Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 162454 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #255 on: September 3, 2005, 12:48 AM »
Can't imagine why :P

You ahve time for a chat tonight or tomorrow?  Or should I just pm you a pile of details?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #256 on: September 3, 2005, 12:52 AM »
I'm in right now

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #257 on: September 3, 2005, 12:54 AM »
Gas dropped here 20-30 cents this afternoon from 2.99-3.09 to 2.79

Yeah it figures. I'd been holding off on filling up in hopes it'd go back down--then it spikes to $2.99--last night I had to fill up ($29 at $2.99)--then today I come across $2.79. *sigh*
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #258 on: September 3, 2005, 12:59 AM »
Driving up 169 this evening it was 2.79 in Mankato and Saint Peter and then 3.19 in Belle Plain and then 2.99 in Jordan and 2.79 in Chaska.

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 3, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Hurray! Ours just dropped from $3.39 back down to $2.99!!! ::)

I encourage all of you to voice your concerns about such matters to your elected officials. After all, they are there FOR THE PEOPLE. I do it all the time. I think if Michigans Senator's or Governor ever sees me in person they'll have me shot on sight!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 3, 2005, 09:42 PM »
2.99 in Jordan

You've got LaMont on the brain!

:D
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 4, 2005, 08:25 AM »
I've been around the oil business all my life, mainly because that is the career my dad chose.  He doesn't have anything to do with pricing and whatnot, but he did give me some interesting info about the demand for oil and why the price has jumped.

I'll type a bit here but I've got to get ready to go in a minute.  He said since 1978, there have been no refineries made in the United States.  Environmental groups have protested against it and laws have been passed that makes it virtually impossible to refine oil in the US.  Therefore we have to go overseas to purchase about 60% of what is in the US.  Obviously the other 40% is done here in the refineries we have in place.  If we could build refineries here, that would help with the cost of oil, a lot!!  Is there more oil in the US??  Most certainly yes, if environmental groups would allow for the drilling of it in certain areas, that woul help relieve some of the pain at the pump.  Recently, (can't remember the bill right now), a bill went through Congress authorizing drilling in Alaska.  Finally we can get into the oil fields we've wanted for years.  But, it could be years before we feel the effects of that simply because of the oil refinery problem.

Also, people talk about BIG oil companies.  There are only three of them, and there are no middle men in the business.  The 3 companies take the shipments from overseas, send it here on their own ships, offload, take it to the gas stations in their trucks.  No middle man there.  Another thing by dad brought up that I think some people have overlooked, we keep paying for gas.  (Of course, we don't have an option if we want to drive though.)  Until recently, there hasn't been a lot of loud complaining about the price. 

Oil companies know that we are willing to pay whatever we have for gas.  We live in a free market economy.  So, the companies can raise the price if they see fit and we have to pay it, because we need to.  Obviously we want lower prices, but the oil companies continue to make money because of good old supply and demand.  In my mind, both the consumer and the oil companies are the problem.  As consumers we haven't pushed hard enough for alternative fuels, and like any business in a free economy, the oil companies increased their prices.

I know some of you aren't going to be happy with this, but my dad has been in the oil business for 40 years so I'll believe what he has to say.  So don't bash what I've posted here.  I just wanted to get this bit of info out there for all to see.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2005, 08:26 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 7, 2005, 05:42 PM »
This is funny..what I suggest? is that EVERYONE should just "quit buying worthless $6+ figures and save their money to buy a home!"

Am I gonna do this(stop)? No ...but it WAS suggested- read on to the ROTS section "gas prices affecting...ect" last page of posts for a good alternative/laugh. Oh, and ...if you're poor or sympathetic to poor folks I suggest not to read(you may get offended)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 8, 2005, 03:32 AM »
Right, so the cheapest gas prices I can find in New York right now are $3.39/gallon.

We're all being held hostage, and the SWAT team is on strike.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 8, 2005, 09:16 AM »
Ours gas has dropped slightly this week.  We were up as high as $3.19 (for the cheapest) last week, and as of this morning it is down to $3.09.  Still way too much, but it could be worse I guess.  Still makes you think twice about going anywhere that isn't absolutely "necessary" though ;).

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 8, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Things are settling down here, too, after the long weekend.  Prices were as high as $3.99.  I saw $2.99 yesterday.  The average seems to be around $3.19 now. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 8, 2005, 10:49 AM »
You know what's strange? The Bay Area and LA usually have the most expensive gas, but since this latest turmoil (ha! pun not intended), the gas at the Shell station nearest my home hasn't been over $2.97. I am totally not complaining, but I just find it odd that other parts of the country that were usually $0.30-0.40 cheaper than here are now actually more expensive. Weird.

Watch, this'll probably come to bite me big-time in the rear, now.  :P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 8, 2005, 11:29 PM »
Dig this:

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME; THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE Sept 10TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM  DAY" AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE A S YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING; NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES; TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD; CLOTHING; BUILDING MATERIALS; MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY; WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD.

Got it in an email today...

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 9, 2005, 06:55 AM »
Apparently the Great American Gas Out isn't all its cracked up to be:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
« Last Edit: September 9, 2005, 06:58 AM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #269 on: September 9, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Those things will never work. At least someone's trying to fight back.

The prices have gone down by about 7 cents a gallon. Whoopee.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk