Author Topic: Airing of Grievances  (Read 2654 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Airing of Grievances
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2022, 07:35 PM »
So many options this year…plastic free packaging, repacks, repaints, uninspired character choices, price hikes, preorder snafus, the usual hit parade.  ::)

100% agree a lot of the fun has gone out of the hobby. Definitely planning to approach things differently next year, take more of a wait and see attitude. Prices have just gotten too crazy.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2022, 10:47 AM »
There are definitely plenty of grievances to air over the whole line in 2022.

The repainting / reuse issue is becoming a real thorn in the side of many collectors of both the 3.75" and 6" figure lines.  And making Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers in alternate deco is becoming a very obvious and lazy way out for Hasbro these days.  It seems to be a case of "be careful what you wish for", because all of the wishing for troopers has led to lines that are dominated by them and main characters seem to be falling by the wayside.  As for secondary and tertiary characters?  Secondary characters haven't been packed in appropriate quantities, and tertiary characters are nonexistent!

The whole Boba Fett repaint situation is completely obnoxious on the part of both Hasbro and Target.  It's inexcusable when that figure sculpt debuted as VC186 in 2021 for $12.99 and in 2023 Target is selling that same sculpt for $22.99.  Is this Target trying to recoup money that they must have lost on the Black Series Carbonized figures that were a complete sales dud?  If that's the case, F*** YOU, TARGET!  Maybe if your buyers paid attention to collectors on social media, they would have noticed that collectors were over the whole carbonized thing pretty quickly.  Ironically, who would have thought that Walmart would have far more reasonable prices on their exclusive figures????

Distribution remains an issue, but that's where we are when we have 2 primary brick and mortar retailers, and online retail is dominating the landscape.  Online retail has been great for collectors to an extent, but the diminishing presence in stores is a problem for the health of the line.  The reason being that online retail is geared towards customers who know exactly what they want to buy.  But what the line needs is volume sales in order to have greater sales success, and that depends on more casual customers who are buying for kids because they see a figure hanging on a peg.  Will the presence of Toys R Us sections in Macy's actually lead towards an eventual return of actual TRU storefronts?  We'll see.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Vehicles?  The situation there is bleak.  And I think the price points have been prohibitively high.  The quality has been fantastic, but charging anywhere from $70 - $200 for vehicles doesn't lend itself to volume sales and financial success.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:49 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2023, 02:58 PM »
It’s Festivus and time for the airing of grievances.

I’m not sure much has changed since last year.  Still too many repaints, kitbashes, and deluxe / non-deluxe price bull$hit.  This is true of Black Series as well, and not just a Vintage Collection issue.

Still very little support of new media, or really much of anything new.  We’ve still only got a few Andor figures well over a year after the show came out with very little (nothing?) shown in the pipeline.

They did mange to get one big thing right and that is to HasLab The Ghost.

I’m still hopeful at some point somebody with a pulse will be put in charge of the Star Wars line and get the excitement going again.