Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 586656 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #4170 on: March 12, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Well your excuse of "underpants gnomes probably put it there" didn't really fly with me, sorry.

And for the last time, it wasn't portable.  You ripped it out of the subflooring.  That's NOT portable!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: June 27, 2021, 02:22 PM »
For once I actually went to the main page of Rebelscum and was shocked to read this:  Philip Wise:  I'm retiring from Rebelscum.com

New management is set to take control soon.  And even Phil acknowledged in his announcement that there will probably be an uptick in their content output.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4172 on: June 27, 2021, 03:05 PM »
New management is set to take control soon.  And even Phil acknowledged in his announcement that there will probably be an uptick in their content output.

So... an online shop/reseller is now in control of Rebelscum?  I'm guessing the "uptick" will be heavily ad related then? :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: June 27, 2021, 11:18 PM »
Hmmm… I guess it was bound to happen eventually. 

I still use their forum a little… mostly for Gentle Giant stuff.  I hope the new guys don’t rock the boat too much.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: June 28, 2021, 06:51 AM »
Probably over a decade ago it was a daily stop for me.  The photo archive is still a good resource, especially for determining when something was released and what it originally sold for.  That is really the only thing I have used the site for recently.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: June 28, 2021, 07:37 AM »
The quality of the RS front page content has been in decline for a while.  The best period for it was probably when Curto and Dave Myatt were the principle contributors.  But even if you look at the photo archive, they're struggling to keep it anywhere near current.  That was always a big draw for me - especially when they were comparing similar figures, and documenting repaints over time.  But that's changed, and I usually go to JediBusiness for their photo archive.  And on the news front?  Yakface has been eating everyone's lunch on that front for a few years now.  And they have been able to do that without playing the access game with Hasbro that so many other sites have to do.

The forums are.... the forums.  There's a lot of discussion, sure.  But I'm equally curious about what direction the main page will go in with the new management.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: June 28, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Probably over a decade ago it was a daily stop for me.  The photo archive is still a good resource, especially for determining when something was released and what it originally sold for.  That is really the only thing I have used the site for recently.

That is probably the only reason I've gone to their site over the past four years also.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4177 on: June 28, 2021, 10:05 AM »

So... an online shop/reseller is now in control of Rebelscum?  I'm guessing the "uptick" will be heavily ad related then? :P

That was the main reason I left RS in the first place.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: June 28, 2021, 01:39 PM »

That is probably the only reason I've gone to their site over the past four years also.

Same, in addition to their "Local Store Finds" section in the forums. But a lot of locals got out of collecting before the Sequels came out, so I haven't been to RS in years.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: June 29, 2021, 08:02 AM »
The main page is now surrounded by absolutely enormous ads, and if you click anywhere in those margin ads you're going to get directed to the advertiser.  It's pretty ridiculous.  The news section now accounts for maybe 30 % of the width of the main page on my screen.

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: June 29, 2021, 11:40 AM »
Ad Block Plus.

I don't have a single ad on their front page.

Not that I ever go to their front page...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4181 on: June 30, 2021, 07:58 PM »
Wise sold it out to a reseller!?  ******* shocking stuff. 😐

Like Nick said, Yakface has been really the only news source now for a while, besides Bossk’s Bounty getting some scoops.  Outside that, it’s dead everywhere else and that’s fine I guess.  Sometimes a qna yields something, but rarely.

As communities go, this is the only one I enjoy.  Disgust groups are just full of toxicity...  and the other forums are no better, and increasingly fewer.  I’m content with the friends I made here.  Not a lot of new guys I feel I’d relate to, and not even a lot of older collectors I relate to anymore now that many of them are batshit insane.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:00 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: June 30, 2021, 08:05 PM »
As communities go, this is the only one I enjoy.  Disgust groups are just full of toxicity...  and the other forums are no better, and increasingly fewer.  I’m content with the friends I made here.  Not a lot of new guys I feel I’d relate to, and not even a lot of older collectors I relate to anymore now that many of them are batshit insane.

Same for me.  I get info about Gentle Giant from RS, but I don't have people there who I've met in real life, or have any kind of rapport with.  It's just you knuckleheads.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #4183 on: July 2, 2021, 11:17 PM »
I’m content with the friends I made here.  Not a lot of new guys I feel I’d relate to, and not even a lot of older collectors I relate to anymore now that many of them are batshit insane.

Hey! I represent that comment lol.

You have to wonder what is really in it for the buyer. I imagine just a means to get the list of forum member email addresses for marketing purposes and to throw more ads on the front page. RS hasn’t been a news worthy site since Curto left almost a decade ago. The change in RS now or tomorrow is insignificant nowadays.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4184 on: July 3, 2021, 01:44 PM »
I'm happy with these forums as well.  Yakface is good for news, but I'm not even a member of their forums.  The various Facebook groups are barely better than RS everyone always trying to buy everyone else's stuff!  Frankly, I'm surprised I don't see the open vs loose debate over there as well like what was on RS back in the day.

I started a YouTube channel just for the creative outlet and some fun and I have people on there trying to get me to sell parts of my collection as well!  No one can be happy with what they have.  At least here we can joke around and just talk about the hobby....that's what I love.
This is the way.

I have spoken.