Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 40999 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kenobi (Disney+) - (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2022, 08:56 PM »
That’s a good explanation Greedo, but I still feel like there is no way he would have left her alive. I’m hard pressed to think of anyone else who crossed him that didn’t end up dead. I felt like that was purely a plot device to string this out one more episode.

I still don’t get what happened at the end really. Was one ship inside of the other one? Or just behind it? And you know, this really makes you wonder why he didn’t just pull the Falcon back on Hoth…
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2022, 09:38 PM »
I still don’t get what happened at the end really. Was one ship inside of the other one? Or just behind it? And you know, this really makes you wonder why he didn’t just pull the Falcon back on Hoth…

I was confused the first time too.  I re-watched it and there is another ship behind it in the hangar.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2022, 10:44 PM »
Vader didn't finish her because to do so would have been a mercy, and mercy isn't the way of the sith.

Yes! In Rebels (spoilers??)
the GI chose to fall to his death, saying it was preferable to what Vader would do to him for failing.

I believe this is why Vader let Obi Wan go. There was no need to imprison him. Always having to watch his back for an inqusitor, or dodging imperials... His existence would be torture.

I did raise an eyebrow after Vader threatened Reva in an earlier part/episode that he would off her before she can regret failing. But it's clear that was just his musings.

And you know, this really makes you wonder why he didn’t just pull the Falcon back on Hoth…

I thought the same, but of Leia's ship at the end of Rogue One. I figure he's 10 years older by then and the Falcon and corvette were probably more powerful than the transport.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:01 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2022, 11:24 PM »

I thought the same, but of Leia's ship at the end of Rogue One. I figure he's 10 years older by then and the Falcon and corvette were probably more powerful than the transport.

But… but didn’t Yoda tell Luke that levitating a rock and X-Wing were the exact same thing?

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2022, 01:31 AM »

But… but didn’t Yoda tell Luke that levitating a rock and X-Wing were the exact same thing?

That swamp gnome done lost his mind after 20+ years communing with mud and twigs.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2022, 11:17 AM »
I just chalk it up to him being much closer to the transport than he was to the Falcon or the Blockade Runner. Plus they were moving faster.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2022, 11:53 AM »
I just chalk it up to him being much closer to the transport than he was to the Falcon or the Blockade Runner. Plus they were moving faster.

Pfft.  Han just didn't believe in the Force at the time so those old sorcerer's tricks wouldn't work on him.  ;)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2022, 01:31 PM »

Pfft.  Han just didn't believe in the Force at the time so those old sorcerer's tricks wouldn't work on him.  ;)

Yeah, it was all simple tricks and nonsense!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2022, 03:42 PM »
I just fan-girled the 💩 out of that finale  ;D
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2022, 10:15 AM »
The opening shot of the episode was beautiful and a tremendous cinematic homage to ANH.  Beyond that?  I was really taken with the entire episode.  I have to watch it again before I can adequately comment.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2022, 07:13 PM »
I just fan-girled the 💩 out of that finale  ;D

Holy ****!  Welcome back Tracy!

I thoroughly enjoyed this series.  The finale was awesome!  This show was everything I wanted it to be and more.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2022, 08:35 PM »
I'll be honest, I really hated the first half of the series and couldn't even gather the strength to watch episodes 4 and 5... until I finally decided to binge the last 3 episodes last night. I didn't really care for it at all. I guess I was expecting something more simple, like Obi-Wan having to save the Lars family from some Tuskens and having to face the guilt of slaughtering a tribe like Anakin did. Instead we got a ripoff of Jedi: Fallen Order for most of the series, with the added bonus of Obi-Wan coming off as a jerk (leaving the Lars alone after someone with a lightsaber attacks them!) and Bail Organa coming off as the galaxy's biggest idiot (WHAT WAS THAT TRANSMISSION ABOUT LUKE'S LOCATION?!?!?). Oh and Qui Gon looks dumb too, because who knew you could survive a lightsaber stabbing by thinking about revenge?

