Author Topic: The Force Awakens Toy Line - Rumors and Speculation  (Read 36449 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Force Awakens Toy Line - Rumors and Speculation
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2015, 10:52 PM »
I was lucky enough to find the last wave of TBS figures at my TRU by chance when they had just stocked them. I grabbed the Clone Wars inspired figs but left the rest. 2 days later they were all gone, and it was back to R5 and Yoda repping the pegs. I think in some areas they just move so quickly it seems as if they have no presence at all.

Why don't stores order more figures when they sell that quickly though? That I do not comprehend.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Yeah I doubt I quit completely...  Like I said, customizing would overtake collecting as my primary gig, and I'd just enjoy making 5POA better or improving a vehicle.  I would definitely buy more acid rain I want without hesitating at the price though.

I didn't want Joe levels of articulation either Matt.  I don't like even the modern Joe articulation on Star Wars figs now.  I felt really that 2007 was the ideal levels and styles.  Some figures get less than others and some get more and for the most part it made sense.  I miss 2007 routinely as a collector.

At the same time though, hasbro had a deep pool then too.  Different era, less resculpts.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Well, SDCC showed us nothing, so now we depend on rumors and leaks for our TFA news. 

Let's kick the TFA section off with a rumor report from Rebelscum:

The mission Series two packs in Hasbro's The Force Awakens collection will include build-a-weapon pieces. Collectors that purchase all three sets in the Jungle Mission, Desert Mission, Space Mission, and Snow Mission waves will be able to create larger weapons (presumably) seen in the upcoming feature film. All these new Mission Series two packs are expected to hit the shelves on September 4th as part of the Force Friday event.

So, is the "build-a-weapon" thing the real reason for the Mission Series price hike to $15?  Or just a side benefit to ease the inevitable price hike complaints?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:16 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Looks like that RS rumor report yesterday was pulled from a UK catalog.

Maybe I'm reading it different... but based on the text in the catalog, these sound like single figures and not 2-packs?

"Each 5-point articulated 10cm figure comes with an accessory and an extra weapon.  Collect all three figures from the jungle, space, snow, or desert missions to create a unique build-a-weapon"

429/4513 – Snow And Desert
445/5486 – Jungle And Space

Thanks again Hasbro for clearing this all up for us at SDCC.  #NOT   :-\
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:59 AM by Jeff »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Ugh, the prospect of cool "accessory" type weapons being included now as a BAD type thing with figures I don't want...  Hmmm.  Just the thought kind of has me intrigued and sad at the same time.  I love things like the Radar Laser Cannon but dread buying it piecemeal with 5 POA figures. 

Have to see them to be sure what way I'm doing with this stuff, but I'm intrigued at least.

Again...  Thanks Hasbro, for giving us not even the most remote of clues to know what's even going on.  It'll be very weird on 9/4.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 10:10 PM »
Dribs and drabs of info like this are definitely fodder for some conversation and plenty of speculation.  The 5 POA info is not unexpected.  I think that we saw that coming.

I just wonder when or how info about the line is going to be publicized.  Is Hasbro going to come up with some collector media event some time late next month?  Are they going to use  Hasbro Pulse for the release?  Or are they maybe going to go through USA Today?  That's been a pretty regular source of articles about Hasbro releases at Toy Fair.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:11 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2015, 11:01 PM »
I'd think, if anything, Pulse...  Beyond that, leaks. 

There could be some large media outlet bones thrown around too, but I think Pulse's timing puts it as the way they intend to spotlight anything they MAY leak out.  Otherwise it'll all be just random leaks lists and what we see on 9/4.

Pulse seems coincidentally timed though.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2015, 11:36 PM »
Listening to a few of the SDCC interviews around the web, it seemed pretty clear from Jeff Labovitz at least Force Friday will be when we see this stuff first. We know it won't be and Hasbro's marketing team knows that, but that seems to be the idea. You have to admire the commitment to this strategy at least, especially in the era we live in. As I've said, I'd like to go in blind, but that's impossible and before too long here we're going to have very concrete ideas of what will and won't be out 9/4.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 02:13 AM »
Virex hit me up on Twitter that he listened to FlyGuy's interview with Topps, and it was pretty similar to Hasbro... Whole lot of "we can't discuss that" type stuff, and it smacks more and more of Disney is to blame for all this.

I don't get WHY they'd want to keep you in the dark on everything though...  Overly protective?

It's interesting to see things handled this way.  More than ever really.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 10:53 AM »
It's an odd thing. On one hand, you have complete radio silence on it, and then on the other hand, you have a product rollout 3 months in advance of the movie. Which actually for SW is unheard of and I think more of a question mark than anything else. In every other case it's been weeks or maybe a month before the movie. We've heard a little bit about one wave until December - really? Potential log jam if the stuff doesn't move or there's too much of it. Then again I thought I saw some quotes yesterday from the earnings report meeting that indicated we'll see a trickle of stuff to the movie and beyond.

One thought I had - Hasbro has been very cagey about SA 3.75 to this point, adamant they can't talk about 9/4 though they are happy to discuss 6 inch and Rebels (i.e. 5 POA). We know from their talk about Ceremony Leia that SA 3.75 is continuing in some fashion. There's been some chatter about that line as an exclusive. The only real way forward for this segment that I see, that ties into the nostalgia for the film and justifies what I think is going to be a terrible price point is Vintage. I think it's very possible that we see Vintage carded clamshell cased SA figures from this movie, maybe at TRU, maybe somewhere else.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Still Virex after all these years
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 11:23 AM »
I think it's very possible that we see Vintage carded clamshell cased SA figures from this movie, maybe at TRU, maybe somewhere else.

That has been my guess too...

I'm going to guess:
$7 - 3.75" 5POA line
$15 - 3.75" premium collector line (like VOTC was back in 2004).  Maybe clamshells, maybe on vintage-style cards, maybe even exclusive.

I think we'll get what we want... but I think we're going to pay for it as well.

I still think that's where a 3.75" SA line ends up.  We'll see...  a return to the Kenner card style would be a nice PR win for Hasbro.  People would still complain about the price, but they'll buy them all because of the cards anyway. :P

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 03:21 PM »
I personally think the build-a-weapon thing is cool and am looking forward to it.  If Hasbro executes this like the did with build-a-droid I'm all for it.  They did a good job of having the assortments be all new figures so you didn't have to buy a repack just to get the one droid piece you needed.

I'm glad they're looking at a new spin on an old concept as well.  I would like BAD again, but we've had that a bunch of times and BAW sounds cool, at least for a limited time.

On the $15 premium line - I really hope they don't add extra "crap" just to justify the cost.  I really don't like clamshells being included.  I would dig extra accessories if that gets them to the right price point / value, but a clamshell is just a waste of my money. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Matt is too vague around these parts. :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28 PM »
I know.

Maybe I should change it back to Bill Cosby?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."