Author Topic: Too Much Stuff?  (Read 13529 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Too Much Stuff?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 12:18 AM »
I think I've finally reached the point of "Too Much Stuff". I recently aquired approximatley 60 or so SPAWN figures and sets, and once I've moved all 3 massive boxs in to my bedroom, I had little to spare. Fast forward to yesterday when I moved my computer from the office in to my bedroom as well.

Much to crowded.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2006, 02:36 AM »
I've reached critical mass as well, so a good 30-35% of my DVD library has made its way to eBay. Partially to fund my new HDTV, and somewhat because I just feel I had too many movies, a lot of which I could just rent for free, and some which don't merit owning.

Feels good to have empty rack space, should that "must have" movie come along.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2006, 11:06 AM »
I reached this point several months ago but was too overwhelmed to do anything about it.  Over the past two years, I've thinned out my collection, mainly Saga figures as I had been collecting every basic carded figure from 1995 onward.  I had chosen to sell different pieces here and there and just make a little cash to fund more figures.

Then, my wife and I bought a house.  I thought great, now I'll have the room I need.  But as I was boxing the stuff up for the move, I started asking myself, why the hell do I have all of this.  I don't really want it and it is just taking up a ton of space and doesn't do anything for me.  I decided once we got moved, most of the collection was headed to eBay.  I had over 80 clones and decided to keep about 20 and sell the rest.  I'm also getting rid of most of the modern part of my Han Solo focus.

I have sold ships, 3 packs, custom figures, lots of loose figures, unleashed, and a number of other things.  I have cut back to where my entire collection fits on one wall of my study.  I still need to relist a few things that didn't sell in round one on eBay but that will happen when I return from vacation.  I decided I would continue my vintage Han Solo focus and that would really be all I needed from SW.  I'm also working on building BBI/Dragon military figures because these hold a special place in my heart...some of you know what I mean by saying that.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2006, 02:51 PM »
Yep, add me to the list of "Too Much Stuff", way too much. I'm in the process of moving & it's just an overload. I have been collecting since mid 60's, lots of stuff I don't want to let some stuff go but it has to be done. Model kits that I will never build, books, magazines, comics etc...

Modern SW stuff, yep thinning it down big time. Just keeping what I really want.   :-X

Nice to be part of the yearly toy show here, sure can pruge alot of stuff & what does not sell goes to the auction block.  ;D

Man, a person can acumilate alot of stuff over the years... oy!  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2006, 05:38 PM »
Moving is bad news.  I packed it all up and continue to buy exclusively to put things in boxes.  Went through everything last week and currently have a sizable pile for sale over at snowtroopers.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2006, 07:29 PM »
I hit that "way too much" point a long time ago. I ended up selling a good bulk of my collection, partly from frustration but mostly because of space. I got a little sick of buying a figure only to have a "better" version be released a year or two later. I also couldn't keep up with all of the lines that I was interested in at that point so I kind of gave up on most of them. As time has gone on and I've become "wiser in my ways" so to speak with my collecting. I find my interests shifting more towards "collectibles" rather than just "toys". I'm really into the GG stuff now and have picked up the SS 12" line because of the quality they provide. I'll also pick up a Kotobukiya figure on occasion as well. I'm still really into the 3 3/4" line but try to pick and choose for the most part because I know they'll most likely be a better version show up sometime down the line. I did put this train of thought on hold briefly though because I really like they way the figures look in the new TSC packaging.  I guess the cycle never ends completely....

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2006, 11:53 PM »
I have way too much stuff as well. The stuff I have on display has been "quarantined", in terms of growth, for now, but there's still a bunch of junk in boxes/Rubbermaids in my closet. Mainly old Lego sets, the Falcon, and old toys from when I was younger (Spider Man, Batman, Power Rangers, etc.). I'm seriously considering selling all the old stuff off for cheap. It's all "valuable" stuff, but it's all open and in played with condition. So I guess we'll have to see what happens.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2006, 01:55 AM »
I pruned my carded collection, getting rid of every pre-Freeze Frame carded figure I had since Hasbro has updated all of those many times over. Next, I'm considering getting rid of the rest of the figures that have better, updated versions. I'll probably open and keep all the army builders.

I'd like to get rid of everything except the OTC/06 Saga and VOTC stuff, but I actually find myself unable to part with most POTJ, TPM, and 02-04 Saga figures. Weird.

I want to get rid of most of my old Toyfares. I suppose I could just chuck those in a recycling bin and be done with them.

Other than that, the collection still gets bigger, but not at the pace it did a couple years ago.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2006, 02:07 PM »
My Star Wars room has been a room full of boxes since I moved into my new house in April.

This weekend, my wife and I decided to change that.  First, she suggested we paint it, so we moved every box out of there.  It took up half my living room and half my rec room, as well as two closets.  When the painting is done, I still need to put up shelves before I can move the boxes back in there and start unpacking.

Even then, I look at these boxes and know there is NO way I can fit everything in that one room.  I'm going to have to rotate displays, and store the stuff that's not on display somewhere (I don't know where yet).

I may have to sell some of this.....or get very creative about how I show it off.  I'm out of room, big time.
Got Clones?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2006, 09:05 PM »
I'm in the same boat...although I'm not getting rid of anything.  I'm just about moved in with my fiance and pretty much all the collection is in rubbermaid bins in the basement.  She's a little shocked by how much stuff is in my collection.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2006, 03:03 PM »
I've been continuing to give this some thought, as it looks like I'm going to have to really focus in on cutting back on things overall (when collecting, comics, and DVDs are all considered).  I have been reading up/looking at the beginning years of the POTF2 line, because I wasn't really actively collecting then, and it seems like if the line was similar to that in regards to releases - it would make things easier.  Of course, things can't be exactly that way anymore - because at the time it was the first modern versions of all of the characters, and they were only drawing from the OT movies.  I just see how those years consisted anywhere from 12-30 figures per year, a handful of deluxe and vehicles/beasts, and that about covered things.  The collecting budget could definitely handle more.  I can see how many people started off with a carded and loose collection, when there is only 12 figures at first (and not knowing what is coming beyond that), its easier to keep up.  Plus, there wasn't so many "games in town" so to speak, with all the different companies and lines - particularly higher end lines - like there is now.

When I first started back in collecting (vintage at first), I started by buying loose POTF2 figures - starting with the main guys.  Then I started picking a few up at retail, and then buying some Episode I figures when the movie came out.  The first time I got deeper into a line overall was with the POTJ line, which I collected almost in its entirety.  Granted, I skipped a few figures and vehicles along the way, but I was basically able to get by on about an average of $30 a month for a collecting budget.  Since then, things have ballooned not only with Star Wars but picking up other collectibles along the way.  Now I try to keep it under $100.   I know my wife didn't say a word about my spending when it was $30/month, but it comes up a lot more often now :).  I can't say I don't agree though, because when I look at what I spend for a year (or month), it seems crazy at times.  I think that's part of things too, I sort of miss the simpler times.  I don't have to buy anything, but its nice when there isn't quite as much out there to tempt you :).  Not that I'm complaining about all the nice product, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that liked the less cluttered, less releases, cheaper and simpler times.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I basically feel the same as I did in my last post on here (last year), but I've started thinking about this lately.  As much as I really still enjoy collecting, it is really becoming difficult to find the space for things (not to mention the budget).  I still, at times, long for days like the POTF2 time where there weren't nearly as many figures/vehicles/etc. released in a year.  Again, not that I have to buy anything, but if there was less to tempt, it would help a lot.

I realized the other day that with the last few things that I've picked up/ordered, I think I would have already had more figures than I did as a kid.  Within the past couple weeks I've gotten the Battle of Hoth Ultimate BP, the Mando/Elite Forces sets from EE, and a few single carded figures as well (not to mention the exclusives and figures coming up).  With a few sets, its already more figures than I ever had as a kid.  Its funny how things change.  I could probably stand to have the simpler outlook I did as a kid :).  Anyways, I'm really getting to the point where I'm going to have to stop collecting some things - or pack some more stuff away.  I've gotten away with having to pack fairly little away, aside from figures that have since been improved upon and a few vehicles from the prequels.  Having a look at some of the collections on here that have a toned down, streamlined and clean look, it kind of makes me envious in some ways.  Its always the same problem for me, too much stuff - not enough space.  Of course, it didn't help any when I branched off of Star Wars into even more lines (Marvel Legends, LOTR, GI Joe, DC, etc.)  That definitely doesn't aid in the whole space (or budget) issue.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 12:38 PM »
I could probably stand to have the simpler outlook I did as a kid :).

Truer words have never been spoken.  When I was a kid, there was the Kenner line and that's it.  Now I'm collecting numerous lines, maybe even nearing double digits (I don't want to think too hard about it). 

Ah well, I always tell my wife I could spend my money on booze or crack instead, then I don't feel so bad.  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 02:13 PM »
You do spend it on booze ???
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 02:36 PM »
I'm going thru the pain of this as well.  I already have a whole room downstairs dedicated to SW, but it has overflowed into the rest of the downstairs as well.  Serious point of contention between me and the Mrs.  I would have a little more space if I didn't have Transformers and Marvel Legends in there, but I bet these take up less than 5% of my room.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today