Author Topic: Vintage Collection Rumors  (Read 254147 times)

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Collection Rumors
« Reply #750 on: February 24, 2022, 05:03 PM »
It does seem like an odd lineup of reissues - they almost have nothing in common with one another, except two were both in ROTJ.  One thing that I have been getting a sense of is that even the re-releases might be breadcrumbs leading to other potential releases, like characters with a common theme or possible playsets or world building pieces.

Shae Viszla has gone up in price dramatically over time.  And it's a lot like the deal with reissuing the Clone Wars Ahsoka from 2012.  Hasbro has seen the explosion in prices for a lot of the figures from TVC 1.0 on the secondary market, and they intend to get a piece of that action.  That and the aforementioned Dark Saber link seem like a good enough reason to revisit this figure.

The same could be said of Nein Nunb.  That figure was actually kind of scarce.  He was in that online exclusive case assortment:

"Vintage" Collection Wave 17 (2012 Wave 7)
  2012 VC71 Ep1 Mawhonic {repack}
  2012 VC72 Ep1 Naboo Pilot {repack}
  2012 VC73 Ep1 Aurra Sing {repack}
  2012 VC74 Ep1 Gungan Warrior {repack}
  2012 VC102 Ahsoka Tano Realistic TCW
  2012 VC103 Obi-Wan Realistic TCW
  2012 VC104 Lumat
  2012 VC105 Emperor's Royal Guard
  2012 VC106 Nien Nunb
  2012 VC107 Weequay
  2012 VC113 Republic Trooper The Old Republic
  2012 VC114 Prune Face

...most of the figures from this case fetch a substantial price on the secondary market since they didn't hit mass retail.  There are exceptions, like the ones that were also in the Discover The Force line - there were 4 of those.  Aside from those the following have been reissued or are on the way:

2012 VC102 Ahsoka Tano Realistic TCW
  2012 VC103 Obi-Wan Realistic TCW
  2012 VC105 Emperor's Royal Guard
  2012 VC106 Nien Nunb
  2012 VC113 Republic Trooper The Old Republic

I fully expect that the Weequay and Pruneface will probably be reissued within the next year or so if the secondary market prices keep going up.  Lumat, too.  As for Nien Nunb?  The vintage Kenner figure was one of my personal favorites.  And I was happy to see the character return in the Sequel Trilogy.  I'll happily get another couple of these since the TFA version kind of stinks.

Bespin Leia seems like one of the few OT main character figures from TVC 1.0 that's worth reissuing.  And it fits with the release of Lando and Lobot over the past few months.  If Hasbro intends for this figure to complement another Original 96 release?  I'd like it to be a TESB specific Chewbacca and/or a C-3PO with cargo net (and maybe the bin that Chewie puts the parts in).  An updated Ugnaught would be another decent Cloud City themed figure to slot into the line.

Logray?  A bit of a head scratcher, definitely.  But Ewoks seem to have found a place in the hearts of nostalgic OT fans with the benefit of decades of time.  Could it be a sign of more Ewoks that could be part of the Original 96 campaign?  Three of the ROTJ Ewoks made in the Kenner days have not been made in The Vintage Collection - Chief Chirpa, Romba and Warok.  I'm hoping that Hasbro will try to time one or all of them for releases in 2023 for the ROTJ 40th.  An Ewok village playset wouldn't hurt, either.

I get the desire for a Revan figure.  He's the central character in one of the biggest Star Wars video games of all time.  The 30th Anniversary Collection figure was adequate in 2007, and Hasbro was right to pull that figure from a TVC release.  It needs updating.  Whether or not that translates to the figure being a mainline release or a Gaming Greats release is another story entirely.  I've seen lots of discussions on a similar topic regarding Cal Kestis from Jedi - Fallen Order.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:03 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 24, 2022, 05:07 PM »
I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I wish these guys would occasionally throw in a new character from the OT. 

+1

Even a character that might have only been made once in the modern era would be welcome.  The Rebel leadership, like General Dodonna, General Madine or Mon Mothma.  Or some of the major Imperial Officers like Admiral Ozzel, Admiral Piett or General Veers.

Completely new OT characters feel a little scarce these days - especially since a lot of them got mined for the line between 2006 and 2012.  But there are still some characters from the Cantina and Jabba's palace that seem like decent candidates.

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 24, 2022, 05:54 PM »

Bespin Leia seems like one of the few OT main character figures from TVC 1.0 that's worth reissuing.  And it fits with the release of Lando and Lobot over the past few months.  If Hasbro intends for this figure to complement another Original 96 release?  I'd like it to be a TESB specific Chewbacca and/or a C-3PO with cargo net (and maybe the bin that Chewie puts the parts in).

I have been dying for a TVC Bespin Escape Chewie with Threepio sculpted on his back so that it can look like they did in the movies. we have long aged the line out of needing Threepio to be a removable play feature, just sculpt him in pieces in the backpack with an articulated head and one arm. I would even consider buying it from the "deluxe" line at twice the price if they threw in an Ugnaught control station or something...

and did Jeff mention a Dinner playset? I did a "Retro" version last year that sold out pretty quick, and I intend to reuse the room for a TVC version if I can successfully line up someone to do a good 3D print of the furniture. But, sure, let Hasbro try... >:D

It's a fun location and lots of figures can interact with it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 24, 2022, 06:23 PM »
I have been dying for a TVC Bespin Escape Chewie with Threepio sculpted on his back so that it can look like they did in the movies. we have long aged the line out of needing Threepio to be a removable play feature, just sculpt him in pieces in the backpack with an articulated head and one arm.

