Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126457 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad most everyone seems to like the junk yard.  It was a fun piece to do but I think it will surely be overshadowed by a lot of other things in the project.  It's not quite Owen D. material in my view but for my first experience with styrene, I'm excited about it.

Phruby - How is the wall coming along?  Any questions about it?

:P

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 24, 2007, 04:00 PM »
I have a ship that I made and I will post pics soon. I think it is worthy. Question!!  Is there some thing I could hang it from with fishing line or does anybody have any cheap suggestions for clear styreen tubes to make a stand for it?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2007, 04:44 PM »
Do you have a pic of it? 

I'm thinking that it will be pretty hard to hang anything.  If on site it appears that something can be hung, then that might work, but I'd say the best bet is to make some styrene tubes as stilts.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2007, 05:27 PM »
I've got a clear tube that might work.  Its about 2 inches in diameter and about 10" tall I think.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 24, 2007, 07:51 PM »
 Thanks and I appreciate the responce and thanks for the offering but I would rather be prepapared with the fixture aspect ahead of time so I'm looking for cheap ideas. If worst come to worst I will go to the aquarium store and get the solid tubing.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 24, 2007, 08:01 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad most everyone seems to like the junk yard.  It was a fun piece to do but I think it will surely be overshadowed by a lot of other things in the project.  It's not quite Owen D. material in my view but for my first experience with styrene, I'm excited about it.

Phruby - How is the wall coming along?  Any questions about it?

Havn't touched it yet. I'll be working on it this weekend.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2007, 08:06 PM »
Thanks and I appreciate the responce and thanks for the offering but I would rather be prepapared with the fixture aspect ahead of time so I'm looking for cheap ideas. If worst come to worst I will go to the aquarium store and get the solid tubing.

If you want me to send you the tube I have, let me know. 

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 24, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Nah don't worry I'm sure it would cost you more to ship than for me to pick one up after work. I was just hoping somebody had an idea about something they may have seen at the dollar store or something.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #503 on: April 24, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Just a reminder guys I need exact measurements of all your buildings....
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2007, 10:24 AM »
Just a reminder guys I need exact measurements of all your buildings....

Dang it!  I knew I forgot something.  You'll have to get those from Phurby for mine - they shipped out on Monday.  They were all basically 5" x 8" (plus or minus a bit).

Phruby/Ryan -
I just wanted to warn you a bit.  The trees will be a bit tricky to deal with.  The way they were made they sometimes have a hard time standing straight up.  You'll probably have to fiddle with them a bit as you add them to the overall terrain.   Ryan suggested to maybe use screws of some sort but I didn't have anything that I thought would work for sure.   I think guys may have to work on assembly of that onsight a bit.  Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:35 AM by BrentS »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #505 on: April 25, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Not a problem Brent. It shouldn't be a problem since I'll be adding them to the terrain. I'll bring some thing wooden dowels or even toothpicks that can be used to help support the trees from the inside. Are you going to want them back or can I use adhesive on the bottoms?
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 25, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Not a problem Brent. It shouldn't be a problem since I'll be adding them to the terrain. I'll bring some thing wooden dowels or even toothpicks that can be used to help support the trees from the inside. Are you going to want them back or can I use adhesive on the bottoms?

Nope, I don't need them back.  Feel free to take whatever liberties are necessary to attach them to the terrain!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 25, 2007, 04:04 PM »
Adhesive - good idea.  Double sided sticky tape might work out well for that.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #508 on: April 25, 2007, 04:26 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of Hob-e-Tac. It should be stronger than the tape, and shouldn't have any problems holding up the trees. And if it leaks out at all it is clear, and will adhere the ground cover I'm going to put by the base of the trees to help blend them in.
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2007, 05:23 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of Hob-e-Tac. It should be stronger than the tape, and shouldn't have any problems holding up the trees. And if it leaks out at all it is clear, and will adhere the ground cover I'm going to put by the base of the trees to help blend them in.

Ryan, You've been building more terrain than me recently, but I had bad experience with Hob-e-tac.  It seems like it never completely dries.  I the weight of the trees might be too much.  Hot glue might work though.