I guess I need some time to process things
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2022, 09:08 PM »
"You couldn't gather the strength to watch episodes 4 and 5?" Jesus Christ. Again so much hyperbole and drama.

I loved the finale. I'll give the show a B overall. The show was exactly what I expected. We should also all know that's how SW fans determine what's good and what sucks. Whether it fits our expectations. I think I would have been very bored with your version Diddly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:41 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2022, 09:28 AM »
Episode 6 commentary:
- I thought the finale was mostly excellent. 
- I was expecting something a little different, but ultimately liked the battle between Kenobi and Vader.  I really liked the dialog at the end of the battle about Darth killing Anakin, and wished they had even more discussion.
- I didn't like the quick timing of Reva's instant recovery from a lightsaber stab and flying to Tatooine. At first I thought we were going to get disjointed timelines and they were just showing them side by side for dramatic effect.  Ultimately it was fine but I wish they would have spaced these events out further.
- I had a flashback to The Last Jedi and am a little bugged by the Star Destroyer vs. transport battle.  The Star Destroyer managed to track down, disable, and capture the Tantavie IV without much trouble but couldn't do that with a transport?  I get it that its a plot device, but I wish they would find something a little more plausible if they need more than a few seconds for the story to play out.
- I liked how they wrapped things up with Leia, Luke, Owen, Bail, and Kenobi.  Luke/Ben still don't have much of a relationship.  Leia is stronger and still independent.  Kenobi has refound his Jedi mojo.

Series commentary:
Overall I enjoyed it.  There were some uneven parts and goofy things early on, but ultimately it was entertaining and far better than BoBF.  I'd probably give it 4 out of 5 stars and I had fairly high expectations going in.  Sure it could have been more complex, more clever, and developed the characters more, but it was still a fun ride and a solid effort. 

Its gotta be tough writing a story around such key, core characters without messing with the canon.  We know everyone survives, so creating tension and drama was probably a challenge.  The Andor series will have a lot more room to operate, but we still know he doesn't die in the series.  Ultimately creating all new characters like The Mandalorian and Grogu is a challenge, but is probably the most interesting as the writers have tons a freedom and we're never quite sure what is going to happen to the lead characters.

I'm not sure if they've talked about a second season for Kenobi or if this is it.  I wouldn't mind another season with another adventure (ideally without Leia and Luke), but would be totally okay if this is how they left the Kenobi story line.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2022, 09:59 AM »
Overall, I liked the Kenobi show.  I'd give it an A but I know I'm a soft grader for new Star Wars shows.

We should also all know that's how SW fans determine what's good and what sucks. Whether it fits our expectations.

Pretty much.  I had really mixed feelings when this show was announced.  I really wanted to see more Ewan Kenobi, but my 'head canon' was that Obi-Wan was just hiding on Tatooine, watching over Luke...

I'm kinda torn on Kenobi.  On one hand, I'd like to see Ewan reprise the role for a new movie about old Ben...  but on the other hand, what does he do?

I've always kind of imagined he just lived out his days in the desert, studying Jedi stuff and watching over Luke.  I just assumed he never really did much because why would he?

In the end, I'm glad they went the direction they did.  I'd give the Reva/Inquisitor stuff a B, but the Obi-Wan/Anakin stuff was A+++ for me.  Like Dave said, I wish there had been a bit more talk between them but it really helped frame up the final rematch in ANH as well as putting a new spin on a few other things - Obi-Wan didn't lie to Luke, he was just repeating what Vader himself said about who killed Luke's father. :P

- I had a flashback to The Last Jedi and am a little bugged by the Star Destroyer vs. transport battle.  The Star Destroyer managed to track down, disable, and capture the Tantavie IV without much trouble but couldn't do that with a transport?

I'm ok with that because I thought Tantive was disabled in some way - doesn't C-3PO say something about the main reactor being shut-down?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender