Author Topic: Hasbro's "A Rated" Star Wars Characters  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: Hasbro's "A Rated" Star Wars Characters
« Reply #15 on: June 2, 2009, 04:09 PM »
That's very interesting if Qui-Gon is on that list.  Maybe we are misunderstanding what the entire "A-list" means, since I think there was at least one 3 year stretch when we didn't see a single Qui-Gon, wasn't there?  And I'm not sure a year has gone by when Han wasn't made, or C-3PO for that matter.  Maybe there's actually something tied in with the movies here, and Qui-Gon & Darth Maul are the "A-listers" for TPM, but lower ranked in overall release strategies. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: June 2, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Listening to the ForceCast just now, it definitely sounds like Qui-Gon makes the "A List" cut with Maul because there's not much else from TPM that kids liked.  Also has to do with all those 8-12 year olds who watched TPM and are now 18-22 year old collectors.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: June 2, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Listening to the ForceCast just now, it definitely sounds like Qui-Gon makes the "A List" cut with Maul because there's not much else from TPM that kids liked.  Also has to do with all those 8-12 year olds who watched TPM and are now 18-22 year old collectors.

"This is the way."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 2, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Yeah, this "list" was originally mentioned a couple issues back in Insider - and although I don't know that they mentioned Chewie, they did specifically say that "you'd be surprised to know that Han isn't on the 'A list'".  I think that the reason sited was he wasn't as popular with kids, which is surprising to me (although they do seem a little more into prequel/CW era stuff overall).  It did sound like when they say things like "the hero figures are selling well", they are talking about others (Han/Chewie) outside the "A list".

Like Jeff mentioned, it pretty much sounded like "well, since the lightsaber battle was the only good thing about TPM, a lot of kids like Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Maul" :P.  Like everyone has mentioned though, for Qui Gon being so A-list, he sure hasn't gotten many releases.  The very nice Evolutions figure is making it back out in the mail away this year, but I'm surprised it wasn't put into Saga Legends yet if he is so high profile to them.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I also thought it was funny how they mentioned Luke was "A list", aside from the Tatooine version.  I mean, I guess I can understand how the Pilot and Jedi versions would be more popular (and even Bespin/Hoth) - but to me the Tatooine/Farmboy Luke Skywalker is the most "iconic" look for him (although I think I like Bespin the best personally).  This may be one of the reasons why we haven't seen the VOTC version re-released (although I thought it could have been a good fit in the Falcon battle pack).  I'd still like to get another extra or two of that figure, waiting on a re-release in Legends or somewhere.  I'm thinking it might be "saved" for a Death Star Escape Luke at some point, similar to what we're going to see with the VOTC Han Solo.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I also thought it was funny how they mentioned Luke was "A list", aside from the Tatooine version.  I mean, I guess I can understand how the Pilot and Jedi versions would be more popular (and even Bespin/Hoth) - but to me the Tatooine/Farmboy Luke Skywalker is the most "iconic" look for him (although I think I like Bespin the best personally).  This may be one of the reasons why we haven't seen the VOTC version re-released (although I thought it could have been a good fit in the Falcon battle pack).  I'd still like to get another extra or two of that figure, waiting on a re-release in Legends or somewhere.  I'm thinking it might be "saved" for a Death Star Escape Luke at some point, similar to what we're going to see with the VOTC Han Solo.

I wonder if the "A list" in part is built from Hasbro's own perceptions. If that is the case it might explain why Tatooine Luke is not considered "A list" material, going back to the days of the fan lashback from all the Tatooine Luke sculpts that plagued the world from 95 thru 99.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2009, 05:02 PM »
Yet Farmboy Luke has probably had the most releases of any Luke I would guess.  Or so it would seem.