Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 250076 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #900 on: April 29, 2019, 11:17 AM »
I was kinda hoping there were multiple layers of defense that would have been put in place within the castle.  I didn't read the books, but there have been multiple references to the impenetrability of Winterfell in the show.  I was kind of hoping for ballistas, crossbows, archers in high towers, flaming oil to repel wall attacks, etc. that would have held longer, and then defeated by the zombie dragon or whatever.  Ultimately it was just one gate, one wall, and that was about it.

I guess it doesn't really matter as the storyline was about killing the night king inside the walls by Arya's ninja skills and having a longer drawn out battle wouldn't have served any purpose.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 29, 2019, 04:25 PM »
A few questions I had from last night's episode:
- Anybody have any speculation as to what Bran was doing with the ravens?
- I couldn't exactly follow all the visuals, but the one that kept coming back to me as maybe important was with John riding on his dragon there were images of a tree line that seemed to show troops moving in a line.  I couldn't tell if this was troops coming to battle or moving south.  Or maybe I just couldn't tell what was going on in the images.

What he saw was all the White Walkers hanging back by the tree line. He was moving towards them to fry them all when that apocalyptic storm blew up out of nowhere.

I agree Bran's initial thing with the ravens was to draw out the Night King, but he was warging for a looong time. Even after NK was already on the scene. I was wondering what else he might have been doing too. Hmmm.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 29, 2019, 05:23 PM »
I had a 6 year old who just would not go to sleep last night, so I watched most of the episode thanks to a day off and the DVR this morning...

...and then went to see Avengers - Endgame.  I saw about 1 hour of "The Long Night" and then Endgame.  And I paused it just as Sansa and Tyrion were hiding behind the on crypt and drew their dragonglass daggers to go the theater for Avengers.  Then I came home and saw the rest of the GoT episode.  Talk about an emotionally exhausting day!!!!

I was a little surprised to see Melisandre reappear.  But then this was what she had been foreseeing, wasn't it?  When you have a chance watch the episode on HBO On Demand and watch the After the Episode segment with David and DB.  The way they broke down the episode distilled the entire experience.

The army of the dead was like nothing we've seen.  The looming threat of that darkness was nothing short of insidious.  Especially when the Dothraki made their charge with their flaming Arakh's.  That was amazing to see, but it was startling to see how quickly those hopes were dashed.

Bran spending so much time warging was puzzling.  And I wonder what he might have been doing, too.  But it also seemed like the Night King was warging, too, as he commanded the dead to lay down across the fire trench so they could bridge it and reach the walls of Winterfell.

It was difficult to see who was left standing following the battle.  I can think of at least 6 significant characters who died:  ****SPOILER TEXT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET**** Beric Dondarrion, Theon Greyjoy, Dolorous Edd Tollett, Ser Jorah Mormont, Lyanna Mormont and Melisandre.  The one who I was left hoping would make it out?  Podrick Payne.  I don't know why, but that guy has grown on me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #903 on: April 29, 2019, 10:44 PM »
The army of the dead was like nothing we've seen. 

Actually, no one rally saw it.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 6, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Still nowhere near Joffrey or Ramsey level, but they are really succeeding in making people hate Euron. I'm not sure there is a death horrible or torturous enough for that stupid asswipe now.

Also, not buying the Dany heel swerve after spending so many seasons showing us over and over what a good person she was. You cant undo all that in the space of a few episodes.

Given that I have always assumed Jamie would kill Cersei, and the Hound will kill the Mountain, I have to wonder WTF Arya is going to end up killing down there. Qyburn maybe?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 6, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Also, not buying the Dany heel swerve after spending so many seasons showing us over and over what a good person she was. You cant undo all that in the space of a few episodes.
I dunno...  It is plausible.  The thing this show does best is turn your opinions on characters.   

Given that I have always assumed Jamie would kill Cersei, and the Hound will kill the Mountain, I have to wonder WTF Arya is going to end up killing down there. Qyburn maybe?
My guess is that after they take down Cersei, it will be Dany vs. Jon.  Then at the very end Sansa will make her play and Arya will be the one to stop her.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 6, 2019, 10:53 AM »
I agree that Daenerys is going Mad Queen a little quickly, but they've sown the seeds for this throughout the season.  She really is starting to talk like Viserys now though.

I can't see Arya killing Cersei....it will be Jaimie...similar to what he did to kill the mad king.

I like how they wrote Gilly's real life pregnancy into the show.  I'm guessing Sam is taking Gilly home to be the head of house Tarly?  No need for the Night's watch anymore.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 6, 2019, 11:35 AM »
I'm thinking Jamie takes out Cirsei, and either Arya or Tyrion take out Dany. 

Somehow Euron is going to have a sweet death too - I'm just not sure how or who is going to be the one.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 6, 2019, 04:17 PM »
I'm thinking Jamie takes out Cirsei, and either Arya or Tyrion take out Dany. 

Somehow Euron is going to have a sweet death too - I'm just not sure how or who is going to be the one.

I agree that Tyrion will probably have to take out Daenerys...but Varys is going to die trying.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 6, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Arya's kill list is pretty short these days, although it really hasn't been mentioned in awhile:
- Cersei - somebody will kill her, although I think it will be Jamie.
- The Hound - somehow I think he survives and/or I don't think Arya kills him.
- Ilyn Payne - the executioner of Ned Stark - I think Arya takes him out in the next episode where she is shown within King's Landing.
- The Mountain - I don't think Arya takes him out.  My guess is The Hound gets to take him out and maybe dies in the process.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #910 on: May 7, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Ilyn Payne is still around?  Seems like we haven't seen him in 3 or 4 seasons.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 7, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Ilyn Payne is still around?  Seems like we haven't seen him in 3 or 4 seasons.

The actor, Wilko Johnson, was diagnosed with (what was believed to be) terminal cancer around 2012 and was effectively written out of the series following the second season.  The only notable function that Ilyn Payne served in the books was as a sparring partner, as Jaime Lannister trained to sword fight using his left hand after he had lost his right hand.  Johnson seems to have beaten the odds and may be in remission.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2019, 08:40 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #912 on: May 7, 2019, 12:01 PM »
Quick search - Wikipedia says his cancer was misdiagnosed.  He had a more treatable form which they removed surgically after discovering the error. 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 7, 2019, 01:54 PM »
That's good news.

As far as the show....I bet she guts Qyburn.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 12, 2019, 11:01 PM »
Incredible!  :D

#Cleganening