so I find it curious as well. I hope it works out!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 30, 2014, 08:07 PM »
That's pretty shady.  Keep us posted and good luck Nick!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 3, 2015, 10:06 PM »
8 days later and I've heard nothing from ebay.

Has anyone else out there who has had to deal with a dispute/problem/etc. on ebay; a) had to wait this long to hear back? or b) and this is more what I'm wondering, ever had to deal with a situation where the other party didn't know you were questioning something (I've had issues where I had to get ebay involved because I never received my item, but that was always just through messages not a phone call and obviously the seller was aware) where ebay decided against you and then never let you know? In other words I'm wondering if ebay will ONLY contact me if they decide they can prove shill bidding? If they decide against me would they not let me know?

It's frustrating that I'm not sure if they are still investigating or if they are done looking into it and decided for the seller so I just get to wonder for eternity.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 4, 2015, 04:51 PM »
I would be emailing every few days.  Be the squeaky wheel...
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 4, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Last time I had trouble with a buyer I just called eBay.  They do have customer service and it can be pretty helpful.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 4, 2015, 11:34 PM »
My contact with ebay was a phone call in this case. The guy just didn't tell me much more than "he would pass it on to "violations" and the seller would be banned if they found evidence of shill bidding".

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 5, 2015, 12:27 PM »
My contact with ebay was a phone call in this case. The guy just didn't tell me much more than "he would pass it on to "violations" and the seller would be banned if they found evidence of shill bidding".

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a "Sure buddy, we'll be looking into it.  Don't hold your breath."  Too bad.

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #719 on: January 7, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Could you guys give me your opinion on this? Also, some of you might want to jump on this as well.

The Hot Toys Iron Man 3 Igor figure caught my eye. At $500+  at the Sideshow website, I never thought I would own one. I then saw the following listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191475186980

I am not sure if the seller made a mistake. Maybe he meant $100 to be the opening bid? Maybe not. He has 9 more available. Maybe I am missing something? I was initially worried that the seller intended the $100 to be a deposit or something. What do you guys think? Just a really good deal?