Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Official Movie Thread

<< < (328/353) > >>

JediJman:
I'm just so tired of genpop hits being frowned on for awards.  If you sold a whole bunch of tickets and there's positive buzz around your movie, you should be up for "Best Picture."  If you were a little 200 theater release artsy fartsy that a dozen people liked, you should be up for "Best Artsy Fartsy." 

P-Siddy:
My problem with the Oscars is when some animated movie was up for Best Animated Film (which it won) and Best Movie categories a couple years ago.  If that is the case, then they should have categories for best comedy, best action, best western (not the hotel), best sci-fi, best drama, etc. and any of those movies can be put up for Best Movie.

As for biggest sales, well, they have the peoples' choice awards... not that means as much as the Oscars.

BillCable:
I believe they added Best Animated because animated films were vastly underrepresented.  The Academy judged them differently.  All these actors, writers and directors came from a live-action background, thus animated films were not respected.

Nicklab:

--- Quote from: JediJman on January 19, 2015, 04:02 PM ---I'm just so tired of genpop hits being frowned on for awards.  If you sold a whole bunch of tickets and there's positive buzz around your movie, you should be up for "Best Picture."  If you were a little 200 theater release artsy fartsy that a dozen people liked, you should be up for "Best Artsy Fartsy." 

--- End quote ---

I get where you're coming from.  The only time in recent memory where we saw a blockbuster film get some serious recognition at the Oscars was for Lord of the Rings - Return of the King.  Avatar got nominated, and I think that's because of pure force of will on the part of James Cameron.  But he didn't win for Best Director or Best Picture.  Still, a film like American Sniper is doing well at the box office and got a bunch of nominations.

The problem is the Academy.  The people who vote regard themselves as artists/filmmakers.  Some of their work makes money, some doesn't. And they take themselves VERY seriously.  Probably far more seriously than they should.  When a comedian like Ricky Gervais knocks these actors while hosting the Golden Globes there are all these gasps and groans from the audience.  And really, they need to get over themselves and what they do.  They're entertainers.  They aren't curing cancer.

The economy of filmmaking does come into play here.  The blockbuster movies are designed to make money for the studio as a whole.  They're considered tent-pole movies that will support the studio as a whole as well as provide funding for the smaller films that are more artistic and less likely to turn a profit.  That sense of broad appeal seems, in most cases, to have this inverse effect among the Academy voters where a big summer movie rarely gets nominated.  At least not for the major acting awards.  So maybe there's some resentment from the filmmakers who are involved in the smaller projects that feel money that could be funding their films is going towards the next Star Wars or Avengers film?

I Am Sith:

--- Quote from: Nicklab on January 20, 2015, 10:58 AM ---And really, they need to get over themselves and what they do.  They're entertainers.  They aren't curing cancer.

--- End quote ---

Amen to that!  My wife hates award shows because she can't stand all of the presenters and recipients gushing over how 'brilliant' and 'phenomenal' they all are...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version