Author Topic: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023  (Read 6797 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023
« Reply #60 on: May 3, 2022, 05:29 PM »
I wonder if they could do some sort of tamper-proof package with some sort of perforated cardboard with a pull tab? Once opened the perforation would have little color indicator to show the package had been opened.

(Think a cardboard version of Oreo packaging.)

That or something like a red line in the tape that shows as broken when the tape is cut?  There's got to be an easy tamper solution out there.  Just not sure how cost effective it is or if they would care. 

I remember when Walmart first came out with the self-checkout machines.  A news anchor was interviewing some WM bigshot and asked if they were worried about increased shoplifting.  His reply was that they forecasted an increase in theft, but that the savings from fewer checkout people would still be a huge net gain.  Profit always trumps integrity I guess.  Hasbro gets paid by retailers, not consumers, so they might not really care.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 4, 2022, 11:23 AM »
I was on a work call and only partially listening to the livestream, but it didn't appear they addressed the future packaging (no plastic) changes.  Did I miss the discussion of this or did they totally skip it?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 4, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Totally skipped it…but they had a fun R2-D2 on hand!  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #63 on: May 4, 2022, 12:14 PM »
I'm thinking while this will happen for the Black Series...it's not happening in TVC.  The bubble on the card is just too integral to the product for them to change it.

That being said, I wish they had addressed it in the livestream....not talking about it at all was not a good move.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 4, 2022, 01:38 PM »
I'm thinking while this will happen for the Black Series...it's not happening in TVC.  The bubble on the card is just too integral to the product for them to change it.

That being said, I wish they had addressed it in the livestream....not talking about it at all was not a good move.

I think they might not want to talk about it publicly because TVC might be getting grand-fathered in to keeping the bubble.  Hasbro has shown mockups of figures on cards with bubbles that are slated to be released in early 2023.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #65 on: May 4, 2022, 06:02 PM »
Agreed Nick.  I think the internet is going nuts over this plastic free packaging but the TVC isn't going to go that route.  It would've been nice for the team to at least mention that during the livestream to end the freak out.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 4, 2022, 08:44 PM »
And if the announcement affirmed that TVC is going plastic-free, enough of the collecting community would have been stirred into a negative frenzy much like what happened a couple of weeks ago and taken the shine off of what should be strictly Star Wars.

Time and place for everything.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 5, 2022, 08:50 PM »
Like many of you, I am convinced that TVC is not going to change, and I think they didn't address it because they were specifically told NOT to address it. Think of the up-roar from Marvel Legends fans if they find out that Hasbro Star Wars isn't going to be impacted by the "no plastic packaging" mandate.

There is still a chance regular Black Series releases will be impacted, but I think that's still up-in-the-air. Depends on what kind of reaction they got from that survey they sent around with packaging mock-ups (that all looked horrible).

I do think things like Vintage-like-carded Black Series figures will still be a "thing". No way after starting back in 2017 for the 40th Anniversary of ANH, they aren't going to at least do a couple waves of Return of the Jedi Black Series figures on Vintage-like cardbacks.

There's also a really good chance we will probably also see more Credit Collection releases for The Mandalorian.

Both Vintage-like packaging sublines give them the opportunity to double-dip on figure molds, which has been a major part of the Hasbro Star Wars brand strategy for many years now, so no way are they going to just give that up - and no-one is buying a re-pack of a Mandalorian or ROTJ 6" figure on a Vintage-like Cardback that doesn't feature a clear plastic bubble.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 5, 2022, 09:10 PM »
I think there will NOT be any plastic. And there's a lot of wishful thinking going on all over the internet. I hope I'm wrong, but expect to survive if I'm right.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2022, 09:11 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 6, 2022, 02:13 PM »
The more I see items like the Retro 6 pack they just revealed, the more I see them coming up with ridiculous work-arounds to their own program.

And all the TVC figures from this week's preorders are scheduled to ship in Spring 2023, which is after their deadline for plastic free packaging, and they won't address it until they do, so who knows?
« Last Edit: May 6, 2022, 02:14 PM by Muftak »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 9, 2022, 01:13 PM »
One gripe with the latest plastic free packaging on the deluxe figures (Boba Fett and Ahsoka) is that you really have to inspect the folded paper packets holding the accessories to make sure you got them all.  There aren't any instructions or other helpful inserts that list what is in the package, and I get a little concerned that there is something super small stuck in one of the corners that I'm missing.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2022, 10:41 AM »
One gripe with the latest plastic free packaging on the deluxe figures (Boba Fett and Ahsoka) is that you really have to inspect the folded paper packets holding the accessories to make sure you got them all.  There aren't any instructions or other helpful inserts that list what is in the package, and I get a little concerned that there is something super small stuck in one of the corners that I'm missing.

I hate that companies don't include basic instruction sheets for anything these days.  What do those cost, like a penny to include in the box?  Or heck, print it on the box if you have to.  They should bring back the little mini catalogs of product as well - those were awesome to leaf through even if you already had the stuff.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2022, 11:01 AM »
There aren't any instructions or other helpful inserts that list what is in the package

I hate that companies don't include basic instruction sheets for anything these days.  What do those cost, like a penny to include in the box?  Or heck, print it on the box if you have to.  They should bring back the little mini catalogs of product as well - those were awesome to leaf through even if you already had the stuff.

The problem is there is no longer a "USA-only package" anymore.  All packaging is designed to be sold anywhere in the world.  If they wanted to include some kind of insert/catalog, it would have to be in like 15 different languages, like those little paper inserts in the TVC figures with tiny text. 

In one of the live-streams, can't recall if it was GI Joe or Marvel, the Hasbro reps said that all the "plastic free" package should have a picture (no words because of language issues) that shows what should be in the box.  Something like these white boxes on the backs of the package:

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2022, 11:33 AM »
So they're Ikea now.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2022, 02:16 PM »
I'm good with this so I know what to be looking for in the little paper wrappings.  Still having an Ikea-like insert to show how things are supposed to connect together would sometimes be helpful.