Author Topic: Disney+ Streaming Service  (Read 65993 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Disney+ Streaming Service
« on: August 30, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Anybody going to pull the trigger on signing up early?  Looks like they've got a deal now where you can sign up for three years at 33% off.  That equates to about $4 a month or $141 for the three years.

I'm still a little torn on the timing for signing up as I'm not sure how much content out of the gate I'm going to care about.  I'm stoked about The Mandalorian, but I'm not sure there is going to be much else on day 1 that catches my interest.

I guess at $4 a month its not really that big of a deal even if its just to watch The Mandalorian until more Star Wars titles come available.  Looks like the new season of Clone Wars is coming February 2020, but the Obi-Wan and Cassian series don't appear likely to hit the streaming service until late 2020 or sometime in 2021.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:46 AM by Dave »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Disney+ Streaming Service
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:23 PM »
The only early deal I have seen requires you to be a member of D23...which I am not.  Whenever a pre-order comes up, I'm in.  There's going to be a long list of other content that will be available in addition to Star Wars, so my kids (and I) will like it for that as well.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 03:44 PM »
The only early deal I have seen requires you to be a member of D23...which I am not.  Whenever a pre-order comes up, I'm in.  There's going to be a long list of other content that will be available in addition to Star Wars, so my kids (and I) will like it for that as well.

You can be a "D23 General Member" for free.  I did this and was able to get the deal without buying in to the club @ $100 or more a year.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 02:13 PM »
Even if I lose interest in their originals debuting on the service, Disney has such a massive library. And to be able to download them and watch whenever, wherever...?

If only they'll take my money. Right now my card isn't going through. I haven't been notified by my bank that there's a problem with the card, so maybe a lingering issue from when the D23 site was flooded with people signing up for the offer.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2019, 01:22 AM »
I'm still a little torn on the timing for signing up as I'm not sure how much content out of the gate I'm going to care about.  I'm stoked about The Mandalorian, but I'm not sure there is going to be much else on day 1 that catches my interest.

We signed up for the D23 discount.  In addition to The Mandalorian, various members of my family are interested in the live-action Lady and the Tramp and basically the huge chunk of Disney back catalog that will be on demand at launch - animated features (many princess movies my daughter loves), the OT, the PT, Rogue One, TFA, Pixar stuff, and more.

We're dropping Netflix and picking up Disney+ in it's place (its mainly my kids who watch netflix anyway) so it's actually kind of a cost savings for us. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2019, 01:54 PM »
I'm not sure if I'll sign up for the early bird stuff.  I'm focused on a new house right now.

That said, I have every intention of signing up.  There is enough Disney content between Star Wars, Marvel, and the Disney princesses to keep my family occupied.  I think it will be a well spend few bucks for the service.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2019, 02:41 PM »
I don't think outside of Star Wars there's going to be anything in there for me, so I'm planning on doing as little committing to it as possible.  I'll come and go as needed to watch SW content.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2019, 03:49 PM »
I don't think outside of Star Wars there's going to be anything in there for me, so I'm planning on doing as little committing to it as possible.  I'll come and go as needed to watch SW content.

You could also sail the high seas of the Internet in order to watch this show.  Not that I'm condoning that type of behavior!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2019, 04:35 PM »

You could also sail the high seas of the Internet in order to watch this show.  Not that I'm condoning that type of behavior!   :D

This is true, but I'm generally at an age and place in life where for something like this I'd rather just install the app on the xbox and watch it nice and large on the TV instead of downloading movie files and figuring out how to stream those or watching them on the computer.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2019, 10:34 PM »
So, I have been trying to sign up for D23 for a few weeks now, but the site has been down.  Finally tried tonight and got through...only to find that the 3 year offer expired yesterday.  It sure feels like the volume of sign-ups was beyond expectations, so they took the D23 link down just long enough for the offer to expire.  Not cool with the shenanigans, Disney.   >:(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 4, 2019, 06:50 AM »
It was probably a one two punch.  I think the offer was through Labor Day.  However, once you signed up for D23, it said the link for the discount could take up to 24 hours to show up in the account.  I also got the cc decline when I first tried to sign up.  It is funny that many of my legit purchases trip the fraud alert, but several fraudulent charges in the past haven't tripped it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 4, 2019, 09:27 AM »
I'm genuinely curious about what Star Wars titles are going to be available on Disney + when the platform launches.  All of the movies will be on there eventually.  But from what I understand there's an existing deal for TBS to have the television rights to most of the movies for some time which may prevent them from hitting Disney + immediately.

Is there a chance that Disney and Lucasfilm will put EVERYTHING up?  The original series that are in production are all a given since they're being produced specifically for this platform.  But will they also consider shows like the animated Ewoks and Droids series?  What about the Ewok adventure movies?  And the Clone Wars microseries?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 4, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I read where Disney is going to put ALL movies up (except Song of the South since its racist).  I don't believe I've read anything specific about their giant library of older shows. 

In fact I'm not even 100% sure that Disney owns these and the Young Indy series as I think these were jointly developed with Lucasfilm and others.   I think some were co-owned by Fox, Cartoon Network, etc. so hopefully Disney has full rights now, but I'm not sure.  It'd be great if all those were available as well.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: September 4, 2019, 10:49 AM »
I'm genuinely curious about what Star Wars titles are going to be available on Disney + when the platform launches.

According to D23, these will be available at launch.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars: A New Hope
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (movie)

Star Wars Rebels
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (series)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com