Author Topic: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023  (Read 6669 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2022, 03:52 PM »
I'm good with this so I know what to be looking for in the little paper wrappings.  Still having an Ikea-like insert to show how things are supposed to connect together would sometimes be helpful.

Even Ikea has  piece of paper showing crude drawings of what's in the box and how it fits together.  Good point on the language barriers, but pictures are fine.  Heck, the catalog doesn't even need to have English text in it - they can show 10 figures with numbers next to them and a key that maps to the 10 figure names. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Real pics are nice. Diagrams can be hard to decipher.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2022, 03:36 PM »
An update from Hasbro - 6" figures going plastic free; 3.75" stuff likely keeps it's bubble -

On 6"
"most 6-inch figures will transition to plastic-free packaging by early 2023."
"As part of the shift away from window boxes, you’ll see highly detailed artwork and exciting new imagery on each package featuring iconic characters and their figures inside. This includes new packaging art that will showcase the articulation and poseability of each figure."

Here is Hasbro's example/mock-up of the 'virtually plastic free' packaging for a Black Series 6" figure:

On 3.75"
"Our goal does not include packaging for fan collectible products like 3.75” action figures, where packaging is part of the product experience and typically retained intact for fan display and collections. Those lines include Star Wars Vintage and Retro, as well as other collectible brands such as Marvel Retro and the G.I. JOE Retro. In support of Hasbro’s lower carbon strategy and upcoming science-based targets, our fan collectible blister packaging will continue to be made with either plant-based or recycled PET content."

So props to Hasbro for making the "right" decision for fans of TVC carded collections.  I really thought there was enough smoke behind the rumors of TVC bubble disappearing that there had to be some fire there.  (Part of me wonders if the rumors were floated out there by Hasbro to test the waters?)  Happy to be wrong about that for all those who love the TVC cardback look and style.  Enjoy it while it lasts!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 03:46 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2022, 03:41 PM »
Well at least that should be the end of the near constant complaining from everyone about TVC...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2022, 04:05 PM »
Hmm, was kind of hoping they would go with a whole new box style for the 6” figures, I’ve always had a hard time bringing myself to open these newer ones. Maybe this will help break that spell though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2022, 04:36 PM »
Well at least that should be the end of the near constant complaining from everyone about TVC...

Dude...how long have you been in this hobby???

BTW...I told all of you months ago they weren't changing TVC.  I want credit!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2022, 05:40 PM »
I've been feeling the same way.  It would have been akin to a classic American brand changing its logo - like when Coca Cola went from the old script logo and introduced new Coke along with the new label.

As for the complaining?  I hardly expect that to end anytime soon.  Because there's always something new to complain about.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2022, 09:31 AM »
Another pic of the upcoming "Plastic Free Packaging" (PFP) for Black Series from SDCC - Deluxe 6" NED-B:

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2022, 09:49 AM »

Dude...how long have you been in this hobby???

BTW...I told all of you months ago they weren't changing TVC.  I want credit!

Oh yeah totally, I just meant about he bubbles.  Every Yakface IG thread about this was 900 people reminding everyone that they’re “QUITTING IF THEY MAKE SUCH A DRASTIC DECISION AND RUIN THE CLASSIC FEEL OFNTHE PACKAGING AND MURDER A BUNCH OF PUPPIES LIKE THIS!!!”

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2022, 11:17 AM »
Another pic of the upcoming "Plastic Free Packaging" (PFP) for Black Series from SDCC - Deluxe 6" NED-B:

I actually like this presentation for The Black Series.  We've been through a number of iterations of The Black Series packaging styles, and I think that line can roll with the change and not lose its stride.  And the continuity of the mural style isn't impacted at all.

I think the concerns about the lack of a window in the package are still valid.  The number of images that I saw of damaged TVC Deluxe Boba Fett figures, as well as swapped contents, are an indicator that collectors are probably going to want to open their TBS figures sooner rather than later.  The number of incidents will bear out if the defects and swaps are a common issue or not.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2022, 02:18 PM »
So, has it occurred to anyone at Hasbro that they could help save the environment through other means like lifting minimum order quantities, providing group shipping instead of a box per figure, setting up a subscription figure service, etc?  I have to think that reducing transportation waste, extra packaging, consumer gas costs, etc. would do a lot more than eliminating a plastic window.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2022, 02:43 PM »
So, has it occurred to anyone at Hasbro that they could help save the environment through other means like lifting minimum order quantities, providing group shipping instead of a box per figure, setting up a subscription figure service, etc?  I have to think that reducing transportation waste, extra packaging, consumer gas costs, etc. would do a lot more than eliminating a plastic window.

Yeah, it really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense at times.  They're a toy company making things out of plastic/oil/chemicals, and they're going to worry about a little plastic packaging when their whole product is plastic? 

I like the effort to minimize plastic (not eliminate) and use recyclable plastic, but at the end of the day they're in the business of marketing their products and its surprising to me that they think they'll get more bang by eliminating plastic while making their product look lame in the store.  Are collectors, kids, parents, and grandparents really making buying decisions based on the amount of plastic that a package has in it?  I think not.

If they want to be great environmental stewards they should buy carbon offsets, plant trees, use recycled materials, buy solar panels, etc.  There are lots of ways to drive a sustainability initiative.   

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2022, 04:45 PM »
An update from Hasbro - 6" figures going plastic free; 3.75" stuff likely keeps it's bubble -

On 3.75"
"Our goal does not include packaging for fan collectible products like 3.75” action figures, where packaging is part of the product experience and typically retained intact for fan display and collections. Those lines include Star Wars Vintage and Retro, as well as other collectible brands such as Marvel Retro and the G.I. JOE Retro. In support of Hasbro’s lower carbon strategy and upcoming science-based targets, our fan collectible blister packaging will continue to be made with either plant-based or recycled PET content."

Exactly as I predicted two months ago - TVC will remain un-touched and there's no point in "Retro" if you're not making a product that looks like it was a Kenner figure from the 70s so those won't be affected either. While they didn't specifically say it - the Vintage-packaged style of Black Series figures like the 40th Anniversary lines, the Credit Collection and the 50th Anniversary Lucasfilm stuff (which is meant to mimic the older carded figure styles) all most likely fit into the "packaging for fan collectible products" umbrella.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 08:54 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2022, 09:20 AM »
A look at what might have been in store for TVC if Hasbro didn't pivot at the last minute and decide to keep the bubbles...

New 6" plastic-free carded D&D figure from Hasbro:

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2022, 02:27 PM »
I still say that plastic free was never in the cards for TVC.  Changing the packaging would have ended the line.
This is the way.

I have spoken.