Author Topic: Working with Sculpy - Questions/Comments  (Read 17907 times)

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
Working with Sculpy - Questions/Comments
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I picked up Some Sculpey. I was wondering How to Bake it when your using it on a Plastic Action Figure. I tried a Hair Dryer but it did not work. Is the Melting point of The Plastic Used for Action figures high enough to withstand the 275 degree 15 min Baking Requirement? Or, Can you only use Sculpey for seperate Pieces that you add to the Figure Later after Baking?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:10 PM by Jeff »
Fritzkrieg

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
Re: Sculpey ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:38 PM »
Boil it. You can space the time up with 30 second in and out. About after five time of doing that check and if still soft repeat. Also sometimes it gets brittle or can crack. You can coat it with super glue, just brush it on, will work like a charm.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:27 PM »
I echo the boil trick.  I usually boil for 2-3 minutes when sculpy is attached to figures.  I've tried boiling for longer and it actually discolored the white a little bit.

One piece of advice - get a dedicated pot to boil your sculpey.  It leaves a residue in the pan that I wouldn't want to cook in!!

If I recall, there are some sculpy tutorials over at FFURG but I'm too lazy to go and check.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 11:51 AM »
I boil mine. Its really a very simple process. The thought of baking my figures just scares the hell out of me. Just follow the same process you would when doing the whole boil and pop thing. It only takes about 3 minutes or so.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Do you Bake your Sculpy??
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Does anyone bake their Sculpy in the oven?  If so, do you use a standard kitchen oven??  I'm thinking of making some accessories for my diorama with sculpy and since I'm not attaching them plastic, I don't necessarily need to boil them to cure.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
Re: Working with Sculpy - Questions/Comments
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I did once, before I learned the boil trick.  I used a kitchen oven, and placed the pieces on a tinfoil sheet.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2006, 11:06 PM »
yes Go ahead Brent, that is how I do my Figurines.

Its 15 minutes, then take it out the heat they absorbed will finish the baking. Just be careful you don't over cook, other wise it will discolor it if its colored sculpey and make it brittle, if you are just using white, don't worry bout it,and as long as there arn't parts that are thin or long and it over cooks, it won't break.

So if its a pillow, or Column it'll be ok.

Adam

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 02:41 PM »
I'm planning on making a Tott Doneeta (Twi'lek Jedi from Tales of the Jedi). It was suggested I use Sculpey Bake 'n Bend to make the lekku. Anyone familiar with that?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 02:55 PM »
Definitely baking in a standard oven works fine.  I've never had the problem of the figure melting before the sculpy gets enough heat.  I've also never kept it in the oven for 15 minutes- more like 5 at a temp of about 300.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I just took my first path down the sculpting side...

To be continued...

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 08:54 AM »
DO NOT PUT PLASTIC FIGURES OR PARTS IN TO YOUR KITCHEN OVEN!!!!!

Plastic is a chemical compound that when heated will release toxic fumes which can then be transferred into your food. Super Sculpty is tested to be safe and was not meant to be used in the standard kitchen oven instead of a kelm. Be safe and do not bake plastic in your oven. You may not notice anything at first, but over time you may developed health problems that may not be reversible.

Here is the best way to produce your own action figures or parts. The best thing you should use to add detail or build up features on your figures is using a 2-part epoxy compound. Sith_Fire30 uses FIXIT for his creations and then makes a mold and a wax cast to put the finial details in wax. Sideshow Collectables use Apoxie Sculpt from a company called AVES Products. This stuff works like clay when mixed equally and applied and then hardens like a rock in hours. If you have to use Super Sculpty, I recommend that you treat it like clay and once you sculpted your piece or details, make a mold and then cast in resine or wax. Sculpty was never really design to handle the extremes our hobby demands on products. That is why I abandoned that stuff years ago for more professional look for my sculpts.

Lets keep this hobby safe and stay alive, OK.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 09:29 AM »

Be safe and do not bake plastic in your oven. You may not notice anything at first, but over time you may developed health problems that may not be reversible.

A small price to pay, for sweet looking action figures.

Sculpt on, my friends.  Sculpt on.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:30 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Correct you are Ben, Technically we should all have a seperate pot for boiland pops :o, What I meant when I said the oven for 15 minutes, is like pure sculpy no plastic. I make nativities, santas, or any other "cute" little thing you can thing you can think of.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 12:34 AM »
This is why I boil my Sculpy.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 02:14 AM »
i tried putting a figure in th oven to cure sculpy a couple years ago, it cured fine and while the figure didn't melt, the painted details such as eyes, began to run. it was a wookie figure and the eyes ran about half way down the face!

it looked kind of cool, but not really what you want.... and if it may cause health problems, as ben mentioned it's probably best to steer clear of it!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."