Author Topic: Western Star Wars - Series 2 (all 10 figures)  (Read 9708 times)

Offline Sillof

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Western Star Wars - Series 2 (all 10 figures)
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:42 PM »

Here is my new line of figures called West Wars.   West Wars is a line of custom figures that continues my experiment of breaking down Star Wars many elements and emphasizing them individually.  The original trilogy, especially A New Hope, were influenced by westerns.  The dusty small frontier towns, the seedy cantina, the quick draw shootouts, etc.   This line is intended to be fully western with no other elements.  For further authenticity all the names are actual combinations of historical lawmen and outlaws of the American West.  This line has been in the works for quite some time.  Many of the figures were started after the Steam Wars line and before the Samurai & WWII lines were even begun.

"Rusty" Ransen D. Dalton 
Rusty is a cantankerous town black smith.  He is quite handy with tools and should not be underestimated for his smaller stature.

In the original films the film is seen from the perspective of 2 common workers, an idea Lucas borrowed from a Kurosawa film.  I kept that idea in this line and translated the common workers into wild west equivalents.  Rusty is the town blacksmith.  He is short, with a smooth head, one eye, and lots of tools.

Clarence Peppero
Clarence Pepper is the talkative bartender at the town bar.  He is a bit of a worrier who dislikes being in the violent establishment.  He is quick to duck for cover behind the bar. 

To continue the idea of the droids being the town commoners I made 3PO the town bartender.  I thought the idea of the guy who is always talking to people being the translator droid.   I went for a yellow/golden color scheme.  The eye glasses are supposed to be like his round eyes and the belt & buckle suggestive of the gold disk and black mid section.

Leah Orango

Leah is the daughter of one of the most prominent ranch families in the territory and one of the few families to hold off Sheriff Vardas' aggressive attempt to steal the ranch.

I went with a whitish color scheme and a long gun to suggest Leia's gown and blaster.

Sheriff Akan "Death" Vardas
Now the sheriff of the border town he works for the corrupt robber barons and railroad tycoons of the territory. 

The duster is like Vader's robes and cape.  He wears the typical "black hat" of the bad guy.  The mask has a design that hints at the breathing mask of the old Vader.

Sheriff's Henchmen / Deputy
The sheriff has an endless supply of hired guns, thugs, and henchman.  He deputizes all them and uses them to further his control of the territories. 

I could not really use the trademark all white look of the armor so I opted for a dirty light gray.  The bandanna has a design which is meant to be suggestive of the design of the helmets.

Luke S. Walker
Luke lives on the outer borderlands with his aunt and uncle who are a poor farming family.   

I went for a younger looking Luke to emphab the idea that this kid is in way over his head.  Kind of cross between True Grit and the Searchers. He has the classic white top and tan pants, just like his movie inspiration.

"Old" Bennet Kennelly

I saw him as a one time sheriff of some western border town who was driven in hiding when his former deputy turned on him and took over the territory. 

I kept the brown and tan color scheme.  The duster is supposed to be like his jedi robes.  The gray hat is like Ben's hair.  He had to have some six shooters but he also needed a sword to be Obi Wan.  I settled on a Cavalry looking sword.

Hank "Solo" Solomon
Han was always the most directly western inspired character.  I just fully westernized his appearance.  He quintessential quick draw bandit. 

He is the most obvious transition.  He required very little reworking. I kept the color scheme, the quick draw holster, riding boots and added the black hat for his moral ambiguity. 

Chewing Bear
Chewing Bear is the loyal companion of Hank Solomon.  Solomon aided Chewing Bear's tribe when  Sheriff Vardas try to massacre the Indian tribe. 

I did not want to have and robots or creatures in the line. I wanted a pure western feeling.  But, I still wanted to make him not just a normal cowboy.  I also liked the idea of including a Native American.  The bear pelt is obviously supposed to be suggestive of Chewbacca's furry & animalistic qualities.  The satchel is like the bandolier.  He is meant to be like an intimidating Tanto. 

Bob A. Ford
The typical wild west bounty hunter who sells his services to bring in anyone with a price on their head.   His quiet demeanor and lighting reflexes makes him one of the most dangerous men on the prarie.
I was going for a kind of Clint Eastwood feel.  Much of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art had Fett wearing his cape like a wild west poncho from The Man With No Name trilogy.  All the elements are here.  The color scheme, the poncho, the wrist gauntlets, the weapons.  I did not want to include armor as the line is intended to be fully western with no fantasy elements.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
Re: Western Star Wars - Series 2 (all 10 figures)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:39 PM »
 :o  Your work here is incredible!  Love the breaking down of the story into different elements.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:56 AM »
10/10 on all aspects!!!!  ;D
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Again, awesome.

Speaking of armor and not including fantasy elements...you sould check out some history on Ned Kelly.  He wore armor!---Mike
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Sillof

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Yeah, I know about Ned Kelly he was the basis for my wild west iron man.