Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 590496 times)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
Re: Rebelscum Spam Mail? WTF???
« Reply #1575 on: April 11, 2005, 10:03 PM »
I have a Force.net polo shirt that is up for use for anyone at C3 who has a creative idea on using it... Pinatas anyone?
(and, no, I didn't buy the shirt- but it is a nice one)
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 11, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Matt, don't forget John Hamm who also just asked to be banned and said he might drop by.

In the end, in terms of member numbers LJ and Josh are right - but in terms of which site is wiser (no pun intended), runs smoother, and is more full of good information and devoid of morons like Matkatnadam?  You're looking at it.  Eventually, if Rebelscum's reputation means anything, the adults will go elsewhere and the inmates will continue to run the asylum.  Which works well for Phillip because all he needs to get paid is a big long email list to send junk mail out and a lot of teenagers clicking on his homepage to view the ads.  The dollars will keep rolling in.  But in terms of being the best site around - that ship sailed with the members that are ditching Rebelscum.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1577 on: April 11, 2005, 10:10 PM »
I have a Force.net polo shirt that is up for use for anyone at C3 who has a creative idea on using it... Pinatas anyone?

Pin the tail on the donkey (ass), perhaps?   :P

Matt, don't forget John Hamm who also just asked to be banned and said he might drop by.

Yeah, if John swings by here, I'd most definitely include him in that list as well...  8)

In the end, in terms of which site is ... devoid of morons like Matkatnadam?  You're looking at it.

Actually, I'll add John to my list, if you make sure to add the ridiculously obvious ommission of Jimbo to yours there, Rob!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 10:16 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 11, 2005, 11:00 PM »
If I can be serious for a moment, an idea that has been coming up a lot lately (in varied situations) is that of quantity vs. quality.  In this day and age, certain people/groups/websites/etc seem to put a premium on claiming that they have "over 10,000 visitors every 10 seconds" or something similarly outlandish.  The thing that comes to my mind almost immediately upon reading that is, "Sure, there were 10,000 visitors, but how long did they stay?"

I've been a so-called "visitor" to several really bizarre and esoteric websites over the years, but often times I would only be there long enough to look at the front page, realize that there was nothing there that I was interested in, or I had been linked to said page for a story, I left once I "got what I came for."  The point is that I visited the front page long enough for their great big clicker-tracker-thingamabob to catalog that I had visited the site, even though I would never return to said site in the future.

The last time I looked at RS.com's front page about a week or so ago, at least half the content was an advertisement of some sort for a site sponsor, a link to an article at TFN or another offsite source (usually Hasbro or SW.com), or some short, vague byline for a news story which more or less consisted of unsubstantiated speculation (OMG EARLY BIRD LOLZ).  There was very little of substance on the front page that could not be gotten (and in more depth, I might add) from JD.com, GH.com, or so on and so forth.  JD's front page has (and this is an unconfirmed empirical observation here) about 1/10th the daily postings that RS.com does, but at least 10 times the actual content that RS.com's updates do. 

RS, going back to my original comparison, has increasingly put quantity over quality.  It's easy to say "We post 10 updates every day at the least" when at least nine of them are "Pay 20 bucks for a figure you'll see everywhere for 5 in two months right now through our sponsors in Abu-Dhabi so we can get a kickback!"  Whenever JD or GH or some others post an update on the news page, I can be reasonably sure it is something that will interest me and I don't have to wade through ads or C2 Ventures autograph scams to get to the information.

Same thing goes for the RS.com forums: I'd much rather be here, which is relatively smaller, for the intimacy that comes with the smaller size and visibility, as the conversation is more personal and everyone (my random posts about whimsical actions at C3 aside) usually maintains a level of maturity.  JD might not get 15000 posts a day, but if JD got that, I can be more or less guaranteed that the majority would be worth reading.  At RS, people post just to (metaphorically) hear the sounds of their own voices.  For us (at least for the ones who don't work on the site itself), JD is something we come to in order to escape from reality for a moment; a lot of the people on the RS forums (GNT) seem like they live there.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather be here than there, for the reasons I (and many others before me) have outlined above.  And even though it's not the thread to say it, thank you to Chris and the staff for making this site available to us. 

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 11, 2005, 11:06 PM »
Now, everyone needs to keep it down or else Lord Philip will hear us!  Don't you know how important he is?  He created INTERNET and if we don't watch our mouths, he'll ban us all from JD.com too!  He can do that, you know, because he is the most important person in the universe!  We are all just anonymous peons who would say none of this to his face!

[/sarcasm]

And on that note, I will send five dollars to the first person (with corroborating witnesses from this board) who says it to his face at C3 next week.  Extra dollar if he chases you and passes out after three feet of "running."  :D

EDIT: I would do it myself, but five dollars to have someone else to do it is easier for my broke ass to handle at this point than paying for a plane ticket and convention access.

If I was going Id do it for free.
I remember my dream now.

Offline RenegadeJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: April 12, 2005, 12:22 AM »
The main difference between RS and JD...this page is what...35+ pages long now and NO flame wars have broken out. Josheee and LJ said there piece and instead of everyone jumping all over them they responded to in a level headed manner.

If you of you went over to RS and posted your thoughts you would be hog tied and quarted by all of Philips lackeys...

Oh and one final thought...I was really hating on PW for his actions with myself and the whole spam issue, upon seeing a recent photo of him I now realize it's not worth getting so worked up over some old geezer, life is too short to worry about idiots who...aw enoguh, Jackass is on MTV2!
"Collect to Collect" what moron thought that statement up?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 12, 2005, 12:50 AM »
Renegade, the reason I don't flame LJ is because she lives near me! ;) (Just messing, Lady Jaye!)

