Author Topic: Star Wars Hero Series X-Wing  (Read 21470 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Star Wars Hero Series X-Wing
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:57 PM »
A 30" X-Wing was shown, listed as a "Hero Vehicle".  Not compatible with 4" or 6" lines though...  Interesting.

30" sounds like it might be damn close to being compatible with the 4" line though.  Have to crunch numbers.  If it's looking good, it's a good base for customs perhaps?  I'll wait and see.

Sounds like it's mostly just a way to put a big vehicle into kids hands that isn't too complex.  I'm intrigued!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:37 AM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Hero Vehicle - X-Wing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Star Wars Rebels Hero X-wing Pics are now live.

Its a mega-huge Xwing for just $40, which is a great deal for the price these days... but it's not in scale with either the 4" or the 6" lines.  And the canopy doesn't open.  And the R2 doesn't come out (so far). 

So, in summary - I'm not sure why anyone is going to want this.   ???

It looks cool though...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Rebels Hero Series X-Wing
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Interesting thing...  Reports were it's 30 or 29" long?

That's about 1/17 scale.  Star Wars figures range from that to about 1/20... 

I'd say the ship's length is open to some debate as well, as models from the films (including the CGI SE ships) don't "jive" perfectly.

Sooooooooo what I'm saying is, this may actually be a suitable to-scale X-Wing custom from a certain point of view.  I'm interested in it for that.  It'd take work to make it more than it is, but it's gorgeous looking.

It proves without a shadow of a doubt that Hasbro COULD do a to-scale ship for the figures though.  Same with the Y-Wing and some other fighters.  I wish they would.  This just makes me wish for that even more.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Didn't the original FX X-Wing have a dedicated Luke inside? Wonder why they didn't at least try something like that here. This is a little curious as to why there's no figure compatiability... I'd be interested to hear Hasbro's thoughts on the intent behind it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 05:06 PM »
I'd say the lack of dedicated figure and whatnot is simplicity...  I wouldn't be shocked if that hull is a roto-cast thing like those giant 31" figures at Wal-Mart. 

Why they wouldn't make it exactly compatible with figures, I don't know.  Maybe because they don't want you annoyed that you can't open it and put a figure in it, so make it a different scale?

That said, if the ship is 29 or 30" long like was being said, it's really VERY close to the figures...  1:17.

Star Wars figures don't really have a specific scale...  POTF2 ranged from 1:16 - 1:20.  These days 1:20 seems more their scale, but astromechs may be more in the 1:16 range actually.  It's weird.

And like I've said, "scale" on Star Wars ships is open to some interpretation.  There may be official dimensions but some of those are horribly off.  For eons it seems the AT-AT was listed at 15 meters when it's anything but that short.  The X-Wing had a LOT of models of it, and none match exactly.  From the lifesize one, to the CGI SE one, to about 3 different studio model scales...  They're all different to one degree or another.  The Falcon's even worse, actually.

I'm anxious to get one of these in my mitts and really examine it against figures.  It may make a great base to customize.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Is this like the vintage X-wing where you push R2's head and the wings pop open?  Do the wings pop open?  Would it have cost so much more to have an opening cockpit?  I like it.  I would love it if I could put a pilot in it.  It's the same price as Bigg's X-wing on sale, and that seemed to work just fine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:27 PM »
If it's like I'm guessing, roto-casting would not allow you to do much in the way of functionality...  Basically it'd be hollow inside and you couldn't have openings and whatnot.  I'm not SURE that's the case with how this is made, but to be that size, at that price, I'd be willing to bet that it's a cheap manufacturing process that doesn't allow for a lot of "features".

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Not sure I "get" this thing either, although it does look nifty.  Just not sure why they wouldn't at least make a working canopy/cockpit, although I'm sure it has some to do with pricing.  It just would add some playability to kids, and maybe get collectors interested as well.  I mean, if you're doing a large scale ship anyways, why not at least try to make it fit in with some figure line, right?  The fact that it has a name "Hero Series" makes me think we'll be seeing more of these too maybe?  I like the idea of being able to get a big X-Wing for $40, but I think kids/parents and collectors alike would like it to work with the figure line as well.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Like I said, and I'm just guessing, but I'd not be shocked to see this thing is roto-cast... I believe those big 31" figures are basically made that way.  It's cheaper, but it doesn't allow you to do things like opening cockpits and whatnot, as it's basically one solid piece when the casting's done.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 11:49 PM »
Hasbro has some really great 90% completed ideas out there.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 03:17 AM »
Fun fact...

29 Inches long on this ship means it's actually 1/17 scale, almost on the nose.  Star Wars figures range anywhere from 1/17 to 1/20 (the newer more lean to 1/20).  Given leeway in scale in Star Wars ships (lifesize props, IE: set pieces, tend to be smaller than listed measurements, and most hero ships have a variety of models that don't all sync up), I'd say you can kiss my grits on this ship not being for figures. :)

It may not FIT figures, but from a customizer's standpoint, this is a lot better than anything Hasbro's ever made, in terms of getting an X-Wing that LOOKS right with the figures around it.  I'll figure out how to make it work. ;)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:30 AM »
So close...and yet so far.

All you really need to customize on this thing is the cockpit, it seems to me. If you could just cut into the plastic and hinge it somehow, seems like you'd be good to go.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:33 AM »
This thing is such a puzzle. I wasn't quite prepared for how out of scale this was to anything until I saw it in person. It's overwhelming.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 04:14 PM »
If the length and wingspan are correct on the box Anton, the ships actually near dead on scale to Hasbro 4" figures.  1/17.  SW figs are anywhere from there to 1/20.  Plus the variances in model and prop scales factored in of course...  It's incredibly accurate that way.  If the wings opened I'd buy 12.  They don't appear to though so it'll be good for hangar scenes and customizing.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 5, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Saw this last night. The wings don't open. The plastic is the same plastic used for the Star Speeder 3000. Kind of cheap but solid. There isn't a lot of detail on the ship however it could be made to look fantastic with a paint job. The R2 is just a dome like what was included in the ROTS Jedi starfighters. It think the slot could be drilled out to hold a real R2. The is nothing inside the toy and no other play features. I guess we could cut the canopy off and build out some kind of cockpit for a figure. It's big enough to hold a figure in there. The canopy could be recasted clear.  Electronics could be taken from the FX version and stored inside. The wings could be cut  and extra plastic sheets added to the holes.

It's interesting it says Disney on it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours