Author Topic: 2024 TVC Wave 2 (New TVC Wave 34) [Fan Channel]  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2024 TVC Wave 2 (New TVC Wave 34) [Fan Channel]
« on: October 30, 2023, 10:24 AM »
Starting up a thread for this wave...  Reminder that this wave is intended for specialty shops and is "Fan Channel" (meaning no Target or Walmart). 

Also, this wave has a weird "case pack of 4".  Not sure if that is related to the "fan channel" nature of this wave or if this is a sign of things to come for the TVC basic figures?

- 2024 VC130 Captain Cassian Andor {photo-real repaint w/new cardback}
 - 2024 VCxxx Finn (Starkiller Base) {photo-real repaint; 1st time on TVC card}
 - 2024 VCxxx Phase I Clone Trooper {VC269 clone sculpt with a Phase I helmet}
 - 2024 VCxxx Count Dooku {all-new!}

You can order the full case of 4 at EE here -> https://ee.toys/ISADPG #sponsoredlink

And the individual pre-order links:

2024 VC130 Captain Cassian Andor
- Amazon -> https://amzn.to/3tLKdMJ #sponsoredlink
- EE -> https://ee.toys/ISADPG #sponsoredlink

2024 VCxxx Finn (Starkiller Base) {photo-real repaint w/new cardback}
- Amazon -> https://amzn.to/49caap9 #sponsoredlink
- EE -> https://ee.toys/5A187C #sponsoredlink

2024 VCxxx Phase I Clone Trooper
- Amazon -> https://amzn.to/3QDMS4k #sponsoredlink
- EE -> https://ee.toys/JB56AS #sponsoredlink

2024 VCxxx Count Dooku
- Amazon -> https://amzn.to/3QedJCB #sponsoredlink
- EE -> https://ee.toys/T4T3UP #sponsoredlink
« Last Edit: April 1, 2024, 02:51 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2024 TVC Wave 3 (New TVC Wave 35)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 01:33 PM »
I ended up pre-ordering 1x Dooku and 2x of the new Phase I Clone Trooper.  Just can't bring myself to spend $17 to upgrade Finn or Cassian (the first issue VC130 was enough of an improvement from the 2015 Walmart figure for me).

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 02:52 PM »
Thanks for the links! I grabbed 3 Dooku, 8 Clones and 1 Cassian...I've actually been wanting an upgrade to his face apps, so I figured I should put my money where my mouth is. I'll use the extra Cassians I have to make custom rebels.

Do you get referral credit now or when the orders ship?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 03:55 PM »
I'll use the extra Cassians I have to make custom rebels.

Yeah, that is the nice thing about that figure.  If you do upgrade, the old one is a great base for customs.  You can toss his head on the new Imp body for a custom Scariff Disguise figure and then use the body for a general Yavin IV Rebel Officer figure.

We get paid 30 days after things ship.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 04:21 PM »
Did anyone else notice that (I think) every figure announcement for TVC and Black Series are listed as either fan channel or Pulse/Shop Disney exclusives? I don’t recall seeing that before, for every release. Not that many actually are able to collect everything at retail these days, but I wonder if that means anything for the makeup of waves that go to retail (or if that is lessening).

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 04:34 PM »
Thanks for the links! I grabbed 3 Dooku, 8 Clones and 1 Cassian...I've actually been wanting an upgrade to his face apps, so I figured I should put my money where my mouth is. I'll use the extra Cassians I have to make custom rebels.

I was similar and grabbed 13 Clones, 3 Dookus, 2 Cassians, & 2 Finns. I'm happy with the new Dooku, even though I always liked the older Sith Evolutions version, and somehow am not entirely Cloned-out yet.

Finn is the only one in the lot I wasn't particularly thrilled with and may cancel later.
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 04:36 PM »
Did anyone else notice that (I think) every figure announcement for TVC and Black Series are listed as either fan channel or Pulse/Shop Disney exclusives? I don’t recall seeing that before, for every release.

They have done "fan channel" waves before so it's not new.  In fact, at this same London MCM panel/show last year was when Hasbro announced the "fan channel only" wave of Jabba Goons repacks - Yakface, Kithaba, Nikto, Wooof. 

It could be a portent of things to come in the basic figure line that these are all "fan channel" or it could just be the result of these being announced at a European convention where the notion of "retail" is markedly different than here in the USA.  Maybe they just picked all fan channel things to reveal based on the audience/location of the show?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 01:46 AM »
Did anyone else notice that (I think) every figure announcement for TVC and Black Series are listed as either fan channel or Pulse/Shop Disney exclusives? I don’t recall seeing that before, for every release.

They have done "fan channel" waves before so it's not new.  In fact, at this same London MCM panel/show last year was when Hasbro announced the "fan channel only" wave of Jabba Goons repacks - Yakface, Kithaba, Nikto, Wooof. 

It could be a portent of things to come in the basic figure line that these are all "fan channel" or it could just be the result of these being announced at a European convention where the notion of "retail" is markedly different than here in the USA.  Maybe they just picked all fan channel things to reveal based on the audience/location of the show?

If I remember correctly, I think most of these "Fan Channel" waves have been primarily repacks/repaints (which aside from Dooku and the clone is the case here).

Does that sound right?
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 10:03 AM »
If I remember correctly, I think most of these "Fan Channel" waves have been primarily repacks/repaints

Yeah, for the most part the 'fan channel' waves have been photo-real repaints or straight repack waves.

I guess we should also note that in the past the "fan channel only" waves have made it to Target/Walmart because despite being tagged as "fan channel" by Hasbro, they used the same assortment number as the regular figures.  That is again the case here.  These figures all have assortment #F6878, which is the same assortment number for the Bunker Han/Weequay wave, the Jerjerrod/Tusken Fett wave, and the Krennic/Chopper wave. 

This whole fan channel thing could be nothing or it could be a sign that Target/Walmart don't want this stuff anymore.  There is good and bad in that.  I get 90% of my stuff from Pulse/Amazon so it's not going to change my habits as all.  BUT, without big retail, we may miss out on some exclusives or bigger things.  I guess we all just need patience to see how this plays out.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 11:09 AM »
Yeah I didn’t think of the fact these were revealed overseas, that might have had something to do with it. I knew that we have had fan channel/repack waves before, it just caught my eye that these and all of the Black Series reveals were listed as fan channel or Pulse/Disney exclusives (even the ROTS Palpy, which I think would be considered at least new-ish), and I think maybe even Anakin and Palme? I’d have to go look at the slides again. Probably nothing, just that in combo with what Star Wars sections look like around here, I was wondering if we would start seeing less or disappear eventually.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:12 AM by Brian »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2023, 08:04 AM »
Overall?  I think the reveals are a mixed bag.  I am very excited about Count Dooku.  He has not been in the line in a long time, and I think that the updates look good.  Having him on a TVC card is really cool, and I like the artwork.  And I'm hoping that Dooku sells well, because if he does I hope that would motivate Hasbro to take on him from Tales of the Jedi.  One of those 2-packs with Jedi Master Dooku and Yaddle would be tremendous!

The Clone Trooper looks reasonably good, but that's because of the body.  The helmet looks a little bit deformed, and I think Hasbro really needs to go with the swappable heads here.  I think they can get away with the removable helmet with a bald character, but it seems problematic with almost everyone else.  Finn looks about as good as that figure can be.  I had hoped that Hasbro might present him with the lightsaber when he fought Kylo Ren in TFA, but that wasn't meant to be.  As for Cassian Andor?  The figure looks good, and the photo real paint apps make a big difference.  But Hasbro's inability to judge the market seems problematic since its quite easy to get a hold of both the 3.75" Black Series and TVC releases.  Could this version of Cassian be relevant to season 2 of ANDOR?  Potentially, since I've heard Tony Gilroy state that ideally season 2 will end with Cassian getting on his ship to begin the adventure that unfolds in ROGUE ONE.