An open mention to Mr. Wise:

Hi everybody,

I'm kind of interested to see just how many forum users post in this manner. It is surprising to me there would be so many people acting so childish in a public forum provided for your enjoyment free of charge.

What is it you hope to gain by posting in this manner? Do you think you are going to hurt my feelings? Does this make you all feel so manly because you have the bravado to post spiteful remarks anonymously like this? Geez, you have some growing up to do.

People like you do not deserve Star Wars, or at least Star Wars deserves better fans than you.

In this forum, you are an invited guest. If you can't act that way, leave. I have no desire to provide a resource for people like you.

I recommend you find another place to post, one that you don't feel the need to spit on. I don't care what you write about me or TF.N, but I do care where you do it. Spitting on me and TF.N has just ended for posters in this forum.

1) Lets look at the fact that its a forum: A place to discuss ideas, oppinions, and thoughts on a variety of subjects.

2) It must bother you enough to merrit mention.

3) Star Wars deserves every fan it gets. You had no hand in the creation of Star Wars, so don't climb on the high horse and boast, and judge. We all made a note not to be ******** to you, in order to get answers at your other forum, but you basicly spat in our faces, collectivley, and lost a hell of a lot of good people in the process. Star Wars doesn't deserve leaches like you.

4) Spit.

Now, in other news, it's good to see so many members I wouldn't regularly see here, who are held in such high regards. I hope to get to know alot of you folks more!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 12, 2005, 12:57 AM »
As well you shouldn't Famine, we haunt the same places, and I know what you look like!!! Watch yourself boy. ;) You know the rest!!

Anyhow, I wasn't trying to start anything, just noticing things. And you guys are completely right, we do have plenty of people joining, but how many of those will stay once the movie is over and done with?? Probably not too many. So at the same time this year, let's see who is laughing last?? I'm still at both places though!!!  ;)

Oh and I remember a couple of months ago, getting flamed left and right jsut because I became a mod, even by some of the "longstanding" and "noteworthy" members. So it might be karma boys, coming back to bite ya in the ass!!  ;D

Anyhow although I am a mod over there, I still come here, and most of you all have been welcoming!! And that is the most important part!!!

Oh and dont lock this thread up again, don't want to close minded now do we??? ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 12:59 AM by Lady Jaye »
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1583 on: April 12, 2005, 01:28 AM »
Oh and dont lock this thread up again, don't want to close minded now do we??? ;D

Closeminded?  Nah.  But after 38 or so pages of RS ranting, sometimes we get to a point where we've said our peace and should just let it go and try to discuss some more positive things.  I think we finally got to that point a few days ago, but since Philip wanted to send out even more spam, and then wanted to start deleting threads and telling folks to **** off again, we figured we'd chat about him a little more here...  ;)

Kevin, you have a camera phone?

People like you do not deserve Star Wars, or at least Star Wars deserves better fans than you.

Ironically, I've been thinking of late that Philip doesn't deserve Star Wars anymore either, now that he's changed course so dramatically and uses it primarily as a business venture for himself anymore...  :-\

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 12, 2005, 01:35 AM »
Camera phone?

Huh? ???

Kevin

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 12, 2005, 01:36 AM »
So Philip...

Because you've been called out for being a jerk lately you feel no need to address the real issues?

Digging a deeper hole man...just answer the relevant questions, blow out the flames, and we can all move on.

Please man...you've done nothing to make this situation better.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 12, 2005, 01:44 AM »
Now, everyone needs to keep it down or else Lord Philip will hear us!  Don't you know how important he is?  He created INTERNET and if we don't watch our mouths, he'll ban us all from JD.com too!  He can do that, you know, because he is the most important person in the universe!  We are all just anonymous peons who would say none of this to his face!

[/sarcasm]

I wont do this, but I will bring a can of Spam in my backpack and give it to his ass after I tell him that he doesn't deserve Star Wars.

Kevin

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1587 on: April 12, 2005, 01:47 AM »
I didn't receive that second spam email, since I had myself voluntarily banned.

I kind of wish I'd have gone down in a blaze of glory now. Ah well.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #1588 on: April 12, 2005, 01:47 AM »
I have to disagree with Josh and LJ to an extent here, and again, it all boils down to the quality vs. quantity issue once again.  Yeah, having 50 or so people bail on RS the past couple weeks and heading over here to JD probably won't hurt them too much in the post quantity department, since they're likely gaining many new members right now to "replace" them with, due to the ROTS excitement

I should be clear that I'm not arguing quantity vs. quality.  I don't think anyone is arguing that because they're two different things. What I was saying is that ultimately, this little storm will blow over, and I STILL think it's a shame it ever happened in the first place.  The emails themselves weren't worth it.

As for quality vs. Quantity:
 JD is awesome because of it's quality.  It LACKS quantity, and that's the only thing hurting it.

RS excells in the collecting aspect of things.  Sure, there are some knowledgeable collectors here, but this site can't touch RS classifieds, local SW reports, and general collecting discussion at a rapid pace.   Does that mean every post on the site is quality? Of course not. But that's the beauty of quantity. You have lots of stuff to choose from.  Here you have the same 12 guy's opinions, take them or leave them.  

In the end, Rebelscum is like Wal Mart. It has a lot of everything, and you take the good mixed with the bad.  JD is more like a corner drug store where everyone knows your name and they make an awesome milk shake.  ;D

While I am very sorry a lot of you got banned, I'm happy that I don't have to choose. I like having access to both sites.  Just like I like going to Wal Mart and wading through the hicks for my collecting needs,  then hitting the shop down the corner when I want that milk shake and conversation with the cool folks.  ;D

In a perfect world, there would always be both....and everyone would have access to them.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 01:49 AM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 12, 2005, 01:52 AM »
In the end, Rebelscum is like Wal Mart.

Always low Prices, Always? :P

Kevin