Multimedia > TV-9D9

The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread

<< < (44/69) > >>

Brian:
Although I've liked some of the stuff we've seen this season, and I do enjoy astro droids as much as the next person, I really feel like this season has been boring.  It used to be "appointment viewing" for my daughter and I, and now it is more a DVR and we'll get to it when we get to it type of thing.  I really liked the opening episode with Maul/Oppress, and since then it has been mostly boring.

My daughter and I were just talking about it this weekend when Obi-Wan and Anakin showed up at the end of the episode, when she said "finally, some Jedis".  I think we've seen "the Colonel" more than we've seen either Anakin or Obi-Wan this season, and if you truly are getting back to trying to appeal to kids - I think they'd rather see Jedi slashing and troopers blastin'.  Hopefully the back half of the season is back to more of that warring formula. :)

Jesse James:
I used to watch this with my gf and the kids too Brian, and now they laugh at it being so bad.  She'll sometimes still sit and watch it, and she doesn't really pick it apart for my sake I think, but she's become quite willing to tell me when one sucks.

She hated this last story arc...  She missed at least the Walrus Man episode, but caught last week's, and she said it was really silly and, "unrealistic" (her word, but I agree especially after we've all sat and picked all the plotholes apart here), and said it was pretty boring.

She brought up R2 being a Ninja too, but not doing anything like that in the films save for his couple sequences in ROTS which were nothing like in the toon.

I won't quit watching, but I'm going to now just squeeze watching this in without prepping.  No way in hell I'm buying seasons on DVD now unless they're almost free too.  I've missed buying the last 2 boxed sets, and I'm not upset.  The movie, and the first couple seasons, were all better and worth having around.  Since that whole trippy Jedi dream sequence they had with The Father, The Son, The Daughter, and whatever the hell else, I feel that was the beginning of the end for this show, in terms of quality.

I may be in the minority, but to me that whole thing flew in the face of Star Wars.  It was silly, ill-conceived, and easily forgotten to me.  I just can't believe they screwed up the "Kids love Clones" formula.  Kids and adults both enjoyed it being just a visualization of the show's name, since we didn't get to see the actual Clone Wars on screen.  Blah.

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on January 16, 2013, 02:34 PM --- I just can't believe they screwed up the "Kids love Clones" formula.  Kids and adults both enjoyed it being just a visualization of the show's name, since we didn't get to see the actual Clone Wars on screen.  Blah.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's really a bummer.  I really hope this isn't the last season because it's such a turd.

I hope we do get a season next year, one that fully focuses on the ramp up to RotS (with ZERO new characters introduced, because let's face it - 85% of the new S3/4 characters suck ass.  Give us a couple episodes each on what happens to Ahsoka, what happens to Rex, what happens to Cad Bane, Palps putting the pieces in motion for the final showdown (plotting his own kidnapping at the hands of Grievous!), and more Anakin and Obi-Wan TOGETHER, actually doing something for a change, preferrably in the ROTS starfighters and preferably with the 501st/212th in tow.  :P

McMetal:
LOL, I was just thinking last night, "Man, remember how great those episodes were with the Force-Wielders!" To each his own, I guess, that was an amazing arc to me so I tend to look at it as more of the zenith of the show than the beginning of the end. It's definitely been on a downward trend this year though.

Those dudes over at GH seem pretty keen on the droid arc, so I guess there is always a welcome audience no matter what direction they go.

To Jeff's point, considering all the set-up they have left to do before ROTS, they could stretch that into two very solid seasons IMO. Just map everything out over 40-44 episodes or whatever. Go out with a bang, I say.

Jesse James:
Here's what really sucks...

The opening crawl to ROTS says, "there's heroes and villains on both sides..."

How about taking the ROTS crawl,a nd just working off that?

I've said it before, and it still stands.  The 2D Clone Wars shorts were miles superior.

It doesn't help though that Lucas made characters like Grievous pretty chumpy in the films too.  Grievous, in the 2D toon, had Jedi ******** their pants.

Lucas even set up the premise that Jedi aren't super heroes himself, in TPM, and he really didn't play that up either.  They did a little better with that whole Lair of Grievous bit and the Mon Cal mail-away figure.  That was a great figure, a great promo, and a great story arc.  It set Dooku up as a bit of a sadistic boss.  It set Grievous up as tougher than just a slightly smarter battledroid with emphazima, and it let some actual fear creep into the show.

To me, the show's height was Landing at Point Rain...  War, war, war.  Action, action, action.  Clones and droids dying left and right.  It's been downhill from there IMO with a few spikes of ok.

If you do a cutesy one-off episode (3PO/R2 one, whatever), fine.  But only ONE!  One a season, and only one.

How they went from the greatness of the sinking of Separatist version of the "Bismark", to where this show is now, is really just hard to wrap my mind around.  The map was there.  This has to be what happens when Lucas is too involved.  Only he could make me look at the Disney buy-out as nothing but a positive thing.  Someone's there to say, "uh, yeah, no", or at least that's my hope.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version