Author Topic: G.I. Joe - The Movie (Live Action)  (Read 45327 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe - The Movie (Live Action)
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2009, 12:33 PM »
I'd rather watch the 80's GI Joe than this pile of crap. Also I can save some $$$ & watch it online & turn the crap off when I want too.  :P

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2009, 04:14 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2009, 01:07 AM »
Too bad. This sounds like Street Fighter: the movie.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 6, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I got a chance to see Transformers this weekend, and the Joe trailer was one of the ones attached.  It is hard to say, but judging from our audience, this movie might do pretty well.  Everyone in there seemed impressed with the trailer, and kids in particular (there were three boys sitting nearby) were going nuts during it (and said "coooool" when Duke/Ripcord were in the accelerator suits).  I don't think it is going to be the number one movie of the summer by any means, but it might do pretty well.  The toy line looks decent too, from what I've seen.  I keep hoping that the movie will be better than we've read/heard so far, and I'll likely be seeing it in the first couple weeks of release either way.  I always think that if I heard there was going to be a live action Joe (and Transformers) movie as a kid, we would have been going crazy waiting to see it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 6, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Too bad. This sounds like Street Fighter: the movie.

You know, Street Fighter was written by an excellent writer. I didn't get a chance to read his original version of the script, but I have a good friend who has worked for the company that made the movie since forever and can vouch for how badly they get in there and screw good material up. Having it re-written during the writers strike didn't help either.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 29, 2009, 09:12 PM »
I don't know how much stock to put in it, but Harry Knowles really liked G.I. Joe.  Plenty of SPOILERS in his review, just to warn everyone.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2009, 11:49 PM »
From the Joe QnA's....

JOHIO: 1. The Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen movie is clearly marketed to younger children based on the large number of toys specifically marketed to kids, and the advertisement spots on cartoon channels, yet the movie with its crude sexual humor is extremely inappropriate for our children. Was there any concern about keeping the G.I. Joe movie "family friendly" so we can bring our kids, or should we expect the same level of crude sexual "humor" as T2?

Hasbro: Hasbro encourages parents and caregivers to be involved in all aspects of their children's development, including play and entertainment. The G.I. Joe movie is rated PG-13, ultimately a parent or caregiver knows his or her child best and is best equipped to make decisions on what forms of play and entertainment are most appropriate for his or her child. Being a 45 year old brand, GI Joe has fans of many ages (similar to Transformers) and we hope that the movie will be enjoyable for many age groups. Hasbro encourages parents and caregivers to acknowledge the rating and read reviews ahead of time to determine if it is appropriate for their child to see. We offer many forms of entertainment for kids to enjoy the GI Joe brand such as toys, publishing and apparel in addition to the live action movie - so if a parent decides the their child is too young to see the movie, there are many other ways to engage in the GI Joe fantasy. Many recent PG-13 movies such as Iron Man and Transformers have been able to have both successful movies and great kid toy lines.

Hopefully that means that Joe won't be as stupid at TF2 was for most of you, but I'm sure it will even though that was a half-assed answer by Hasbro.  Still looking forward to wasting my money on seeing it in the theater.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 4, 2009, 01:39 PM »
IGN gave Joe 3.5 stars out of 5.  Anyone heading out to see it this weekend?  I'm hoping to catch it in the next couple of weeks, if possible.  Hoping for the best.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 4, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I'm going to check for a Thursday night opening.  If my theater has one I'm going then otherwise it's going to be a while till I get a chance to see this.

I'd rather see it early and kind of get it over with.   :P

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 4, 2009, 04:24 PM »
From the Joe QnA's....

JOHIO: 1. The Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen movie is clearly marketed to younger children based on the large number of toys specifically marketed to kids, and the advertisement spots on cartoon channels, yet the movie with its crude sexual humor is extremely inappropriate for our children. Was there any concern about keeping the G.I. Joe movie "family friendly" so we can bring our kids, or should we expect the same level of crude sexual "humor" as T2?

Hasbro: Hasbro encourages parents and caregivers to be involved in all aspects of their children's development, including play and entertainment. The G.I. Joe movie is rated PG-13, ultimately a parent or caregiver knows his or her child best and is best equipped to make decisions on what forms of play and entertainment are most appropriate for his or her child. Being a 45 year old brand, GI Joe has fans of many ages (similar to Transformers) and we hope that the movie will be enjoyable for many age groups. Hasbro encourages parents and caregivers to acknowledge the rating and read reviews ahead of time to determine if it is appropriate for their child to see. We offer many forms of entertainment for kids to enjoy the GI Joe brand such as toys, publishing and apparel in addition to the live action movie - so if a parent decides the their child is too young to see the movie, there are many other ways to engage in the GI Joe fantasy. Many recent PG-13 movies such as Iron Man and Transformers have been able to have both successful movies and great kid toy lines.

Hopefully that means that Joe won't be as stupid at TF2 was for most of you, but I'm sure it will even though that was a half-assed answer by Hasbro.  Still looking forward to wasting my money on seeing it in the theater.

In other words, go see it TWICE...once to scout and once to take the kids.

Oh and I plan to go see it as soon as I can.

« Last Edit: August 4, 2009, 04:25 PM by Paul »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 4, 2009, 05:42 PM »
I've got tickets for me and my 9 and 5 year olds to see it on Friday afternoon.  But I am a pretty ****** parent.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 6, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Looking forward to catching the flick on Saturday afternoon with a Dew and a small tub of popcorn.   8)   Suck or unsuck

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 6, 2009, 10:54 PM »
The only thing that could seriously improve this movie for me?  A pillow fight sequence shot in slow motion, featuring the Baroness, Cover Girl and Scarlett.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 6, 2009, 11:22 PM »
At first I was a fanboy, then I read a script treatment and became a hater/closet fanboy, but I just finished the comic book adaptation, and now I'm pure fanboy again.

I haven't been this excited for a movie since Revenge of the Sith.  I'm seeing it tomorrow with my kids, and again on Monday with my brothers.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 6, 2009, 11:56 PM »
Sunday for me.

Really looking forward to this one, the most since ROTS and X-Men.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda