Author Topic: A Customizing Community Event  (Read 4780 times)

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
A Customizing Community Event
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:54 AM »
First, the evolution of a community project:

- pics & works by p3n, Dsdude9,  & DarthKozy

- pics & works by Jedi Master Ben (JMB)

The pics above are a prime example of what makes us customizers an awesome group of folks. We have a sense of community. There are many of us who want to make the Elite 41st trooper the right way (since Hasbro screwed it up). And many of us just cant sculpt to save our lives. So we decided to do something about it.

From an idea, we got invaluable input from several customizers on the parts to be used & the way they would fit together. And once JMB committed to this project, all the necessary figures & parts were sent to JMB for casting within a 14 day period. Two weeks after the discussion started, the project is now getting ready to be cast as a kit & put up for sale to whom ever wants one.

Unfortunately, getting a chance to meet up with the folks we know from the boards is an all-too-rare occurrence. So, in order to foster an even better sense of community, the folks at GoodToGo Custom's forums have set up a recurring Special Chat session. The Special Chats will give everyone a chance to meet & talk live with some of our on line friends about how they customize & what the hobby means to them.

The inaugural 'Chat will be held tomorrow, Wednesday, March 28, 2007 at 9 pm (eastern)/ 8 pm (central) at  GTG's chat room.  For the idea's maiden voyage, we'll be talking to Jedi Master Ben. He's one of the very talented sculptors from this community whose work helps all of our custom's boards become amazing places to visit - and has recently become one of GTG's sculptors - so that dosen't hurt either ;).

And to start everyone off, GTG has a Q&A thread to give us all a glimpse into Ben's life, mind & love of customizing. Here's a chunk of what we've gotten him to agree to so far  ;D :

Quote from: crowncoke

Job: Broadcast Engineer for Georgia Southern University

Dream Job: Sculpting toys (Doing it right now)

Favorite Movie: Star Wars: ROTS. I love the Clone Wars story arcs in the comics and to see even a glimpse of it in the movies as awesome. And of course, the finial dual between Vader and Obi Wan was fanominal.

Favorite Activity: Day dreaming. I love to sit back and come up with new project and ways to make the community better.

Music you listen to (examples): I listen to some wierd stuff when I sculpt. It depends on the mood mostly. I like Enya in the envings, movie soundtracks (like Pirates of the Carabian, Doctor Who, ect) amd during the day I like metal stuff like Matalica, Disturb, Rob Zombie. And sometimes I tune into Jack FM for the '80s and '90s music.

Favorite custom you did:
That is a hard one, seeing that they are all my favorites. But if I had to narrow it down, it would be my first attempt at sculpting. It was the head of Djas Puhr. After I was done with it and painted it, my wife said she could not tell the differnce if it was a store bought piece or a sculpted piece. I knew at that point, this was my calling.

The person you would most like to make into a custom (Celeb/family/Co-worker): Man thats a tough one. I don't really have an answer for that one. If I had to choose something off hand, I guess it would be My Dad, from an image of him back in his Air Force days.

I hope you all will take a moment to check out the rest of Ben's answers, sign up for the 'Chat there, & get in on this session.

Dsdude9,  DarthKozy, K1, Crowncoke & Jedi Master Ben - thanks for comming together on this one guys.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:59 AM by PenDragon »

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: A Customizing Community Event
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:01 AM »
It's a Phenomenon!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:25 AM by Ruprecht »

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:09 AM »
I got a little excited there.... ;D

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 11:34 AM »
You know, I always suspected that Jedi Master Ben was really John Travolta, and you've just confirmed it!

As long as Jedi Master Travolta doesn't start talking about Xenu and how good it is to boink Kelly Preston when we all can't, I'm there.