Author Topic: Happy Holidays, Now pack your bags and get out *Updated*  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Happy Holidays, Now pack your bags and get out *Updated*
« on: November 3, 2005, 04:53 PM »
Well I got laid off today after nine years on the same job.  I have til the middle of December.  The only good news is that I will get nine months severance will all my benefits.  If I come up with something somewhat quick it will be a bonus and I can bank that severance pay.  Alot of us have felt it coming especially from such a big corporation that had to lay off 6000 over the last couple of years.  Its kind of a relief since I am so buried at work and was just thinking how it would be great for all this crap to just disappear.  I have enought contacts so I am not that concerned yet.  I plan to enjoy the holidays for once in my life and take a few months off unless something rolls on my lap. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 08:01 PM by Jim »

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Happy Holidays, Now pack your bags and get out
« Reply #1 on: November 3, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Congrats, I guess. Good luck finding a new job. And try and have fun this holiday season.  :)

I know my Dad has been getting stuck in the same boat the last few years, he has so much crap to do at the holidays, and they don't treat him nearly as good as he deserves. I've been trying to get him to find a new job for awhile now, but for some reason he won't even though he  really hates his job.
"This is the way."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: November 3, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Well best of luck, but seriously, enjoy the severence package. It might be the longest vacation you'll ever have!  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2005, 06:13 PM »
At least you will have time to look for a new job while getting paid  8) Enjoy the "vacation", and I hope everything works out for you!
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2005, 08:05 PM »
Best of luck Jim.  :) Hope you enjoy your "Vacation".

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2005, 08:30 PM »
Good luck with everything Jim!  There is a bit of the career change in the air around here...sometimes like you said this can be for the best.  Its good you'll be getting paid as well :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 3, 2005, 09:31 PM »
Wow, my condolences on the loss of your job and congrats on your extended vacation.  You don't work for NorthWest airlines, do ya? 

I'm sure something will work out and hopefully sooner rather than later.  I went six weeks without a job for a bit and while it was nice golfing, it was stressful having a mortgage and not having a job (My wife was working).  Yeah, I know, six weeks isn't that long).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 4, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Like I said, all my salary is still in place minus my ST and LT disability which will actually put a few extra pennies in the pocket.  No I didnt work for the airlines. I hate flying to begin with nevermind being around the damn things.  I worked for a certain Food Company that is the largest in North America and is owned by some damned cigarette company.  That part of it always pissed me off, since my Mom died of Lung Cancer. Not only do these companies make billions but we kill millions.   >:( Well long story short, is that 3 of the shareholders in these 3 companies are breaking up some of the relationships with one another and it is becoming nightmarish.  We took a hit a few years ago that I survived and my company will be hit again sometime within the next year or two if they havent closed permanently to a cheaper job climate.  It seems to of been a constant job interview and combining jobs till people were burnt out. 

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2005, 10:39 AM »
Hmmmm....holding a job that long then getting laid off really sucks. Getting Laid off is crap-you don't even do anything wrong and lose your job. I had a job for 4 years once then one day a guy shoved me from behind knocking my lunch all over the floor and I snapped, threw him through a set of double glass doors and...got fired. I'm in my current position for 13 years and havn't snapped yet. GL finding new employment-enjoy the time.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2005, 10:58 AM »
Sorry to hear about that Jim, but hopefully things will work out for the best.  Absolute best of luck in finding something new, and even better.  In the meantime, hopefully you can enjoy the severance and time off.  All the best...God bless.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 4, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Hmmmm....holding a job that long then getting laid off really sucks. Getting Laid off is crap-you don't even do anything wrong and lose your job. I had a job for 4 years once then one day a guy shoved me from behind knocking my lunch all over the floor and I snapped, threw him through a set of double glass doors and...got fired. I'm in my current position for 13 years and havn't snapped yet. GL finding new employment-enjoy the time.

Reminds me of an episode of Angel where an employee snapped and killed another guy because he forgot to replace the toner...

Anyway, Congrats on the extended vacation!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 4, 2005, 06:33 PM »
Sorry to hear that you're out of work. Although you're kind of relieved, if you need to feel better, be thankful you weren't my wife. She got fired while in the hospital due to health complications durring our second pregnancy.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Jim -- sorry to hear about the layoff -- but am glad that you will get a nice severance package.  Think of this time as a blessing -- when else will you get to spent so much time with your children while they are young?  My husband was off for 12 weeks for back surgery and though it was hard he really tried to soak up every minute with the kids.  Good luck -- I hope everything works out for you.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: November 4, 2005, 11:37 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year, though it wasn't this close to the holidays.

Best of luck, Jim. Things turned out better for me when I got handed my walking papers, and I'm sure the same will be true for you.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2005, 12:12 AM »
Sorry to hear, but sometimes these things turn out for the best, and unlike many people, you are getting a very good severance pay.  Enjoy some time off, and good luck in your endeavors.

:P