Author Topic: The Howard Stern Show  (Read 5911 times)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
The Howard Stern Show
« on: October 6, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Just read on the CNN/Money page that Howard Stern has inked a deal to ditch radio and move to satellite radio beginning in 2006. I'm not the biggest Stern fan (grew up with Kevin & Bean in LA), but I am a Sirius subscriber and am happy for anything positive they can muster.

I've had Sirius for almost a year now and it's probably my favorite purchase of the year. I travel for work very often, and it's so convienent to just take it with me and plug it into my rental car and not have to worry about carrying around cases of CD's or finding something on local radio. Not to mention I can log in at work and listen on my laptop, which makes work much more enjoyable!

If Kevin and Bean ever take their show onto satellite I will be one happy camper, but for now i guess I'll settle for Stern over the crap I currently have on local radio...Bob and Tom.

Complete crap their show is...

SilverZ

Re: Howard Stern coming to Sirius!
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2004, 04:38 PM »
Dammit, I have XM at home and in the car, and no way I'm switching. Bummer.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Howard Stern coming to Sirius!
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2004, 11:23 PM »
Man, we just got STern back...   :-\  I wanna get the system he's on, because he's all I listen to on the ride to school, plus his show would be uninterrupted to an extent I'd think...  At least less anyway.  And unrated, which is incredible because his PPV's were always good.

I can't justify paying for it just for Stern, but I'd like to have it nonetheless, just for Stern.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Howard Stern Show
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 06:25 AM »
This thread's mostly just for the fans of Stern...  If you're like me, and still love listening to him every morning, today is the last day you're going to do so without paying for it...

I'm actually getting Sirius Satelite Radio for Christmas this year, and I'm excited...  I wasn't going to, but my buddy Dan got it last year and I've listened to his and it's really just fun to have.  I could listen to the comedy channel all the time actually just by itself, so Stern's move there is just really gravy to me since he's who I've always liked listening to in the mornings...  Stern's show hasn't lost anything to me.  It's as funny as ever, and with what he's allowed to do he makes it as funny as he can.  I am excited to listen to him at Sirius though, and hear the show as he intends...

I'm really sorta sad though.  The Stern show is something I've actually had as a big part of my life since I first saw/heard Stern when he did his old "Channel 9 Show".  That was when we really got true "Cable" in my area and Channel 25 carried Stern's show.  I had no clue who he was till then as he wasn't on in Pittsburgh on the radio.

When he came to Pittsburgh under Clear Channel's new alternative rock station "The X", I loved listening to him daily when I was able to.  His show of course got canned when Clear Channel basically were pussies, and we did without him in the city of Pittsburgh till K-Rock bought out one of the HORRIBLE Top 40 Stations our city was plagued with.  They've made one of the only listenable stations in Pittsburgh, but come the 25th I'm done listening to the BS in my car for anything but local information I maybe need (traffic, etc.).

I'm listening right now...  The show just started here.  Sounds insane with the crowds for it up in NYC for the final show.  The show yesterday with Jackie Martling coming back to say bye was GREAT, it was really funny and you remembered great stuff from just a couple years ago that really they can't even say/get away with now.  That's ****** just to think about but even their PC descriptions of these past events had me laughing early in the a.m., which isn't something I do much...  Not a morning guy, but I have to say that it sounds funny but Stern's show really did make my morning existance easier, more lighthearted...  It always gave me fuel for jokes and conversation with my buddies when we'd all get together on the weekend...  It meant a lot to me, in a weird way.

I'm happy and sad right now...  It's weird listening to what is his last show as the fans know it.  It's something that really was a big part of my teen to adult life actually.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 10:26 AM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 12/16/05... Stern's Wrapping Up
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 09:29 AM »
Hah...  By the way, a Star Wars moment... 

Stern's producer (for non-fan's) Gary Del'Abate is basically never called by his name, he's just "Ba Ba Booey" which is a joke that goes back to like the 80's.

