Author Topic: Who actually exercises, and how?  (Read 21763 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Who actually exercises, and how?
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2005, 02:15 AM »
I run, bike, lift weights, etc. I enjoy excersizing.

I assume you're younger than 30 then...  :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2005, 02:30 AM »
He just hasn't discovered sex, drugs, and rock n' roll yet.  ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2005, 03:24 AM »
I run, bike, lift weights, etc. I enjoy excersizing.

I assume you're younger than 30 then...  :P

Is that because of my poor spelling or the amount of excersize I do? :P :D

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2005, 03:26 AM »
Up until about a month or so ago, I shunned exercise.

My wife has convinced me to take it up.

I now have a gym membership, that I use 3-4 times a week for an hour at a time.  

The ol' metabolism doesn't work as well as it used to, and needs some outside help. ;)

Ian
Moderator - www.thebothanspy.com
Former Admin - www.snowtroopers.ca

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2005, 05:51 AM »
I exercise a bit, not as much as I'd like to, but I can't seem to make the time for it in the way I should. I do some workouts with some dumbbells about 3 times a week, nothing grand, not looking for increase muscle size, just strengthening what I already have. I should really get back into doing crunches, my gut would be happy, but my back would kill me. :(
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2005, 08:12 AM »
I do some workouts with some dumbbells about 3 times a week, nothing grand, not looking for increase muscle size, just strengthening what I already have.

That's funny, I feel like I work with dumbbells everyday;)  ba-dum-bum.

I've been skiing twice a week on a season pass I got last October. The place I go is closing this week, and I have not decided what I'm going to do for summer exercise. I have some free weights, but haven't gotten into them yet.

I've got some fusion going on in my lower back and my neck, so biking and running are out.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Who actually "exercises," and how?
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2005, 09:06 AM »
The for the remainder of the year, I get the rest of my exercise by going to the fridge & getting a beer.   ;D

Nope, routine hasn't changed. Life is good!  ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2005, 09:27 AM »
I've pretty much been keeping up the same routine for the last 8 years or so, since sometime in college. I actually majored in Exercise Physiology in college, although I don't work in that area now, so it has always been an interest of mine.  I work out 6 days a week, taking Saturday or Sunday off.  I spend 3 days lifting, and 3 days running (most often on our treadmill).  We also take our dog for walks fairly regularly, and I play some hoops when I have the time.  I guess I'm one of those weirdos that actually enjoys working out, either that, or after all this time its just part of the routine and the day doesn't feel right if I don't get it done now ;).  Good luck to everyone in their fitness and/or weight loss goals...it definitely takes motivation and dedication, and anyone who has done/is doing it deserves lots of credit.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Now that it is getting nicer out recently the wife and I have been able to at least walk and take the newborn with us in a stroller.  Hoping to be running again by the end of April.  Need to lose the belly fat.  Ughhh.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2005, 10:33 AM »

I've got some fusion going on in my lower back and my neck, so biking and running are out.

Even with the recumbent stationary bikes? :-\  I'm aware of your problem and I was wondering if it was the jarring from a real bike, the angle of sitting on either a real or stationary bike or a combination thereof?  I know sitting on a stationary bike can be extraordinarily tedious, but that might be a solution. 

Concept 2 rowing ergometers are the modern day equivalent of a medieval torture device, but you can get stellar, near full body, cardio workouts on them in a relatively short period of time.  Pretty good for building strength too in many respects.  They are what I rely on mostly in winter for cardio.  Stationary bikes, in addition to be boring, don't seem to give as good a workout as the rowing erg or running, something else I loathe.  But they may not be suitable for you either, DP, sorry.

Also playing basketball and doing some (but not nearly enough) weight workouts as well.  Down from a weight high of around 230, need to be below 200 by June.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2005, 03:52 PM »
I work out 6 days a week, taking Saturday or Sunday off.  I spend 3 days lifting, and 3 days running (most often on our treadmill).

Damn, Bri!  Impressive.  Most impressive...

But just give it another 2 years and 2 1/2 months, and you'll see...  ;)

Is that because of my poor spelling or the amount of excersize I do? :P :D

I was actually aiming for the latter, but the former applies just a little bit as well...   ;)

30 was like a brick wall for me...  **SPLAT!!**

And Deanpaul, doesn't the skiing jack your fusion problem all up too?  Surprising that a few of things would, but that skiing doesn't.  I guess I just don't know too much about the fusion thing really...

If I got out on the slopes and tried to ski right now, I'd be completely toast after one trip down, I'm sure.  But getting the chance to go skiing twice a week is pretty cool, Dp.  Not many can make that claim, you lucky bastard out there in the snowy Utah mountains!  :-*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 03:56 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2005, 12:52 AM »
Even with the recumbent stationary bikes? :-\ 

The rowing machine could be a good experiment, if I could get loose before getting into the workout. NordicTrack made a treadmill with a really springy deck that I was interested in a couple of years ago. I don't think I could run on it, but maybe I could work up top it or at least incline it.

