Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87425 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 6, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Last week we picked up the Lady and the Tramp: Platinum Edition.  This week, its going to be the "deluxe 2 disc" verson of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  Looking forward to watching that one again.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 7, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Best Buy only had a small number of copies of the Jarhead 2-disc and the Movie Trading Company didn't have any - I'm wondering if it's not going to be another situation like the Batman Begins 2-disc that got so tough to find...

Oh, and it was $32.99.   >:(

Edit:  Amazon.com has it for $27.98 - with free shipping.  So I ordered one from there, about $7.00 less after tax.

Here's the final load...

« Last Edit: March 7, 2006, 03:52 PM by Rob »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Harry Potter?
« Reply #182 on: March 7, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I know Harry Potter has been incredibly popular over the years, so I'm curious to know if there's anyone out there that hasn't enjoyed them.  I ask this because I've yet to see a single one and wonder if I should bother.  Are the movies good because they're enjoyable, or are they just "cool" because they're Harry Potter?  (Does that make any sense?)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 7, 2006, 04:03 PM »
I've personally never read any of the books (although I plan to start in the next month or two), and I've really enjoyed every one of the movies.  I guess it depends on the person, but I really thought the movies were great.  Just my opinion...but a point of view from someone who knew next to nothing about the characters/books prior to seeing the movies.  Goblet of Fire was actually the first movie we were able to make it to in the theatre, and we plan on going to all the rest as they come out as well.  I think the movies are good, but that's just one opinion.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2006, 04:03 PM by Brian »

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 7, 2006, 04:40 PM »
Love the books, not too high on the movies.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 7, 2006, 05:57 PM »
The books are better than the movies, but the movies are great - particularly the last two.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 7, 2006, 11:14 PM »
I loathed "Prisoner of Azkaban", namely because of the gimmick, more or less replaying the first half of the movie in the second half. That, and Cueron's "dark" direction didn't really work, IMO.

Loved "Goblet of Fire", thought it was the best yet. I opted for Target's exclusive lenticular cover.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 7, 2006, 11:39 PM »
I picked up the new Harry Potter as well. I was surprised they weren't on sale.

I loved the books, felt the first two films were good and the last two were outstanding. Azkaban is the best, Cueron really got Harry Potter. I wish he was doing the fifth one because it's the pivotal year of Harry's inner struggle and Cueron is a master at teenage angst.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 8, 2006, 12:13 AM »
I never read the books or watched the movies. I picked up the 3 dvds over the holidays 'cause they were like $6 each at Target. Absolutely entertaining.

I went for the regular edition of "Goblets" today. I usually watch the 2nd disc extras only once, so $9 more on the SE wasn't worth it to me.  Hopefully Netflix carries the SE.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 8, 2006, 07:45 AM »
Whats with the pricing this time around?  The first three movies were priced roughly $15 when they were first released.  And these were all 2-disc versions.  Goblet of Fire 2-disc this time around was $20+ everywhere I checked yesterday, and the single disc was $15 ???

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 8, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Whats with the pricing this time around?  The first three movies were priced roughly $15 when they were first released.  And these were all 2-disc versions.  Goblet of Fire 2-disc this time around was $20+ everywhere I checked yesterday, and the single disc was $15 ???

This is becoming a growing trend with DVD releases.  A one-disc version is dropped at the price we're used to seeing (around $15) during the first week of release.  They also offer a two-disc "extended" version, but it's now at a higher cost.  For those of us that want the extra disc and have come to expect it, this really sucks.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 8, 2006, 10:28 AM »
Yeah, this new trend of seperate 1 and 2 disc releases does kind of stink.  I opted for the 2 disc set for HP, and I think it ran me just a little under $23.  I'll pay the extra for the "bonus materials" on certain movies (SW, LOTR, HP, comic book movies, etc.), but not on everything.  If this becomes a trend across all DVDs, I'll definitely be more selective.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 8, 2006, 10:29 AM »
and Cueron's "dark" direction didn't really work, IMO.

Funny, that's why from a filmmaking standpoint I think #3 was the best of the bunch so far.  It was more serious than the first two and you didn't have to be a little kid to get into it as much.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 8, 2006, 11:10 AM »
Quick question:  What exactly does the second disk from Harry Potter cover?  I got "scene it" as a bonus to buying the regular one-disk edition of Harry Potter IV but I don't own the game so it's rather a wash.  Should I go back and get the 2-disk version?  All I really want to see is the cut scenes and the regular movie. 

Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 8, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I'll leave "Jarhead" for you guys. Movies about going to war and not fighting, focusing on the maritial infidelity of soldiers ain't worth watching twice, IMO.  :P

There was about 3 minutes worth of marital infidelity in that movie IIRC.  I wouldn't suggest it's a focal point.

This is becoming a growing trend with DVD releases. A one-disc version is dropped at the price we're used to seeing (around $15) during the first week of release. They also offer a two-disc "extended" version, but it's now at a higher cost. For those of us that want the extra disc and have come to expect it, this really sucks.

It's even more annoying here: regular retail on two disc sets used to be $24.99 but you could pick them up for $19.99 on the first day.  Now the single disc sets are $19.99 the first day, jumping to $24.99 after that day and the two disc sets run around $27+ >:( 

I'm really annoyed by that kind of price increase.  I wouldn't mind if I was paying a little extra on the first day for the two disc set, but nearly $10 more? 

This is why I'm buying more and more used discs from Blockbuster down the road and simply waiting to buy.  I saw Goblet in the theater and I wasn't dying to see it again, but my daughter wanted to.  Otherwise I could have waited a couple of months and picked it up for $9.99.  Yeah, it's used and has no insert, but gosh, my brand new single disc had no insert either ::)  Plus Blockbuster has a 30 day guarantee, so whenever I buy there I just take the disc home, inspect it for scratches, play it through and if there are any issues take it back for another copy. 

I don't like the trend at all.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.