Author Topic: Toy Fair 2015  (Read 21898 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Toy Fair 2015
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18 AM »
I don't think The Ghost will never happen, but I just don't see it this year, personally.  I think the SSG Q&A gives it some hope though, and if the Falcon is the sort of centric hero ship of the new trilogy, like I said before, it's tooled so you could re-release that and maybe a Ghost with it?  I think it's doable.  I think The Phantom was made to clearly dock to a Ghost too, so I think Hasbro wants to do it.  When it comes to big stuff though, and this goes back to the line's beginning, they've always had to fudge ways to do it...  The media support helps though.

With the way the Phantom was designed I would think they at least have a mock-up of the Ghost at this point.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Based on the Phantom's size, does that make the Ghost huge? It seems the Phantom should have been downsized a little.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2015, 03:42 PM »
I think they could still easily make a Ghost work, but the scales would be way off.  I'd be totally fine with that. 

Make it in scale with the old school Falcon.  Have a cockpit, man-able gun ports, a common area, a ramp, and a place for the Phantom to connect.

I would much rather have a cool toy that the kids and I can play with effectively then be too concerned about it not being to scale.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:58 PM by Dave »

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2015, 03:48 PM »
It seems the Phantom should have been downsized a little.
It was. A lot. If it was to scale it would have been a little shorter than a x-wing and the figures would be able to stand up inside it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Yes, the Phantom is VERY undersized...  The Ghost is a pretty huge ship itself.  I'd say a good deal bulkier than the Falcon perhaps (just eyeballing things without either in front of me to be sure).  Keep in mind The Ghost is dual-level...  Not sure if they're much different in diameter, but I'd say The Ghost is probably larger than the Falcon if I were to make a guess on it.

Which would make sense, with it having essentially a little "runabout" shuttle that can dock to it...  The Falcon doesn't have the bulk for something like that.

The Ghost is very similar in style, but larger than the hero ship that was in X-Wing: Alliance, which is significantly smaller than the Falcon.  All YT series Corellian ships (The Ghost is too, iirc).

The Phantom is very akin to a shuttlecraft in Star Trek in that it has a small back cargo area and a relatively spacious cockpit capable of seating at least 2 up front and a 3rd behind them in a sort of jumpseat.  It's no tiny thing.

Hasbro's always managed to fudge designs to work for stuff like that, so I think a dramatically undersized Ghost is doable that would still dock The Phantom nicely without looking too goofy.  I think the play features would be where it's all at.  It wouldn't be high on my radar (I passed on The Phantom already) but I think it'd be a decent toy if done right...  Now, if they cut construction and design corners ala the mid-size vehicles now, Eh, it could look (and feel) a lot more "cheap".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2015, 06:56 PM »
The Ghost is a pretty huge ship itself.  I'd say a good deal bulkier than the Falcon perhaps (just eyeballing things without either in front of me to be sure).  Keep in mind The Ghost is dual-level...  Not sure if they're much different in diameter, but I'd say The Ghost is probably larger than the Falcon if I were to make a guess on it.
These are the dimensions so yes it is much bigger than the Falcon. But they could probably down size it to be about the same size as the BMF without it looking too under scaled.

Ghost
Length    43.9 meters
Width    34.2 meters
Height/depth    14.5 meters

Falcon
Length    34.37 meters
Width    25.61 meters
Height/depth    8.27 meters

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Which would make sense, with it having essentially a little "runabout" shuttle that can dock to it...  The Falcon doesn't have the bulk for something like that.

Go double check your BMF Falcon, right behind the sensor dish!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Speaking of the Falcon, does everyone think that Hasbro is just going to reissue the BMF Falcon for the TFA line?  Albeit with a different sensor dish?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2015, 07:28 PM »

Go double check your BMF Falcon, right behind the sensor dish!   ;D

I was speaking to the "real" one, haha.  The toy, they actually were gonna do one between the mandibles for the vintage line during the mongo-beefhead days.

To Nick's Q, absolutely...  I think it's all but a done deal, personally, if the Falcon plays a remotely important role in the film.  The mold exists, and the holidays will be a comin'.  By the teaser trailer I can't imagine the Falcon is not important in this film...  minor moment, but a hugely cool action one.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:29 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Wasn't the last Falcon pushing $250ish at TRU?  I don't see that pricepoint working for a new movie at $300+ with the new movie and a dish for all to have.  I have a feeling they'll either gut that for another release or add a few things to that stupid WM version.  According the trailer - it's a big deal.

I'd give up on the Ghost too - Nice to see you guys talking about it but TFA willl be coming out soon and if it's not in the movie then...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Wasn't the last Falcon pushing $250ish at TRU?

Yeah, but that one had the small run, exclusive Vintage box, TRU tax applied to it.  If they wide released it and got it out in enough quantity, I bet they could get that price down.

With that said, I am not ashamed to admit, that if they get the updated radar dish on there and update the electronics with new movie phrases, I'll totally buy it again.  Even at $300.   :-[  #suckerforhansolostuff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2015, 09:44 PM »
LOL @ TRUTax.  Trademark that.

I don't have the last one displayed so I wouldn't buy another, but more power to anyone who can and would, personally.

That said, expect a higher price than it originally was of course...  But they're also not aiming for us either.  I'm sure this would be for all the myriad of new souls who'd want a big ass Falcon to voooosh around the house.  I wouldn't doubt we could see the WM one again too, perhaps as a store exclusive?  If the Falcon is the beef, I can't see Hasbro not going that way to support the movie and make $.

I saw it said somewhere just recently, forgetting now, but someone said they'd maybe not make the Falcon because "Collectors already have it"...  I'll never get collector fixation that they're the center of the universe, and be damned the bajillion people who will see TFA as their first Star Wars experience.

The bubble shrinks every year too, so you'd think at some point the guys living in it would look around and notice they're the only ones there.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2015, 09:51 PM »
Wasn't the last Falcon pushing $250ish at TRU?  I don't see that pricepoint working for a new movie at $300+ with the new movie and a dish for all to have.

$274.99 plus tax in Chicago.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Loving the term "TRU Tax".  Never really loved it when it came to actually PAYING it, and as a result there are some big ticket TRU exclusives that I never bought.  TRU can keep those nice looking TVC boxes for the BMF Falcon and BMF AT-AT.

I think I might be in the same boat with Jeff about a TFA version of the BMF Falcon.  Change it *ENOUGH* from the TLC Blue version and I might be persuaded to buy it.  That means the correct sensor dish, updated electronics, or SOME feature that really distinguishes the 2015 release from the original offering from back in 2008.

As for the practicality of the Ghost as a vehicle/playset?  I think it's a foregone conclusion that if Hasbro does produce a Ghost vehicle it's probably not going to be to scale with the BMF Falcon.  Perhaps it would measure up size wise with the vintage Falcon mold in order to be able to dock with the Phantom.  I just don't know if parents of kids who like the REBELS series would be willing to plunk down $150 for a Ghost vehicle.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:41 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Quite frankly, if they want to sell a $250 to $300 toy, one of the best things they could do would be to make the radar dish swappable and let you pick which version you want to display / play with.  At that price point, it would be a small gesture that would probably increase sales.  I'm not terribly interested in a E7 version, but am still loosely in the market for an OT one but have never been able to justify the cost.