Regular bikes (I think) would be rough because of the neck needing to basically look "up" to be looking forward - and the arch of the spine sounds uncomfortable as well. I have a regular mountain bike in the basement from college that hasn't been ridden since.

I should look into the recumbent bikes - although I'd probably go for a road one vs. the indoor. However, I probably not looking at anything that's going to need that kind of financial investment this summer due to some recent reversals.

Being outdoors is really the key for me. As important as the cardio and moving around stuff are, the fresh air and sunshine seem to be what my body is really after. I'm the guy who works at home and can easily go several days without leaving the house. Anything that is not a desk, computer or drawing table has appeal.

Honestly, I was feeling really down last October. I wanted to move, I wanted a new job - nothing was good enough or seemed to be working out. I was depressed. I was about to go to a doc and ask about medication - that's how bummed and hopeless I was. Luckily, I talked to a friend about it first who I knew had a similar experience several years ago.

He asked if I was eating well. "No". Sleeping enough? "No". Exercising? "Uh, no".

Pretty obvious I needed to change lifestyle before looking into meds, but I was so turned around I'd try almost anything.

That's why I got the ski pass. The fresh air is huge, and it's great to have time on the chair to think. I usually only go for a couple of hours, which works out because I don't need to spend myself trying to get my dollars out of a day pass that runs about $50. I bought my pass in October for $280.00. It gives me two days a week (Tuesday and Friday) all season long.

And Deanpaul, doesn't the skiing jack your fusion problem all up too?  Surprising that a few of things would, but that skiing doesn't.  I guess I just don't know too much about the fusion thing really...

You know, it is weird. I went bowling last year and paid for days with a pinched nerve because of all the muscle guarding around my lower back. I was doped up on Lortab and flat for 3 days. Basketball would also be rough, with the hard floor, quick stops and pivoting.

Skiing is actually pretty low impact for my spine, and my knees are still solid. At least the way that I ski. I don't ski ice or hard moguls, never jumps, and I'm good enough that I don't really fall anymore. I do go fast. Powder and groomers are where I spend most of the time. It's really a pretty smooth and graceful ride, and my back gets a good range of movement making turns down the hill. I also hike a little to get to fresh snow in some of the areas, but never back country.

My sacroiliac joints are completely fused, so bending over to get the boots unbuckled is tough, but putting them on isn't bad.

Here's a little video I shot of my daughter skiing. Note that I'm the one skiing backwards, with the camera.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2005, 02:02 AM »
I've never been the kind of person to work out, so to speak. Most of my excercise came when I was younger, and involved sports of some kind - football, baseball, and hockey mostly. I used to play ice hockey and roller hockey in organized leagues until about 6 years ago, then I just stopped. I have a bike - it sits in my basement with two flat tires. I still have my rollerblades and ice skates - just don't use them. I've never been "overweight" per se, I'm 5'11" and weigh around 180 - 185 lbs.

But I do eat like crap, I can tell you that - and in light of certain current events, that has got to change, and change quick. I don't need to "diet" or anything like that, I just need to eat the right foods instead of eating at Burger King and Wendy's 4 days a week ::). And my metabolism is definitely slowing down as I get older. And the drinking doesn't help.

But now that I'm getting ready to have my girlfriend move into my apartment, I've been getting a bit more "excercise" lately, if you know what I mean  ;)

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2005, 05:06 AM »
I work out 4-5 times a week. I am in a martial art called Hapkido and I train for 4-5 days during the week. I kick, punch, twist and throw. I do a pushups, situps and all the other good stuff to get in shape. I also lift weights at home.
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
How many work out here?
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2010, 12:53 PM »
We, as in the the group here at JD, are a pretty good cross section of society.  I'm curious as to how many people work out or try to keep themselves in shape. If you want to give a commentary on what you do, go for it.  I'm just really curious about this.  How many work out, play football, softball, basketball, etc to keep themselves in shape?

I have been a freakin' gym rat for years.  12 years and counting.  I think I'm in pretty good shape, but in the past year or so have added a bit more body fat than I would like to.  This is mainly due to having a little one in the house and not having as much time as I used to to devote to weight training.  I was pretty much left with the option of weight training or cardio training (my diet fluctuated a lot) due to time constraints.

Now that my little girl is a little older, I can put her in a jogging stroller and take off and get my running in and the weights in when she goes to bed.  I'm currently training to run a half marathon.  I'm working with a trainer buddy of mine to hang onto as much muscle mass as possible while training for the distance and still being able to maintain my sprint speed.  (That's for the competitive softball leagues/tournaments I play).
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.