Author Topic: 2023 Last Figure Standing Poll  (Read 1277 times)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Last Figure Standing Poll
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2023, 07:23 PM »
Down to Hammerhead and the Sisters.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2023, 11:08 AM »
Quoting myself the SW The Vintage Collection Facebook group, because I simply can't bring myself to go through this again:

I can’t express how much IDGAF about these finalists. We’ve got one candidate that might be interesting, but is largely in contention because Momaw Nadon (Hammerhead) checks an O96 box.

And the other(s)? A masturbatory exercise that makes people in the collecting community feel better, but will likely not succeed in persuading Lucasfilm Licensing to change their position on the Tonnika sisters. I spoke with actress Christine Hewitt at Star Wars Celebration 3 about this - in 2005. She couldn’t explain the situation, and neither could Hasbro at their SWC3 panel - when the guys from Sandtroopers posed the question to Hasbro with Hewitt in attendance they would not say anything. Fast forward to today? And the Star Wars brand team at Hasbro has turned over. The people at LFL licensing have not. I stopped banging my head against the wall on this topic years ago.

I thought I understood the general concept of this poll at the outset. But I don’t think it’s achieved its goal. I haven’t had a candidate from my list in contention since the first round. I liked some of the top ten, and was persuaded to stay in it until there were 4 left. But the structure of the poll makes me feel like it’s a card trick where the choice is being forced on you. I don’t feel like the goal of this poll has really been achieved here. It’s simply reaching that 50% +1 via artificial means. And I’m just not going to vote in this round.

I’m interested to see how the participation numbers look if/when that data is released. Did it increase or decrease over the course of the process?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2023, 01:58 PM »
It does feel as if the methodology is missing something, like the character votes in each round should have been weighted to get a better measure of consensus.

But i've been voting and I applaud them for their effort to magnify our collective voice.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2023, 05:29 PM »
I’m happy to keep voting for the Tonnika Sisters to let Hasbro know I think that a 50 year old photo that says Star Whores isn’t a good enough reason to not make the figures. 

Does anyone have the link to the latest ballot?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2023, 08:10 AM »
Although I didn't include them in my initial list for LFS, the Tonnika Sisters are a huge need, and I'm actually pretty happy to see them moving forward, to be honest. Think about it, no matter how detailed and accurate your Mos Eisley Cantina is, it will always be conspicuously missing these two. They appear in several shots, and are characters that most people recall when they think about the scene.

I know it might seem like a pointless exercise, but this also isn't an official poll, so I'm glad that all characters have a shot.

Anyways, I'd rather have never-before-made characters, so I voted for the Tonnikas.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2023, 09:19 AM »
And Hasbro could even make these Deluxe figures.  Give them two bar glasses and put them in an oversized box and charge $25 each.  Call it world building.  I don't care, just make the Tonnika Sisters already.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2023, 12:33 PM »
The answer is so easy here - A Cantina Goons 4-pack.

Go with the same format that was used for the recent Jabba Goons 4-pack:
- Tonnika Sisters take the two "obscure human" slots (like Taym/Velkin)
- Momaw Nadon/Hammerhead takes the "redo" slot (like Tessek)
- Ponda Baba/Walrus Man takes the "repack" slot (like ReeYees)

Hasbro gets to run around boasting how they filled three top fan choices in one set, the 'finish the 96' get Hammerhead, the "give us new" folks get Tonnikas.  Everyone wins (except people who hate paying $80 for 4 figures if they don't want them all).

I’m happy to keep voting for the Tonnika Sisters to let Hasbro know I think that a 50 year old photo that says Star Whores isn’t a good enough reason to not make the figures. 

Yeah, after 25 years of asking for them in the modern line, it's kind of mind boggling that the party line is still "LFL said no, no further comment".  Like Nick said, seems to be a really hard sell at LFL which is just so dumb at this point.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2023, 06:07 PM »
The answer is so easy here - A Cantina Goons 4-pack.

Go with the same format that was used for the recent Jabba Goons 4-pack:
- Tonnika Sisters take the two "obscure human" slots (like Taym/Velkin)
- Momaw Nadon/Hammerhead takes the "redo" slot (like Tessek)
- Ponda Baba/Walrus Man takes the "repack" slot (like ReeYees)

Hasbro gets to run around boasting how they filled three top fan choices in one set, the 'finish the 96' get Hammerhead, the "give us new" folks get Tonnikas.  Everyone wins (except people who hate paying $80 for 4 figures if they don't want them all).

Yeah, after 25 years of asking for them in the modern line, it's kind of mind boggling that the party line is still "LFL said no, no further comment".  Like Nick said, seems to be a really hard sell at LFL which is just so dumb at this point.

Love it. I'd buy that in heartbeat. I'd be fine swapping Dr. Ezavan for Ponda, too.
"This is the way."

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2023, 02:36 PM »
I voted for the Tonnika Sisters   #lostcause

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2023, 02:57 PM »
Lost cause or not, I can't wait to get the Stan Solo vintage-style sisters.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 02:57 PM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2023, 03:18 PM »
I would be happy to be wrong about the Tonnikas, or Lucasfilm, or Hasbro's stance.  I just feel like there are more constructive things that the community could rally behind that are attainable.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2023, 03:44 PM »
I would be happy to be wrong about the Tonnikas, or Lucasfilm, or Hasbro's stance.  I just feel like there are more constructive things that the community could rally behind that are attainable.

Agreed, but I don't need a redo of Hammerhead.   Neither of these choices are that great - lost cause vs. redo.

I was hoping for something all new and attainable...

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 2, 2024, 12:21 PM »
I guess with all the holiday hubbub we didn't post about the winner - The Tonnika Sisters.

As I posted before this would be a fantastic addition to the collection, but feel that its probably never gonna happen because it would have already if Hasbro/Disney is open to it.  If they can't make figures from shows that are active and "hot" I don't know how they would find it possible to make figures not seen on screen since 1977.  Let's hope the next HasLab is the cantina and they can include these as unlocks since its not a mass market item.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: January 2, 2024, 01:46 PM »
Looking through all the data they posted is kind of interesting.  For example, Hammerhead.  Momaw was the weakest pick to advance from each round but yet he made it all the way to the final two?

- Was #6 in round 1 (only 6 advance)
- Was #4 in round 2 (only 4 advance)
- Was #2 in round 3 (only 2 advance)

That's kind of crazy.  Also really interesting to see the interaction with this poll drop way off as it continued.  Seems like quite a few people dropped out after the stuff they really wanted was eliminated.  Or maybe the novelty just dropped off.  High of around 1650 votes and a low at the end of about 1150 votes.  That's a 30% drop off in interest.  Also makes me wonder how representative of a sample ~1150 votes is to the TVC Community as a whole.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender