Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 230905 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #825 on: July 22, 2009, 02:53 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAgjSHjlT9I

That one has been played a million times & I still get a kick out of it.  ;D

Holy...living...****. Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket....we're on the ******* moon.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 24, 2009, 07:17 PM »
July 24, 2009: NASA scientists have interrupted the checkout and calibration of the Hubble Space Telescope to aim the recently refurbished observatory at a new expanding spot on the giant planet Jupiter. The spot, caused by the impact of a comet or an asteroid, is changing day to day in the planet's cloud tops. The Hubble picture, taken on July 23, is the sharpest visible-light picture taken of the impact feature. The observations were made with Hubble's new camera, the Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3). WFC3 is not yet fully calibrated, and while it is possible to obtain celestial images, the camera's full power cannot yet be realized for most observations. The WFC3 can still return meaningful science images that will complement the Jupiter pictures being taken with ground-based telescopes

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 29, 2009, 03:53 AM »
The space shuttle Endeavour cast off from the International Space Station Tuesday after a whirlwind 11 days of construction work at the orbiting laboratory.

Endeavour is due to land in Florida Friday at 10:47 a.m. EDT (1447 GMT) at NASA's Kennedy Space Center.

Earth shines above in this image of the International Space Station's new Kibo lab porch, which extends from the main Kibo module as seen by an exterior camera as the shuttle Endeavour (bottom) undocked on July 28, 2009 during the STS-127 mission. Credit: NASA.

A record 13 people assemble for a group photo on July 25, 2009, during the STS-127 mission to the ISS. The shuttle Endeavour crew includes astronauts Mark Polansky, Doug Hurley, Christopher Cassidy, Tom Marshburn and Dave Wolf along with Japanese astronaut Koichi Wakata and Canadian astronaut Julie Payette. The station crewmembers are Russian cosmonauts Gennady Padalka and Roman Romanenko, Canadian astronaut Robert Thirsk, European astronaut Frank DeWinne and NASA's Mike Barratt and Tim Kopra. Credit: NASA.

The International Space Station is backlit by the blue Earth in this view from the shuttle Endeavour taken after its undocking on July 29, 2009. Endeavour's shadow can be seen on the solar arrays at the left of this view. Credit: NASA TV.

This site is cool.   8)

WeChooseTheMoon.org

The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum has launched WeChooseTheMoon.org to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first moon landing. The site, powered by AOL, recreates Apollo 11’s lunar mission, minute by minute, with an interactive experience that lets visitors experience the mission as it happened, using archival audio, video, photos and “real time” transmissions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:54 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 29, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Shuttle inspection finds no damage

The forward heat shield of the space shuttle Endeavour getsa close up in this photo taken by an ISS astronaut before the two spacecraft docked on July 17, 2009 during the STS-127 mission. Credit: NASA.

Space Shuttles May Have to Fly Beyond 2010, Panel Says

Panel backs NASA bid for bigger shuttle budget

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 30, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Astronauts launch satellite, prep for landing day

This image provided by NASA shows the space shuttle Endeavour backdropped by a blue and white Earth, taken by a member of the Expedition 20 crew onboard the International Space Station shortly after the shuttle and station began their post-undocking separation on Tuesday July 28, 2009. (AP photo/NASA).

In this July 28, 2009 photo provided by NASA, Space Shuttle Endeavour (STS-127) is backdropped by a blue and white Earth, as photographed by an Expedition 20 crew member on the International Space Station soon after the shuttle and station began their post-undocking relative separation on July 28, 2009. (AP Photo/NASA).

Astronauts aboard the space shuttle Endeavour have tested their flight controls in anticipation of a planned landing back on Earth on Friday morning. Thursday should be the last full day in orbit for the shuttle before returning to NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida for a planned 10:48 a.m. ET landing.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 31, 2009, 11:25 AM »
The Shuttle Endeavour is on it's way home, I'm watching it live online. 23 mins till landing.  8)

Live coverage of STS-127 ISS/Space Shuttle Endeavour

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 31, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Beautiful landing, well done.  :)  8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 1, 2009, 01:45 AM »

Space shuttle Endeavour kicks up dust as it touches down on Runway 15 at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on July 31, 2009 to complete the 16-day, 6.5-million mile journey on the STS-127 mission to the International Space Station. Credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 2, 2009, 08:16 AM »
Its a thing of beauty aint it
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #835 on: August 12, 2009, 01:19 AM »
Anyone watching the Perseids tonight?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 12, 2009, 01:48 AM »
Cloudy up here with a storm warning so no show here tonight.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58 AM »
There was just enough of a haze where you couldn't see anything.  Stars were obscured, as were the planets, but the moon still shone thru.  Oh well.  I caught the Leonids in 2001, which were amazing!
I am not the Stig

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 12, 2009, 09:56 PM »
weren't we supposed to be seeing those high res shots of the the Apollo landing sites by now?

mta:

never mind....answered my own question

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:03 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 13, 2009, 10:57 AM »
I wonder when we are going to get pictures of the alien base on the dark side of the moon?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours