Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350551 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1245 on: February 28, 2011, 11:32 AM »
So, anyone want to make any guesses on the box office winners for 2011?  Just for reference, here was the top 5 (domestically) for 2010:

1. Toy Story 3
2. Alice in Wonderland
3. Iron Man 2
4. Twilight Saga: Eclipse
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

As for 2011, although I'm sure there are good/entertaining movies that I'll miss here - but the biggest money makers tend to come from the May-July or Nov/Dec timeframe.  Like I said though, there's always good stuff elsewhere too.  Here's a list of some contenders for this year:

Thor (May)
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (May)
The Hangover Part 2 (May)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (May)
X-Men: First Class (June)
Super 8 (June)
Green Lantern (June)
Cars 2 (June)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (July)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (July)
Captain America: The First Avenger (July)
Cowboys and Aliens (July)
Happy Feet 2 (Nov)
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (Nov)
The Muppets (Nov)
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Dec)
Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn (Dec)

Kind of a tough year to predict I think, although I'm sure Harry Potter and Transformers 3 will both do very well.  The comic movies are tougher to judge, as I think no matter how good they are, neither Cap or Thor will probably do Iron Man numbers - but you never know.  I'm looking forward to both, and hope they both do well.  X-Men: First Class may suffer without many name characters or Hugh Jackman, and Green Lantern could go either way (although I think it will probably do well).  I think movies like Pirates and Twilight will always do good numbers too.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 1, 2011, 01:21 AM »
Looking at the list of the top 5, I had them all picked but my order was a little whacked.  I picked Potter, AiW, TS3, IM2 and Twilight in that order.

I think I overestimated Potter for two reasons; one, I thought it was supposed to release in 3D at the time I made my list and two, I think people held out for the final part of the 2-parter.  The 3D bump in box office probably would have at least pushed it higher than Twilight.  I also think that some people just decided to skip it, wait for the DVD and then watch it right before seeing part 2 this July. 

I was also shocked by Toy Story 3, that I couldn't have predicted.  Inception was a dark horse also, I really didn't have that much interest in seeing it, but did on DVD and really liked it.  That one kind of came out of nowhere.

I haven't dug much past September other than what I see Brian listed so maybe I'm missing something but I generally think the top five films for 2011, in no particular order, will be:

Harry Potter
Transformers 3
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn
Cars 2
Pirates of the Caribbean

Twilight could suffer a fate similar to Potter last year but each film has done better than the previous one so it may be fine.  Potter should blow up the box office since it's the final film.  TF3 is the 800lb gorilla on the list but a backlash from TF2 may hurt it, as will the lack of Megan Fox because, let's face it, her twin assets were a big draw for the last two films.  Cars was big five years ago and it's now a billion dollar toy property, this should easily clear $300 million if not $400 like Toy Story 3.  Pirates is another film that will have to come way back from the suckfest of the its previous two releases, but without the stale and crumbling storyline of Will and Elizabeth dragging it down, I'm expecting good things (Ian McShane!!!).

The comic book movies could go either way very quickly.  Thor and Captain America have the biggest load to carry, if they drop with really good stories and word of mouth is good they should be okay, but I don't know if they can do Iron Man numbers.  Nobody knows Hemsworth and Portman, even with a freshly minted Oscar, won't necessarily be a huge draw, and while Chris Evans is excellent I still think it'll be a harder sell than RDJ.  X-Men: FC looks like it might be okay, but after the hard core comic geeks drop out after the first two weekends, I see it fading quickly.  Green Lantern?  Not building to anything like the Thor and CA movies, and even with the better exposure due to Blackest Night, I don't know how popular it'll be.  I don't see it doing Batman/Dark Knight money.

The Hangover 2 is a huge wild card.  I'm sure it's going to make huge bank on opening weekend, but if it's just a rerun of the first film, word of mouth will probably tank it quickly.  If it's at least equally as good as the first film then it could do interesting things.  We just have to see.

Films that I think have a chance to do interesting things; The Adjustment Bureau, Sucker Punch, Fast Five and Super 8.  I don't think any of them are realistic contenders for top five, but should do well.

Super 8 may end up being more of a Cloverfield type film; mediocre box office but cult hit on BD/DVD release. Adjustment Bureau may be too much like Inception but Matt Damon is a huge star so we'll see.  Sucker Punch; five hot broads kicking the **** out of robots, dragons, Samurai and Nazi-looking bad guys? **** yeah.

Vin Diesel + The Rock = Money.  Laugh if you will, but Fast Five should do well, but probably not top 5...still, I wouldn't put $200M out of reach if there's a little story to go along with the muscle.

I think Cowboys & Aliens is a non-starter.  Good opening weekend then it'll probably fall out.  A couple other films I think look really good, but aren't headed for the top 5 money makers this year; Red Riding Hood, Battle: Los Angeles, and Conan the Barbarian...but I fall squarely into the target audience, at least for B:LA & Conan.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 3, 2011, 07:11 PM »
for those like myself who haven't seen anything about this till yesterday behold AWSOMENESS

http://suckerpunchmovie.warnerbros.com/#/video
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1248 on: March 3, 2011, 07:32 PM »
I read that initial screenings of Sucker Punch went over so poorly that Zack Snyder might lose his job directing Superman...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 3, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I read that initial screenings of Sucker Punch went over so poorly that Zack Snyder might lose his job directing Superman...

****.  That's ****** up.  I wonder where the film fell apart, because the trailer looks awesome.  Got a link for this story?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1250 on: March 3, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I read that he lost "Xerxes (the sequel to 300) due to Suckerpunch suckage so that he could focus on Superman and avoid making that suck.  Of course, that was a while ago, so maybe losing Superman is the next step to the Xerxes rumor...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 3, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I don't know. Suckerpunch looks like a glorified video game. It's just another over the top alternate reality CGI comic book.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 3, 2011, 10:04 PM »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 3, 2011, 10:22 PM »
If they're going to do it, do it with style like they did with the TV Movie sequel to Gone With The Wind.   ::)
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1254 on: March 3, 2011, 10:42 PM »
New Blade Runner movies without Harrison Ford = suck.

New Blade Runner movies causing toys to finally be made for the original?  That would take the sting out a little bit... 

Oh how I'd love a really nice 3.75" Harrison Ford Deckard and Police Spinner to go with my Han and Indy figures.  All that would be left at that point would be Witness figures.   :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 3, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Your collection still wouldn't be complete without a complete set of Working Girl figures.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1256 on: March 3, 2011, 11:28 PM »
New Blade Runner movies without Harrison Ford = suck.

New Blade Runner movies causing toys to finally be made for the original?  That would take the sting out a little bit... 

Oh how I'd love a really nice 3.75" Harrison Ford Deckard and Police Spinner to go with my Han and Indy figures.  All that would be left at that point would be Witness figures.   :D

Yeah, that about sums it up for me, though I'm not a HUGE Bladerunner guy...  But yeah, figures of it?  I'm in.  I'm totally in so long as the scales mesh.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 3, 2011, 11:35 PM »
Not a Blade Runner fan to the extent of wanting figures.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 4, 2011, 02:53 AM »
If they're going to do it, do it with style like they did with the TV Movie sequel to Gone With The Wind.   ::)

You mean you never watched "Total Recall 2070," the mash-up Total Recall/Blade Runner TV series?

That's interesting news on the Sucker Punch/Superman/Xerxes films. 

On top of all that, it's sounding like they're gutting the new GI Joe film.  Sienna Miller, Gordon-Levitt and Rachel Nichols are already out and according to the news posted over at The Terror Drome, Duke, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are the only "characters" to return.  That's a quote from Nichols so I don't know if she means thae actors that play them or the actual characters.  But if they gut the Joe roster to those three mains, and pin their hopes on Channing Tatum, I fear for the producer's sanity.

I'd think that Hasbro would want all the main characters in the film because it means more toy money for them.  So maybe they're just going to dump the original cast and start over.  That makes more sense, otherwise, don't even make a GI Joe film, just make a Snake Eyes film and call it a day.  The ****** up thing is that in this day of terrorism, it would be so EASY to make a Cobra terrorist organization believable as the bad guys and do a good film based on the best of the established backstory.

This is one time "reboot" may not be a bad thing.  If we could forget pretty much everything from the first film and start over with a new cast and better back stories, I'd be happy.  But for ****'s sake, if they're dumping Nichols they better damn well think twice about keeping Tatum.  I hate that guy.

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Saw Battle LA this afternoon and wished I hadn't.  Had an ID4 vibe to it at times, but they could have easily have chopped 30 mins or so of this movie with useless dialogue.  More aliens and fighting please!  Felt like walking out a few times, but the last 20 mins or so reeled me back in.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN