Author Topic: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys  (Read 8503 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2022, 05:22 PM »
I'm fairly certain that there's another third party guy who is also offering the ball speeder.  Stan Solo's version looked a little pricey to me.

Hole in the Ground Productions does a Ball Speeder too, but I'd equate theirs to a TVC version. Modernized and detail-heavy. Also, their stuff is sold as kits that you need to assemble and paint yourself. Stan Solo's is ready to go out of the box...and it even comes in a vintage style box!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 05:25 PM by Muftak »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2022, 08:54 PM »
There are some nice 3D resin prints of the ball speeder out there too.  3rd party stuff is nicely taking off since printing is becoming lesss difficult/expensive. 

My buddy got a printer and is already printing a really nice Jabba palace that’s huge.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2022, 09:49 AM »
You should check out the Mighty Jabba's Collection YouTube channel.  That dude has 3-D printed some vintage style Jabba the Hutts and made one that looks like the puppet used in filming Return of the Jedi!  He even made action figures of the operators to go inside!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2022, 12:24 PM »
I like Mighty Jabba's Collection YT vids.

He gets a lot of the files from Desert Octopus on Cults. Mainly retro style but some can pass for modern. And the files are inexpensive.  Anyone into printing should check it out. https://cults3d.com/en/users/DESERT-OCTOPUS/creations.

Hasbro will never make the Hutt twins. I might finally set up the printer I have sitting unopened for 1-1/2 years and have a go at it.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2022, 02:50 PM »
I like Mighty Jabba's Collection YT vids.

He gets a lot of the files from Desert Octopus on Cults. Mainly retro style but some can pass for modern. And the files are inexpensive.  Anyone into printing should check it out. https://cults3d.com/en/users/DESERT-OCTOPUS/creations.

Hasbro will never make the Hutt twins. I might finally set up the printer I have sitting unopened for 1-1/2 years and have a go at it.

Woah, there's so cool stuff on there for sure.

I about had a seizure from all of the the overly fast, unsynced rotating GIFs though... they should look into a better way to display their models on their site.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2022, 10:59 PM »
So am I just having bad luck with these?  I ordered that Ubrikkian 9000 from Stan Solo on May 11.  It said ships in 6 to 8 weeks. 

It’s been 11 weeks and I haven’t heard anything.  The Etsy page says they’re “taking a short break”… the product page for that item is gone… they didn’t respond to an email asking for an update. 

I know this 11 weeks is a far cry from the THREE YEARS I’ve been waiting for the bantha… but this third party business hasn’t exactly been a great experience.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 11:09 PM by Rob »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2022, 12:31 AM »
He hasn't started shipping them to anybody yet. They are in production now, and I've seen the boxes completed now as well. They are on track as far as Chris's expectations and are projected to be about 6 weeks from shipping.

I think the Etsy shipping dates were just as far out as he was allowed to go on Etsy, even if they weren't realistic dates for his timeline.

He set up his own web page to sell on since listing the Speeder, after what he described as many headaches about the structure he was trying to work in on Etsy.

He has a really short temper and is really peeved when people ask about shipping, etc. He loses all control if you offer constructive criticism. If you mention Fans Strike Back you are forbidden to buy anything from Stan Solo anymore. It's basically the Soup Nazi episode from Seinfeld.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:43 AM by Muftak »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Uh oh.  I did email him asking for an update not knowing this.  I also did mention TFSB, but only in the context that I was asking him when he might be taking more Bantha preorders because I still haven’t gotten mine from them.

Do you know what the other website is?  Whenever I google him I just get results for Etsy.

Edit:   Never mind, I found it this time. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:30 AM by Rob »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Uh oh.  I did email him asking for an update not knowing this.  I also did mention TFSB, but only in the context that I was asking him when he might be taking more Bantha preorders because I still haven’t gotten mine from them.

Lol. No wonder you didn't get a response!

It's a long convoluted story, but he initiated the TFSB Bantha before selling Smith Lord Creations to them and subsequently coming back to start Stan Solo. TFSB saw this as unfair competition and tried to get him shut down at the China factories for being unlicensed product. That ultimately screwed them all over because the legal attention caused the factories they were both working with to either quit or charge more for the hassle.

Now any adversity at Stan Solo is blamed squarely on TFSB. On his Facebook he literally names and shames anyone in the group who leaves feedback at TFSB, then bans them as a customer.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:28 PM by Muftak »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Good grief.  This is all good to know. 

Hopefully because I only mentioned them in the context of wanting to buy his Bantha and being annoyed at not having the TFSB one after three years, he won’t blacklist me.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2022, 12:23 PM »
No Bantha for you!!!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 2, 2022, 01:47 PM »
Seems like a big opportunity for someone who is not a shady a-hole to set up shop and succeed working in that space. It’s really not that hard to run an honest business with transparency.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2022, 09:17 AM »
I just got a shipment from TFSB.  Not the Bantha, but the Fett three pack and shadow trooper and Black R2.  One bonus I didn't know about, is the black R2 must be modeled off the R2 with saber because it comes with a pop up red saber.  Still waiting on Bantha, slave Leia, and set of 13 figures with Thrawn.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2022, 09:45 AM »
Amazing that they actually mailed you something!

I emailed them the other day about the Bantha since it’s been three years and they’ve allegedly been shipping them since November… they said I was 26th or 27th in line in this next batch of 50.  I don’t understand how it could be this slow.  Are they really getting 50 at a time from a factory!?  If they have this batch of 50, are they mailing two a week??!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2022, 08:15 PM »
Their factory talk is a smokescreen. They have someone in the Chicago area handmaking them, it was said they can produce 10-20 a week. They then get shipped to Georgia, where the sculptor/project manager ships them out to customers. At least that was the official line in May.

I would say the output from their "factory" must have decreased greatly in the last 3 months for them to still not have gotten around to yours. But also you can't trust anything they say, so the surprisingly low 10-20 units they claimed was probably just as much an exaggeration as is the status of their toy factory.

It's just sad at this point.