Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

What Would Be "The End" For You?

(1/9) > >>

Brian:
I know we've discussed before how much longer the line might last, but I was curious what would bring about "the end" of Hasbro Star Wars for you?  I started thinking about this again while my wife was asking me how much longer they would be making this stuff (which, when you think about it, it is crazy how long this has gone on).  I know some have already stopped due to boredom, feeling complete, prices, or something else.  I expect we are seeing more people cut back or stop completely as we approach $10 figures.  Plus, honestly - at least on the movie side of things - we're starting to get a pretty complete lineup.

I'm guessing we'll see movie figures at least through the 3D releases, and probably a little (or long) beyond that.  The CW line will be there as long as the show is on I'm sure, and some form of Legends is likely as well.  For me personally, I think I'm probably in until they stop making figures from the movies.  There are still some things I want to see (resculpts, all-new, etc.) that I hope they get to over the next 3-5 years, but overall the collection is getting pretty complete at this point, with some pretty nice figures.  Although I do collect some of the CW line, I think I'd use the stop of the movie stuff as a good place to jump ship.  I'd probably pick something up here or there if it was spiffy enough, or I'd move on to something else I'm interested (likely Marvel/DC stuff).  I've collected something (whether it was sports cards, comic books, or action figures) about as long as I can remember, and I think I'd probably continue on in some capacity - or maybe move on to other areas of SW collection (or finally finish my vintage collection).

Anyways, I think the end of the movie line (barring any new movies), would probably be the point where I would stop.  I guess this is providing that the movie stuff doesn't carry on another 20 years for some reason.  Unless the figures somehow took another huge leap in quality (like POTF2 era to now), I can't see continuing to re-buy these same characters again and again, if the line somehow went on that long.  Depending on how the line is handled, I can't see how they wouldn't have the remaining wants pretty well covered in the next five years - at least going by our "top 10" lists and my own personal hopes.  When is your stopping point?

Dressel Rebel:
I can't stop.  I'm not even going to try.  Even when they stop making new figures I'd collect on the secondary market and start customizing and sculpting my own figures like crazy.

I've been at this since for 31 years and hopefully I'm not even half done.

McMetal:
At this point I'm hoping the TCW line ends with the show in two years. Call it a day for the animated style and let me retire in peace.  ;D

If they want to recycle those figures into a more realistic style, go for it. But only if the animated line is given a proper end.

With me, it's not about money, it's about space. And my wife.  ::)

JACKOFTRADZE:
Only if they stop making realistic movie figures/vehicles. Even then I would track down other things that I passed on or got rid of. Personally, I feel the line in terms of quality has never been better. If they keep up the pace they are going I do not see stopping ever. As we get more definitive versions of characters I think the "concern" of "having" to rebuy characters continues to become less and less of a issue. Many collectors are frustrated from distribution & price more than anything else. (The latter part most will deal with as what is not expensive these days. Many will curb but most will not stop.)

I am now 20 years in on collecting SW figures, for me to stop now is just out of the question. I started as a 14 yr old in high school and for all the changes in my life, all of the places/States that I have lived and for all of the people who have come and gone in my life SW figure collecting has been one of the three most consistent things in my life. As nerdy or pathetic as it may sound it's a normal part of my life like eating. Recently, I enjoy it so much more as my daughter loves spending time in my collection room playing with some of the stuff. Watching her play and pick out here favorite things has made my collection so much more special. Watching here little face looking at this stuff is priceless as someone else besides me enjoys the collection! (No surprise Cammie's big eyed dog thing and Woklings are her favorites!)

The one adjustment I have made is I no longer buy every single thing just because the SW logo is slapped on it. While I buy 95% of all new realistic items I will not support something if it's really stupid. I also do not support the animated line. (I only buy the real standouts of the animated line Embo, New Cad Bane, new Ahsoka) I vote with my wallet as to what I will support.

I hope this line does not end for a long time which it appears it will not. When it ends one day I can say for sure the best way to cap the line off is to make the Tonnika sisters. They would be the most fitting bow out to this line. Until then, Hasbro keep on making them! (and keep on supplying etailers more so I have no need to hunt!)

speedermike:
I was just thinking about this.  We're trying to sell our house in May and I was packing up my collection for Open House events.  There was just so many figures...it just seemed endless.  While there's a ton that I really love, there were mnay I looked at and said, "Why did I buy that?"  (Many EU...sorry)

I've been collectiong my whole life it seems.  I was on board from 1977 to 1985, and the from 1995 to today.  I think that I just need to be more selective in what I buy.  I no longer buy them all, that stoped a while ago.  I think I may only buy whay I really, really want.

Here's an odd twist to the story...I've been dealing with depression for most of my post-teen/adult life.  It's come and gone over the years. A year ago, I finally decided to try some mediaction.  While it has helped some with the depression, this medication also helps with anxiety.  In truth, it has made me less anxious about collecting.  I don't really worry about "missing" anything.  I look at my collection and I'm happy with what I have, not worried about what I don't have.  I don't stop at TRU whenever I pass it.  I just seem to enjoy it more, and worry less about controlling it.  Maybe that's why I'm willing to just pick up what I totally dig.

I'm not out, but I am certainly not "in" like I used to be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version