Anyway, one of the staffers sets Gary's nickname to every song imaginable...  The one that is easily the most used/popular is the Imperial March...  It's basically just "ba ba ba ba booey, ba booey...  ba ba ba, ba booey, ba booey..." you get the picture.

Well Gary was just doing his speech and the whole crowd was chanting the Ba Ba Booey Imperial March at him.  That was just great. :)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 09:46 AM »
I've always like Stern, but sropped listening basically because there are way too may commercials out here. I will be listening today though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Oh the commercials were the same everywhere Anton...  Man they sucked hard.  You'd get seriously a good 15 minute span at times of commercials I think.  It was sometimes hard to deal with if you had short commutes, haha.

They whored the hell out of his show while they could but man it was over the top really.  And with Sirius only costing $13 a month it's not bad at all...  Especially given all the other programming too.  I got to mess with my buddy Dan's Sirius Radio and the comedy channel alone was worth it to me, but yeah there's all kinds of good stuff...  My buddy always jokes that what he'd hear on the Sirius I'd hear (music wise) about 3 months later, but really he wasn't kidding...  Pittsburgh was just that out of touch musically really.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 10:32 AM »
The best part about Sirius is that you don't have commercials every 10 minutes... I think it's one every hour or so, depending on what station you listen to. Comedy Channel is probably my favorite.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Howard Stern... I admit he's funny at times, but usually not my type of humor and I am not a fan of him.

:P

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 12:04 PM »
I'm actually seriously considering getting Sattelite now too.  Not just for Stern, but because radio is so lame these days and he's yet another thing I'd like to listen to over there.

I can't listen to his last show because my radio on my desk is broken.  Agh.
Got Clones?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Josh, I listened through Yahoo.  I tried listening to K-Rock in Pittsburgh but they butchered his show...  yes, even his last show, so I just gave up and listened to the Yahoo broadcast which lasted into the afternoon.

Sirius is seriously worth it I think if you are looking for radio OTHER than Stern.  It's kinda like buying a gaming console for one game.  To me that's not good thinking, but if you're sure you'll want other games coming out then to me it's a good smart purchase.  The Comedy Channel (dirty of course) was enough to sell me on Sirius...  Other channels I'm sure will appeal to me, and Stern was just what solidified me wanting it then. 

It's funny, but a local station that played classic rock just turned to the "Bob" Format and it's really unlistenable.  Just horrid.  Other than K-Rock I've been listening to just Christmas music on the oldies channel...  I just can't take the dribble on the top 40 station, the classic rock station's playing "other" stuff now, the other CR station went to the BOB format...  And from what I understand K-Rock isn't gonna be the same after Stern leaves as far as what they play, so I'm basically happy to be done with this...  It is just such a steaming turd around here really.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 08:53 PM »
Hey Jesse, I listened to a lot of the show and was lucky to be in the car when Howard was giving his last speach. However, it's three hours later so I strongly suspect that much of his speech was cut or censored. Was it? I got the impression he was letting some swears fly due to some very abrubt edits. Do tell.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Yup but I couldn't see him swearing really...  It didn't fit with where the edits were coming in.  He kept the "eh eh eh eh" going for a euphamism for Sirius too so I think he was being careful but either crowd noise was needing the edits or he slipped up with some stuff.

It was weird, I was listening to it here and then I just heard this dead air and then it was back but made ZERO sense.  The conversation was butchered obviously, so I had Yahoo open but minimized and low volume.  I just turned it up and turned K-Rock off.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 06:12 AM »
Ugh...  I saw, for the first time, commercials on my local CBS station for David Lee Roth who takes over for Stern in the mornings here...  They're horrible commercials and really are just the kind of thing to give you a hint of the bad taste in your mouth that Roth is about to leave across the nation I think...  or at least where they're airing him.  I know Pittsburgh's one of the unfortunate cities to get his lame ass.

Looks like it's time to turn my dial to the oldies station till I get my Sirius...  I can only fathom how bad his show will be.  I may listen the first day just to see if he gets pounded by prank calls.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 01:11 PM »
We're getting Adam Corolla out here. :P