I actually never thought of doing the figure like a plug-in backpack or something.  That would definitely eliminate the flimsy cargo net that barely keeps the figure in.  I might be fine with that, though I know some people would be upset with that aesthetic.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #754 on: February 26, 2022, 05:35 PM »
That's probably not a bad idea, and they could still use a cloth/nylon/whatever bag to hold him in. I don't think I'd want a hole in Chewie's back though...and to be honest, I'd like to have a new Chewie with better hips. If you make the current figure squat, it looks like he's just barely holding in a ****.

I did a custom of the Threepio backpack about a year ago, and you really do need to destroy a Threepio figure to achieve it, based on how he's jammed in the bag in the movie. I mean he has like a hand jammed in his leg piece. It's not like the simple take-apart feature from the figure we have.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #755 on: February 27, 2022, 05:07 PM »
Has Hasbro been asked in any of the recent Q&A's whether they're planning any more ST figures? I'm redoing my shelves, and I sort of feel like I have space allocated for the Sequels, but honestly I'm not going to continue to hold it if they're not making anything from that trilogy.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #756 on: February 27, 2022, 06:17 PM »
New Jayson/Yakface rumor:
https://yakfaceforums.com/main/2022/02/24/tvc-rumor-report-specialty-reissue-wave-2/

"We’ve received word of possible figures coming for the second Specialty/Reissue wave for 2022. The wave is said to consist of VC01 Dengar, VC106 Nien Nunb, VC55 Logray and VC111 Leia (Bespin Gown). Look for this specialty/reissue wave later this year."

Huh?  Do people want these figures reissued?  This seems totally random.

I may be in the minority here,  I am actually fine with those choices, except for Dengar whose inclusion is puzzling. I missed most of these originally while largely on my collecting hiatus. The fact that most of them ended up in the online only wave like Nick mentioned, certainly didn't help. I'm definitely hoping to see the VC107 WeequayVC114 Prune Face figures get rereleases as well. I really want both of those but have NO desire to pay secondary market prices for them.

ALL THAT BEING SAID... I'd much rather get BRAND NEW figures or much needed updates over any repacks. I'm not even that picky on their original source. OT, Bad Batch, Rebels, Clone Wars, Rogue One, Mandalorian, TBOBF, Kenobi, Andor, video games - whatever really. They've got my money for:

New background characters & major updates to any older figures:
  • Imperial Officers
  • Rebel Officers
  • (Hasbro would only need to make slight modifications with updated head-sculpts and rank badges, and they could keep pumping out new officers and put them in Army Building Packs.)
  • Background aliens
  • Rebels / OT / Mando era army builders
Any new and sorely needed main characters from:
  • The Bad Batch
  • The Rebels crew
  • Cal Kestis and his crew
  • Revan and the KOTOR cast
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 10:42 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 15, 2022, 08:23 AM »
It looks like there are going to be some announcements in the next 24+ hours for The Vintage Collection, the Retro Collection and The Black Series.  It's being branded as "Star Wars Fan Celebration", which says to me that it's probably related to Star Wars Celebration which is coming up this May in Anaheim, CA.  Also worth noting - additional Star Wars Celebration tickets go on sale today. 

EDIT - A number of fan sites are posting on social media that they're taking part in the Star Wars Fan Celebration in partnership with Hasbro.  Reveals are set to happen tomorrow at Noon ET.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 10:35 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 15, 2022, 09:24 PM »
It looks like there will be multiple announcements tomorrow throughout the afternoon on a number of collecting sites. 

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #759 on: March 16, 2022, 10:15 AM »
Great more preorders.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 16, 2022, 10:50 AM »
Undoubtedly.  I imagine there's going to be a bunch of scrambling tomorrow at 1 pm ET.

Here are the sites that appear to be participating.  The reveal times seem to begin at 12 noon ET and run through the afternoon.
Bantha Skull
Bossk's Bounty
Coffee with Kenobi
Fantha Tracks
From 4Lom to Zuckuss
Fly Guy Toys
Galactic Figures
Guerre Stellari (Italian collecting site)
Star Wars The Black Series on Instagram
Victoria's Cantina / The Vintage Collection podcast

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #761 on: March 16, 2022, 12:44 PM »
Here are the sites that appear to be participating.

For transparency, your good pals at JediDefender were not asked to take part and have no reveal coming today.  Our old school forums are not cool enough and apparently our 4k+ twitter follower count is not high enough I guess. #lame
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 16, 2022, 12:46 PM »
That sucks.  The legacy of this site is strong.  But folks at Hasbro and Litzky seem to have short memories.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 16, 2022, 12:52 PM »
That sucks.  The legacy of this site is strong.  But folks at Hasbro and Litzky seem to have short memories.

Without Jedi Defender, we’d have never gotten Ice Cream Making Guy!

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 16, 2022, 12:58 PM »

Without Jedi Defender, we’d have never gotten Ice Cream Making Guy!

I was just mentioning that to the admin of the Star Wars Vintage Collection Facebook group the other day.

Feedback