The Fan Channel only thing really struck me from all of these reveals.  Target and Walmart both hold tremendous sway over the way Hasbro operates because of their buying power.  I don't think Hasbro is checking out on brick and mortar retail stores.  And that's because Hasbro got Target to buy in on the Mandalorian N-1 starfighter.  You don't stock 3 or 4 x $130+ toys on prime shelf space if you're considering diminishing the relationship.  But I do think that Hasbro is mindful of what collectors are asking for and are trying to steer those things to fan channel retailers.  The puzzling part of that is why Hasbro would put Cassian and Finn there in light of the response to those announcements.  However, I think it's very likely that the ANH wave with Vader, the Stormtrooper reissues, X-Wing Pilot Luke, R2-D2 and the new TVC Leia are likely to be very present at brick & mortar retail.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 1, 2023, 11:55 AM »
I am very excited about Count Dooku.  He has not been in the line in a long time, and I think that the updates look good.  Having him on a TVC card is really cool, and I like the artwork.  And I'm hoping that Dooku sells well, because if he does I hope that would motivate Hasbro to take on him from Tales of the Jedi.  One of those 2-packs with Jedi Master Dooku and Yaddle would be tremendous!

I guess I'd agree that at least Dooku is the most interesting thing out of what the showed... but (and I know I'm an outlier here compared to the whole of people who collect this stuff) I have no fewer than 13 Dooku figures already.

I don't need 14th when there are so many other characters who need to be made... no matter how nice it looks.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2023, 12:04 PM »
I am very excited about Count Dooku.  He has not been in the line in a long time, and I think that the updates look good.  Having him on a TVC card is really cool, and I like the artwork.  And I'm hoping that Dooku sells well, because if he does I hope that would motivate Hasbro to take on him from Tales of the Jedi.  One of those 2-packs with Jedi Master Dooku and Yaddle would be tremendous!

I guess I'd agree that at least Dooku is the most interesting thing out of what the showed... but (and I know I'm an outlier here compared to the whole of people who collect this stuff) I have no fewer than 13 Dooku figures already.

I don't need 14th when there are so many other characters who need to be made... no matter how nice it looks.

I'm with you Rob.  I get it if they're just cashing checks with easy kitbashes, repaints, photo-real paintjob upgrades, etc.  Lazy cash grab.

For the life of me I can't understand why they would devote new sculpting resources to a *insert figure here* that we've already got piles of like Dooku.  If they're going to do a new sculpt, why wouldn't they do something new, and relevant in this decade?  Something new from Andor?  Something new from Rogue One?  Something new from the sequel trilogy?

I love our rank order wishlist stuff, but if I'm being honest, I don't need another figure from the OT or PT.  Even an all new one.  Ever. 

I'm probably an outlier too with you Rob.  Just give me something all new.  Not a new version of something I already have.  Something actually all new.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2023, 01:12 PM »
I agree that Hasbro has covered Count Dooku extensively.  But the last time Hasbro touched on the figure in a live action form in the 3.75" figure line was 12 years ago.  The Black Series version that came out a couple of years ago put the likenesses of all of those figures to shame because it actually looked like Christopher Lee.  And some of the figures from 2002 really look like trash.  Add in the modern paint apps and articulation?  I think Count Dooku deserves that kind of presentation.

As for relevance?  I disagree there.  Because Dooku is an important character in Clone Wars, which has proven to have some long legs in terms of coming back for season 6 on Netflix and then season 7 on Disney+.  And then Dooku was a focal point in Tales Of The Jedi.  Most recently he factored in somewhat to the long and complicated lineage of Jedi that would end with Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano -  Baylan Skoll mentioned that as a significant plot point in the AHSOKA series.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2023, 01:14 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: November 1, 2023, 01:19 PM »
All of us here, in this antiquated forum, are the outliers. 

Why Dooku?  Because he won a fan choice poll over on Instagram.

Instagram seems to be Hasbro's go-to source for "what do the fans want" these days.  Try as I might, Hasbro doesn't really care about us "forum folks" anymore.