Author Topic: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 182944 times)

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2019, 11:23 AM »
I had signed up for Disney+ several weeks ago and had no issues logging into the site or accessing content like others initially reported.  I wound up streaming it via my laptop connected to my TV, though I may eventually try my TV’s web browser app (even though it tends to be slow).

In any event, I enjoyed the Mandalorian! While the first episode was a bit less “epic” than I was expecting, the show looked and felt like Star Wars and there was a ton of attention to detail that made it seem to fit right with the films and other media. I’m looking forward to seeing how the series progresses.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.  So many Easter eggs (from Star Wars and other Western movies).  Loved seeing a nice mix of new and OT aliens during the episode. 

Definitely agree with you guys that's it's a bit of a slow burn, but I'd guess that's by design like Nick said - build up "who is this guy" for a few episodes. 

Hoping IG-11 comes back, will be surprised if there was so much build-up for a character that turns out to be basically one-and-done.

Looking forward to seeing the next episode and finding out what Werner Herzog wants with that baby...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I was confused by that too Dave. Didn't make much sense and I'm typically ok with letting little things slide for sake of story progression
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Hoping IG-11 comes back, will be surprised if there was so much build-up for a character that turns out to be basically one-and-done.

I'll be interested on this as well. 

It seemed from figures, promo materials, etc. that IG-11 was an important character, but maybe Hasbro only had access to stills and made the figure based on limited info.  Similar to how we got Constable Zuvio and other window dressing from TFA.  But based on the episode I would say there isn't a way IG-11 can come back.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2019, 12:08 PM »
WOW

That was my impression following that debut episode.  It really impressed me.  The references to a variety of movies and animated titles was fantastic.  And I loved the western aesthetic.  Pedro Pascal has clearly listened to some of what Jeremy Bulloch said about playing Boba Fett and the inspiration for how he played the character.  I had heard Jeremy say on multiple occasions that he was inspired by Clint Eastwood's 'Man with no name' in the "Fist full of dollars" and "The good, the bad & the ugly".  I saw plenty of that in the Mandalorian and how he carried himself.

IG-11 was nothing short of fantastic.  I wasn't sure what to expect from Taika Waititi voicing the droid, probably because the voice Korg in Thor Ragnarok was SO distinct.  The characterization of IG-11 was very interesting.  But then I just marveled at the way the droid moved - the precision of the blaster fire, the spinning of the head sensors and the way he walked were all just riveting.  And considering that Dave Filoni directed the episode I was surprised that we would see something new with an IG droid, since Filoni had realized the IG droids in the Clone Wars series ("Downfall of a droid", I think).  Anyhow, I don't think IG-11 is gone for good because there was a clip in one of the TV spots where IG-11 was talking with Cara Dune.  So you have to think that IG-11 will be repaired.

I genuinely liked Nick Nolte's voice work for Kuill the Ugnaught.  The way he spoke was really interesting, especially as he was trying to get the Mandalorian to ride the Blurgg.

The element I'm really interested to see explored more?  Those Mandalorian catacombs!  It's some kind of enclave where a number of Mandos are holed up.  And the story around the armorer and the beskar steel seems like it's going to go in an intriguing direction.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2019, 02:49 PM »

I'll be interested on this as well. 

It seemed from figures, promo materials, etc. that IG-11 was an important character, but maybe Hasbro only had access to stills and made the figure based on limited info.  Similar to how we got Constable Zuvio and other window dressing from TFA.  But based on the episode I would say there isn't a way IG-11 can come back.

I want to see IG-11 appear in nearly every episode, and the Mandalorian shoots him in every episode!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2019, 03:08 PM »
I want to see IG-11 appear in nearly every episode, and the Mandalorian shoots him in every episode!

Oh my God!  He killed Iggy!  You bastard!

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2019, 04:25 PM »
It took some time, but I was able to cast through my phone to a chromecast plugged into my Vizio TV. Some people are stating this isnt possible.

Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2019, 05:47 PM »
It took some time, but I was able to cast through my phone to a chromecast plugged into my Vizio TV. Some people are stating this isnt possible.

I have two Chromecast Ultras in my house and used them both last night at different times to stream from my phone and iPad.  No issues whatsoever.   Not sure if there would be a difference in the streaming comparability between standard Chromecast and the Ultra, or different generations of the product.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2019, 06:22 PM »
I’ve had no issues at all getting in and streaming to my phone or laptop.  I wonder what causes major issues for one person while another has no problem at all?  I’ve been on later and earlier both and didn’t experience even slower speeds or something. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2019, 11:02 PM »
I'm digging IG-11. Never imagined he'd be spinning his head and rotating his body 180 while firing. Loved the comic relief of going into self-destruct mode but also showing his actions are still very much guided by his programming. (Something about his manual.)

Previews showed a very bad-ass bounty hunter. Then we see him struggling with the blurg and basically play second fiddle to IG-11. A lot more compelling than a one-dimensional super human.

Interesting that he was told to bring back his bounty alive, but dead (with proof) was acceptable for a smaller reward. Yet IG-11 said he was told to terminate. I wonder if he was being tested. And why?

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2019, 08:52 AM »
Interesting that he was told to bring back his bounty alive, but dead (with proof) was acceptable for a smaller reward. Yet IG-11 said he was told to terminate. I wonder if he was being tested. And why?

Could be competing factions that want different things that both put out bounties.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I've heard a name speculated on for the species of the "bounty".  While the species name has always been a mystery, some people think that this could be one of the Whills.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I read about an Easter egg of sorts concerning Dr. Pershing and the sigils on the arms of his uniform matching those of the clone trainees on Kamino. Wonder what the connection is?

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2019, 09:55 AM »
I had read that as well. I'm hoping for a "wants to clone" over "is a clone" storyline if that's where they're going
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:56 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within